Chime not connecting to wifi

Same here. Just setup the entire Ring alarm system this weekend complete with Ring’s Retrofit connector for my hard wired sensors. All of that was super simple. Added a Ring Chime today ( just bought from Amazon) and it will_not_connect to my 2.4 WiFi. I’ve tried at least a dozen times. Fails. I’ve read everyone’s super helpful comments and I’m not too different from any of those situations. The only thing I can see is perhaps a missed step. Add device in app, scan QR code, THEN plug in Chime device and follow prompts.
It ‘looks’ like the device add in the app is simply timing out. Pretty stumped here. Might buy another and try that.
Feedback to Ring if they are listening. Don’t just move onto the Chime pro model and deprecate the Chime. It’s smaller, more subtle for hallways and if anyone bought an alarm kit to use with this they got a signal booster included. Plus the chime pro is just well not nice looking ( this forum blocked this post with the word u_gly In it lol) with 2 antennas. I’d hate to have to use that.
Anyone know of a firmware version that works and a way to flash these to the most current ?

Update, I have resolved the issue. Here are some points that I learned that might help others.

1. Factory reset the Chime - little button on side, hold for 5sec. They say use a pin or paperclip but I just used a finger.

2. Unplug it, leave it unplugged

3. In app select add device, blah blah get to Chime, scan QR code

4. Plug in Chime, let it go from flashing quickly on the logo light to flashing slowly. this was the bit I wasnt doing, I think the Chime was on and looking for th eRing network services before I told the app about it, some form of timer/timeout happened, causing failure to complete device add.

5. If the App throws the 'the last time you tried to add this Chime you used this network < insert_your_wifi_name> - Do you want to use it again? ’ - Choose No and then choose your network again from the list. This ensures you enter the PWD correctly

6. This worked for me, I had already ordered a new Chime as I thought I had a DOA.

Its unfortunate you cannot see the device details until the device is added in your app, but the specs show a firmware of 1.1.27 . Once i got the Chime to see my network, got it added correctly there were some updates pushed to it, so I am not sure this was the original firmware that shipped on the device.

Anyways, working now, pretty cool little device, customizable ring noises etc, worth installing. Process to get it registered wasnt fun.

29 Likes

Finally fixed!

after some long hours, theirmphone support was helpful… we eventually got the chime to connect to my phone hotspot, support forced a firmware update to 1.2.9, then we did a ‘change wifi’ and it finally connected to my google nest WiFi mesh.
just thought I’d share that potential solution…

2 Likes

That last one may have to be my last attempt. Phone hotspot:(
I have 2 other chimes, connected fine.
The third one won’t. No matter where I put it or how many times I reset it.

Removing special character - & - from the name of the wifi network did the trick.

1 Like

The chime is yet another annoying product by Ring. It has nothing to do with special characters or whether you connect it ‘right next to your hub’. I have owned one for more than two years and its a fickle timewasting thing. It may take many times before it connects mysteriously for no reasons. You just need to keep trying and trying again. Then it will work fine right up until you have a power cut or need to reset your router. Then you will lose more precious time trying to manually reconnect it because it will have fallen off the network and cannot get back on…oh and if you have even more time to waste try to then active the chime on your Alexa and Google Home devices as I did because that also takes time and doesn’t work…there was a time when you could just stick some batteries in a push device and it would work the first time, every time and not be this complex…if Ring can’t make using their products as easy as that then the negatives start outweighing the positives…

7 Likes

Hi Wetty,

Great instruction, have been trying since yesterday with many many attempts. Reentering the WiFi name and password did the trick.

Thanks very much.

Delderic 76

4 Likes

Thank you - this definatelly worked!! Highly recommend trying this.

1 Like

I had the same problem, but I actually got the chime to finally connect by pressing the small reset button on the side of the chime WHILE it was attempting to connect to my wifi. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

tried lots of stuf --religiously following instructions to reset my chime after getting a new router. What worked in end, as suggested (many kudos) is saying no when prompted whether you want to reconnect to the network — then when network choices offered— choose my own network and password— ie re-enter it all

worked quickly!!!

should have looked here sooner

thanks

3 Likes

Hello,

I had great difficulty connecting a new 2nd generation chime to my existing system.I tried every suggestionI could lay my hands on to resolve the issue along with every tweak I had in the armoury for my home net.

Eventually I stumbled onto a solution, firstly abandon any attempts to configure the chime through the set up a device option in the app.Instead select the devices option and select your existing doorbell option.When you arrive at this page select the linked chimes from the six options available.The new page will now present you with the familar set up device selection page.Continue with the set up as normal select connect to home network and select another network/ wave band on your own network it doesnt matter just move away from the existing connection at this point.Once the connection fails reselect the previous network.At this point instead of the unable to connect at this time error the application will ask you to input your wifi password.Enter the password and the door opens a firmwire update will download and the chime will set up completely on your system.

I'm guessing a bug in the app isnt throwing  up the option to reselect the  network connection and just giving up instead.If thats the case temporarily disabling the security might allow connection and the firmware upgrade which maybe another way out.

Anyway it worked for me Goodluck!

5 Likes

Thanks very very much for your problem solver saved my bacon ?

1 Like

@Wetty

I canNOT Thank you enough for your post!!! Your specific instructions helped me successfully connect the Chime Pro 2nd Generation. After 2+ hours on the phone with technical support and trying everything I could, it was your post that solved the issue!

Technical support needs to know about choosing the network again and manually re entering the password. Something tells me that’s the key.

Anyway…Grazie Mille, Wetty! You also saved me from ordering a replacement (which is what technical support recommended I do!) and doing the same old dance with that unit!

Best wishes…

2 Likes

Thank you SO MUCH for this, Wetty! I was at my wit’s end when I found your solution. I followed your steps, and my Chime is finally working!

2 Likes

Sometimes motion is detected on my chime pro, and many times it is not. Help!!!

1 Like

Make sure your location is on. I tried all that crazy stuff as well and it was starting to feel like snake oil. Then I saw a reply to a post on another site that said to turn on location. I tried it and it worked. Like right away. Hope it works for you.

2 Likes

I have the same problem, why not we have , one solution, RING?

I followed your instructions to the tea and I did not accept the Wi-Fi that it already showed. I disconnected I went back into the Wi-Fi settings it showed me the current Wi-Fi I’m using I logged into that one and from that point on I was good to go. Thanks

1 Like

I have found that when you are asked to connect to your WiFi you must say no then choose your own WiFi again and put in the password manually. Bingo! It will connect, update the firmware and you are in business ?
Don’t worry about not being able to move your device - once you plug it in elsewhere it will simply cycle through its power on routine and reconnect, just give it about 15 secs.

2 Likes

Thank you so very much Wetty for sharing your technical assistance. I tried your suggestions for connecting the chime to the wifi and it worked.