Chime pro network option in the app

On the chime pro device screen in the Ring app there is a network icon. It opens a page that lists ring cameras and offers the ability to change networks for each device. Unfortunately tapping one of the device icons results in an app failure and returns to the device page.

2 questions. For the Android version of the app is this a known problem?

When this function works does it allow selecting a specific chime pro when more than one chime pro is installed?

Thanks

The Chime Pro is designed to ensure your Ring devices are connected to the strongest signal (when there is more than one). While there is the option in the app to “connect to Chime Pro network”, your device commonly chooses the strongest one upon initial setup without having to be directed to otherwise. That being said, the request to connect or change network should not be failing or timing out in your app, it should certainly attempt to connect. When you get a chance, can you please share a screen shot of this error? Thank you!

Unfortunately the screen showing the error only appears for a fraction of a second so a screenshot isn’t possible as far as I know.

But, it’s not necessary to troubleshoot this app failure since the same functionality is available on each device’s health screen.

1 Like

One more follow up question. I have noticed that given 24 hours (or possibly just over night) a camera or doorbell will disconnect from the chime pro when the signal is weak and reconnect to the chime pro with the strongest signal.

Marley, is this what you are referring to in your reply above?

Is the Ring system setup to look for a better signal once a day? If this is the case, then I can stop the effort of trying to force devices to connect to a specific chime pro, and just wait a day for things to improve.

1 Like

That is understandable @F50 , thank you for trying! I’ll have the team here look further into it as promised :slight_smile:

You are correct about your Chime Pro observations. Indeed it is a “roaming” network for your Ring devices, and will check for the strongest signal to connect to. There is no set time frame for this to occur, however best practice would be to give it 24 hours upon initial setup for optimal connection. Luckily, as you said, you can rest assure your device is connecting to the strongest Chime Pro, although I still agree a reliable option in the app for this would be great!

Marley, here is a summary that might help anyone at Ring looking at this issue.

Over the past few weeks the behavior of the ring system at my house has been consistent. Stick up cameras (battery), the doorbell 2, or chimes (basic chime not the chime pro) will switch back and forth between being connected to a chime pro with the best signal (-50s and -60s ranges) and being connected to the chime pro with the worst signal (-70s and -80s ranges). I have just 2 chime pros.

Not every device switches between chime pros. The devices that do switch between chime pros do it about every 1-3 days.

Power cycling a camera, the doorbell, or a basic chime always results in the device temporarily connecting to the chime pro with the best signal, but within a couple of days the device will switch to the chime pro with the weakest signal.

So the design feature that you described above of automatically switching connections to achieve better signals either isn’t working for me or something is overriding it.

Again, emphasizing this behavior has been consistent for a few weeks.

Thank you for the update on this @F50 , if the Chime Pro closest to the device is easily the strongest signal, it should certainly remain connected to that one. Some differences that might make an impact here could be what is between the router and each Chime Pro (interference/ distance) as well as between the Chime Pro and connecting devices.

For instance, a Chime Pro near the garage might show the best signal, but the cam on the garage connects to the front foyer Chime Pro instead simply because the garage is creating a lot of interference that might not necessarily show in signal readings, and the foyer is quicker to connect to.

I recommend checking in with our support team at 800-656-1918, to get to the bottom of this and really ensure your connections are a constant. Feel free to update us with your findings!

Marley, thanks for the reply.

My layout is pretty simple. The chime pro with the strongest signal at the camera (-64) is 6 ft from the cam separated by one interior wall and one exterior wall.

The chime pro with the weakest signal at the cam (-82) is 30 ft from the cam separated by 3 exterior walls and one interior wall.

There are fewer sources of interference near the camera and chime pro with the strongest signal than at the other chime pro. But, there aren’t many interference sources near the chime pro with the weakest signal.

That said, the cam spends much more time connected to the chime pro with the weakest signal.

Marley, is it possible for you to email me at my address that you have on file? I have a non technical question about getting support.

The Rssi on both of these Chime Pros indicate a high level of interference which may factor in to these connections fluctuating. We recommend maintaining a signal better than -60 for optimal performance. This Community post is a great breakdown of good vs poor RSSI.

The Community is intended to encourage neighbor to neighbor interaction and group conversations, we do not direct message or email as moderators. However, if you have any feedback, or have a less technical question that you’d like acknowledged, feel free to contact Help@ring.com anytime :slight_smile:

Marley, thanks for your reply.

It is not surprising that the signal from a wifi device such as a chime pro at a distance of a couple of meters through 1 interior wall and 1 brick wall is -60. With 3 brick walls, 1 interior wall, and a few more meters of distance, -80 is not surprising.

The video from stick up cams is very good at -60. Almost as good at -70. At -80 there are video problems as expected.

I am surprised that Ring’s algorithm for selecting the best signal would select the -80 signal with a much higher video error rate. Especially since these signal levels and video problems are consistent

I have been frequently checking the signal levels with both the Ring app and a wifi level meter. I also check the video quality. I see very little fluctuation.

1 Like

@Marley_Ring wrote:

The Chime Pro is designed to ensure your Ring devices are connected to the strongest signal (when there is more than one). While there is the option in the app to “connect to Chime Pro network”, your device commonly chooses the strongest one upon initial setup without having to be directed to otherwise.

When I set up my 1 & only Chime Pro, I told my Doorbell Pro to connect to the Chime Pro Network.

If the Doorbell Pro subsequently finds that the strongest signal is instead coming directly from my Home Wi-Fi, will it “Switch to Home Wi-Fi” on its own?

If yes, when I check (in the app) “Which Wi-Fi network should Front Door use?”, will it then show that it is connected to my Home Wi-Fi?

Then, can I manually force it to “Switch to Chime Pro Network” again?

1 Like

Good question @DonC ! It will not automatically switch connections types from Chime Pro to your home wifi router. Once you’ve selected a network to connect to and authorize it to do so in the app, it will remain securely connected unless you change the network manually again.

Much like a mesh network will keep you connected to the same wifi SSID while switch access points, our Chime Pro is designed to connect the same way if multiple are present.

So, how do I make the Doorbell Pro continuously “roam” to find the strongest signal - even if that signal is NOT the Chime Pro.

I don’t want to “force” it to stay connected to the Chime Pro if the signal from my home wi-fi router is stronger.