cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Chime require internet connection?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Does Chime require internet connection?

If my internet service goes down, will the Ring Doorbell still be able to communicate with the Ring Chime (over the LAN/Wifi)?  Or does operation between Doorbell & Chime require a connection through Ring servers?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Does Chime require internet connection?

Glad you asked @geo1963! Our Chime devices are wifi enabled and require wifi connection to communicate between your Doorbell and router. Without signal or the required power, the devices will not operate as intended. I hope this helps! Smiley Happy  

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

So to be clear it doesn't require internet connectivity just local network connectivity. Is that correct? @Marley_Ring

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey @stukes. Our devices are wifi enabled devices and therefore require a solid wifi internet connection from a modem or router. They will connect wireless over your wifi network and the Ring app. You will need to ensure you have a 2.4 Ghz connection (or 5.0 Ghz connection if you have the 2nd Generation of the Chime or Chime Pro). Hope this helps clear it up for you! Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Hi Chelsea, I understand they are connected via wifi.

Question is if there is no internet connectivity but there is still a wifi connection will the chime still work?