New Chime Pro (2nd Gen) Won't Connect To Network

Hi Chelsea_Ring,

I was only allowed 2 attachments, so here is the screenshot of the message that pops up when the network connection fails.

Thanks for your help!

Walter in Davie, FL

wchettel,

I’m not as fancy as you - did not figure out how to post from another message but see my comments in the other post you copied this to.

I manage the Wi-Fi network for a global company (200+ sites). I too have an Orbi system at home and it has GREAT coverage inside the house. I kept getting to the network connection and failing. I reset the device for a full 30 seconds and started again.

One key change I made - I did not use the same network I used “before”. I said no to that step and manually selected the same network I had used before. This time it promted me to enter my WPA2-PSK password for the SSID. After I did that, the device connected and worked like a charm.

Let me know if this helps you.

10 Likes

DiveMedic,

Thanks for that workaround tip. It worked like a charm! My Chime Pro is set up now and working great. I’m not sure if it had anything to do with the problems I had but my Android Google Pixel 3 XL is running Android v10.

Thanks again!

Walter in Davie, FL

1 Like

Hey neighbors! @DiveMedic Thank you so much for your helpful tips and tricks while I was away and @wchettel I’m so glad that worked for you! You all are the best, and appreciate the help here in between neighbors. :smiley_cat: Hope you both are well and stay healthy and safe!

Worked like a charm, indeed! Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Hi,

I am having similar problems with connecting chime pro to my network. i have successfully set up cameras and they work fine but trying to set up chime pro now. The setup goes to the step where I have to connect to the Ring network. The set does not proceed any further. My device connects to the ring network. I have tried resetting my modem, router, chime pro but no luck. Have tried moving the chime pro around ( closer to the modem or even closer to the camera ), but still no luck.

What else should I try. I am based in NZ.

Thanks

Salesh

Hi @Salesh, I’m happy to step in and offer some help here. To clarify, are you able to connect to the Ring Setup Network for the Chime Pro? If so, what happens after? If you’re able to reproduce the concern and don’t mind, please attach a screenshot of where the setup gets stuck in the Ring App. Let us know what lights your Chime Pro is displaying during this process as well. This information will help us get a better idea of what you’re seeing on your end! :slight_smile:

Hi @Caitlyn_Ring,
Yes I am able to connect to the Ring set up network. That’s where the set up goes to. Nothing happens after that. Attached is the screenshot. The chime pro is flashing green all the while.

Thanks
Salesh

I have the exact same problem

Hi @Ian70 ,

I have just managed to connect after a lot of trying and reading a lot of solutions. What worked for me was that my devices location was off. As soon as I turned it on I was able to connect the Chime pro to my networ.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Salesh

1 Like

Hi salesh
Yes it helped a little it now goes through the motions to connect so thank you for that

But it now flashes blue for 10 flashes then goes red when it says it is connecting then nothing happens hope admin can help me please

Cheers ian

@Salesh Thank you for letting us know what you tried, and how that worked for you! @Ian70 Based on the light pattern you’re describing, it sounds like the Chime Pro is not able to successfully connect to your wifi network. I’d recommend bringing the Chime Pro closer to your router and resetting it before attempting the setup again. Hold down the setup button on the side for 15 seconds in order to complete the reset, then plug the Chime Pro in near the router and walk through the setup process again.

If that is unsuccessful, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. They’ll be able to take a closer look at what’s going on and provide more advanced troubleshooting steps. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support. Feel free to let us know what support recommends, as it may be helpful for others! :slight_smile:

8.4.20 - same problem with a Chime Pro (2nd Generation, confirmed)

Maybe I missed something in this conversation but I don’t recall seeing an indication whether the Chime Pro (2nd Generation) must be connected to one wireless band or another (i.e., 2.4 ghz or 5.0 ghz) or whether it may be connected to either. Can someone who succeeded in the setup confirm which network band(s) you were able to connect to?

@Ottabeealaw wrote:

8.4.20 - same problem with a Chime Pro (2nd Generation, confirmed)

Maybe I missed something in this conversation but I don’t recall seeing an indication whether the Chime Pro (2nd Generation) must be connected to one wireless band or another (i.e., 2.4 ghz or 5.0 ghz) or whether it may be connected to either. Can someone who succeeded in the setup confirm which network band(s) you were able to connect to?

For using the Ring Chime Pro (2nd Gen) it can be connected to either the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz Wi-Fi, but IF you want to use connect it to the 5 GHz Wi-Fi network, try these 4 channels: Ch36, Ch40, Ch 44, and Ch48.

You’ll have to change your router’s 5 GHz channel selection from AUTO (typical default setting) on the router (preventing hopping channels), and select whichever 5 Ghz channels of 36, 40, 44, or 48 that gives you the best performance. I had already split and set my router’s SSID name for 2.4 GHz (for example in my case “2WireXXX”) and used a 5 GHz SSID name with “5G” added (2 WireXXX 5G). For convenience sake, I use the same password for both. This way, depending on which SSID I log onto, I easily can choose to log onto either the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz Wi-Fi.

I did a little on-line digging, inspired by this thread. Also, I did a little experimenting with my recently purchased Ring Chime Pro (it is Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz dual-capable).

On a Ring Support products page I found, “The 5 GHz band utilizes select channels through 36 and channel 165.” Which kind of implies that Ring products can use all these channels. That sounds like a huge number of channels, but it actually is just 19 usable, separate channels, which are: 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 136, 140, 144, 149, 153, 157, 161 (at least these are the only 5 GHz channel choices on my AT&T Pace router).

With more digging, I learned about_“Unlicensed National Information Infrastructure”_ (UNII). I found geeky-stuff like that channels 36 to 48 are U-NII-1 channels, originally for indoor domestic home use. Higher channels 50 to 65 are U-NII-2B and are required to employ Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) and Transmit Power Controls (TPS) to avoid interference with weather-radar and military applications. All higher channels also require this DFS and TPS (whatever the heck these are). Channels 65 to 99 are U-NII-2C are prohibited for our use by new FCC rules (hence the big unavailable gap).

Experimenting with my Ring Chime Pro, whenever I tried to use any other 5 GHz channel that was not U-NII-1, my Chime Pro could not even see the 5 GHz Wi-Fi. The default setting on my 5 GHz router network was on AUTO channel (typical default), occasionally hopping to other channels on its own to avoid interference. Whenever my router hopped above Ch 48, my Chime Pro became intermittent and dropped offline, although my smart-phone and laptop were still fine with these higher 5 GHz channels. What’s all this geeky-stuff basically mean? Apparently , 5 GHz Ring devices do NOT like channels with DFS and TFS. That leaves only the 4 U-NII-1 channels.

5 Ghz is a higher frequency signal, so it has much more difficulty passing through solid objects, and even just air. But it’s nice when you are in a cluttered 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi environment. 5 GHz has a much shorter range than 2.4 GHz, so nearby houses Wi-Fi interference is generally low. This could be very different in dense apartment buildings. All things being equal, the lower Ch 36 should be the strongest among the four U-NII-1 channels, but signal strength is only one factor. Congestion and interference can also affect performance.

In my house, using a Wi-Fi analyzer app, I found that 5 GHz Wi-Fi channel 48 was the strongest due to some other local interference. But In the end, I set my Chime Pro on a fixed 2.4 GHz channel because it gave me the best overall Ring video performance on my cameras.

Well, this is my best guess as to why Ring devices are the “5 GHz picky.” Therefore, if using a Ring device on the 5 GHz Wi-Fi, I would recommend removing AUTO on the router (preventing hopping off a U-NII-1 channel), and select whichever 5 Ghz channels of 36, 40, 44, or 48 that gives you the best performance.

I know, I know . . . I need to get a life . . . but with the CoVid-19 thing, I had the free time, and I do think it is geeky cool. LOL :slight_smile: Maybe you will think this is interesting as I did and find this useful. At least this worked well for me.

@wchettel ,
@DiveMedic
@Chelsea_Ring ,
@castawaytech
@Salesh
@Caitlyn_Ring ,
@Ian70

3 Likes

I TOO, noticed that RING never asked for my WiFi password,
BUT I FOOLISHLY thought that RING retained and applied the
WiFi password from my other RING products - WRONG.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING

Do NOT take the default (previously used by Ring WiFi Network).
Select the WiFi network and SUPPLY THE PASSWORD.

GAWD. Thank you. It worked. I bought mine a month ago and have been so frustrated I just gave up. Such a simple solution and we all should have been able to get better customer support.

Well after numerous attempts to get my Chime Pro 2 to connect, I have finally succeeded. The secret is to say ‘no’ to reconnecting to the same network. This then brings up a list of networks, select your ‘same’ network, it then asks for the password, input said word and bingo, it connects. So it appears you do need a password to connect. Anyway it’s updating now and I am a happy bunny.

2 Likes

Worked!!! Thanks very much. The app needs updating as does the Help. Customer experience was pretty good apart from this annoying and frustrating process.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this! I was about to return my Chime Pro 2 when I came across the solution you used. Someone else posted it earlier, but your description was much clearer.

As it never hurts to repeat good advice, I thought I’d give it go too. Thanks again!

The Reset of the Chime is the important first step.

Follow the instructions as before…BUT when you get to the connect to a network screen, DO NOT SELECT THE NETWORK you used with your doorbell.

Doing this will present you with a list of available networks. THEN select the same network you used with your doorbell. NOW, you will be presented with the need to enter the password. When you do this, the installation process will complete and the Chime Pro 2 WILL WORK!

1 Like

Hello people.
I can’t add the new Chime pro 2 to my wifi network of 2.4 . I’m using it with the ring doorbell version 1.
I do everything right and when it comes to trying to connect to the WIFI network (Meo - Portugal) he says he can’t. How can I solve? I already did to enter the network manually but I still can’t access it.
Can anyone help? Thanks.