Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to: Extend Wi-Fi with a Chime Pro

Highlighted
Community Manager

How to: Extend Wi-Fi with a Chime Pro

Overview

The Ring app makes it simple to set up your Chime Pro and link your other Ring devices to it. If you know you will need a Chime Pro for your device, it is great if you can install the Chime Pro first before you install your device. This way you can connect your device directly to it during setup.

Chime Pro Placement

Ideally, you want the Chime Pro placed at a midway point between your router and device. If you place it on the other side of the same wall as your device, this could “suffocate” the signal by having it immediately pass through an abrupt difference, causing a skip in the signal.  If you place it too close to your router but far away from the device there could be too much space to extend the signal. Below are a few placement tips to help you make the most of your Chime Pro as an extender.

• In Range - your Chime Pro must be installed within the range of your router's Wi-Fi signal, preferably in view of the router, but at a distance that is also easy for far away devices to connect to.
  • Direct Path - when plugging in your Chime Pro try to imagine the “view” from it. If it can “see” the Wi-Fi router that is ideal for a strong signal.
  • Point - adjust the antennas on your Chime Pro so the side of the antenna is pointed toward the device you are trying to extend the Wi-Fi signal too.

Wi-Fi Security -

Extenders have a harder time connecting to WEP security versus WPA security. Most often you can check your router or with your internet service provider for which kind of security your Wi-Fi has.

IMPORTANT: Required Wi-Fi Speeds

The Chime Pro has a built-in Wi-Fi extender. Due to the way Wi-Fi extenders work, they halve your connection speed while extending the range of your network. This is why if your Wi-Fi speeds are not double what your Ring device needs it may not be helpful. For example, if you have a Video Doorbell Pro that needs 2 Mbps upload and download speed, your Wi-Fi router will need to have an output of at least 4 Mbps upload and download speed for the extender to bring high enough speeds to your device.This is also why if you already have extenders for your Wi-Fi you do not want to connect a Chime Pro to that extender.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: How to: Extend Wi-Fi with a Chime Pro

I couldn't get any improvment on the RSSI number using Chime Pro untlI decided to use an extention cord, which allowed me to pick an optimal spot between my WiFi Router and Doorbell, high up on a bookcase. I tried every outlet, and none were in good position.  Some even made the signal worse than straight to the Router, and I was about to return the Chime Pro until deciding to try an extention cord.

Now I get RSSI -46 at the doorbell, instead of the -69 I was getting without the Chime Pro. Also, folks need to make sure the Doorbell is on the Chime Pro Network. If you get the Chime Pro after already setting the Doorbell up with your Router, the Doorbell will still be on the Router network until you go to settings and put it on the Chime Pro Network.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you for this feedback @tap4154! Excellent pointers here. Distance is not the only culprit for signal interference, as appliances, furniture, and walls can also affect signal strength. Good call on placement, keep in mind you may also alter the antennae angle to further improve signal delivery from the Chime Pro. Thanks again! Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Can Chime Pro units be daisy chained?  I am trying to reduce signal loss to an outdoor location.

Highlighted
Community Manager

It is recommended that you do not have the Chime Pro's daisy chained. 

Got a question? The Community is full of answers! Use our Search bar at the top for quick results.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Does the Chime Pro work with the Floodlight Cams? One of  my Floodlight Cams is losing Wi-Fi so I'd like to add a Chime Pro to boost the Wi-Fi signal to the Floodlight Cam.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey there, @staci2s! The Chime Pro does work with the Floodlight Camera. Cat Very Happy

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I connected my floodlight camera to Ring Chime Pro and my signal strength was actually worse, so I reconnected back to my personal wi-fi. Why did signal strength not improve with Ring Chime Pro?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I have two floodlight cams set to my Chime pro extender. It takes care of my front garage light and my rear garage door light. I put the Chime Pro in the garage plugged into the ceiling where my garage door opener plugs in. It is the perfect site for me. Had it inside and it worked for the rear door light but not the front. Placed in the middle of garage ceiling and both lights get excellent wifi bringing down my RSSI from 62 to 48 on the front and to 50 on rear light. It works great and putting it in the garage solved my problems. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

You have to move it around until you find the perfect place. My chime pro does an excellent job and really knocked down the RSSI. I have my chime pro in the garage ceiling for two outside lights. Works super.