Chime not working

Great job covering these steps @jdhjab! Your Chime should certainly be working. Understanding that the device does not light up as it is intended to, try completing a setup in the Ring app anyway. Follow the steps as normal, and see if the Ring setup network will show up and allow you to complete a setup.

If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Hi neighbors! You will notice some of your posts were moved to this thread as the experience or feedback is similar in nature. This is not at all the experience we intend, and we are here to help with a solution.

We’ve seen many neighbors have success by simply power cycling (unplugging and plugging back in) the Chime, or even trying on another outlet. If you have already tried this, please also remove and reinstall the Ring app on your mobile device and attempt a setup, even if the Chime light is not illuminating.

The next best step, if setup is still failing or Chime is not responding, is to reset your Chime. To reset your Chime please hold the setup button for 20 seconds. Once complete, your Chime should definitely complete a setup, whether it is via scanning the bar code, or through the manual setup process.

If this concern persists even after trying the above steps, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. Feel free to also let us know how this goes, as we will be sharing this feedback with our teams here! :slight_smile:

An update. I had called support and followed their restart and installation steps again. The chime did not connect. They simply said that the device is defective and out of warranty. I did mention this thread to them. But all I got was a response that it was very unlikely for multiple chime devices stopped working in the same month. No answer why the device would become defective after working well and no physical contact with the device up until it stopped working. Would recommend all to call tech support to highlight this issue. Very disappointed with the result.

1 Like

Same issue happened for me. So weired that it is happening to so many people now.

I tried reset 5,10, 20, 30, 40 seconds but the chime just stay on and not blinking.

Plugged off and on again but nothing is working. Seems that those chimes have a defect or wrong firmware update.

Hi everybody!

I had the same exact problem with my Chime that I’ve owned for a long time that decided to go offline. Long story short. I managed to speak with a Ring support rep on the phone. Instead of holding the reset button in for 5 or 15 seconds, the rep had me hold it in for 30 seconds. I know it sounds crazy but it worked. The Chime was able to reconnect to my WiFi network and is now working normal. I have read that other people have tried holding in the reset button for not only 30 seconds but longer with no luck. Maybe their Chime devices have different issues than mine. ??‍♂️For whatever reason, my Chime was able to reconnect at 30 seconds. I hope this helps. Good luck!!! ??

2 Likes

Same here. Did anyone find a solution?
How can I contact the support team ?

I have the same problem.

My app reports that it last connected on 6/4/20, but being in the UK I don’t know whether that is 6th April (as per UK) or 4th June (as per US).

I was wondering whether all those people effected have the original Ring Chime (box like with a horizontal grill) or the “all-new” Chime (with a flatter profile and mesh-like front).

If it is just the original, then being cynical, it does seem coincidental that people’s original Ring Chime has suddenly stopped working at the same time as the launch of a replacement!

N.B. Just got off the phone to their support - “Your product is out of warranty. Sorry for any inconvenience. Goodbye.”

Same thing happened to my original chime. Just getting around now to try and fix it as my gen2 chime has been working fine through all of it.

Tried resetting for over a minute and removing from a power supply for a few hours but still not working.

Worst part is I just signed up to the full yearly multiple device plan but the device won’t be covered as out of warranty.

Will be looking at Apple HomeKit once it runs out as that now has facial recognition and secure cloud recording for free.

I tried doing the reset, still not working ?

I tried doing the 30 seconds still not lighting up

My Chime Pro was not working either but it is OK now. I found it was on AWAY mode not HOME mode. It may not help anyone else but it worked for me.

Good luck.

The same issue here. No matter how long I hold the reset button, the chime (original one bought in 2017) does not switch to the blinking mode. The blue light is on constantly.

Ring app shows that the chime’s last health check was done on 27th July 2020.

With so many people having the same issue I start to believe that this was cuases by a firmware update that messed the device up (I just hope it was not intenational to push us into the All-new Chime).

The fact that support reps tell people that they cannot help them anyhow since their devices are out of warranty is embarassing.

Do anyone really expects me to by any other Ring device after such experience? I could still get the original Chime in some stores but at this point I simply DO NOT BELIEVE this company that the new device will not mysteriously stop working as well.

Just to be good customer I am going to call support once they open again.

EDIT : After spending an hour on a call with Support (got to 2nd level support eventually) they promissed to send me new Chime device. It is worth to call the Support.

1 Like

What about if the blue light won’t come on after power on router went off??

That’s exactly what happened to mine when my router power went off. It’s done it before but I cannot get the light to come back on, spent 4 wasted hours today on it. Not happy

Ring app shows that the chime’s last health check was done on 27th July 2020.

Sorry to hear about this neighbors! The best thing to try first, is using another outlet in your home, and ensure the outlet is not controlled by a switch. As the light is not illuminating, this may be an indicator that it is not receiving power.

If you are able to attempt a setup and see the Ring setup network, but cannot connect, try removing and reinstalling the Ring app, or attempting setup using another mobile device entirely.

The next best step, if the above did not help is to perform a reset. Please hold the setup button for 15 seconds, then attempt a new setup on the Chime. If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I have now rlinked my Video Doorbell to my 3rd generation Echo Dot and it is great

1 Like

And the same experience here - but the support told me “sorry, can’t help, it’s out of warranty”.
The best explanation I got was that “maybe some components have burned out” and suggested DIY approach “maybe you could open it and replace some components if some look burned”. Must have been a good joke around their coffee table.
Oh, support also told there are some conspiracies in the Internet about bad firmware updates and I should not believe those…

A post was split to a new topic: Chimes not connecting