Chime not connecting to wifi

Same here. Just setup the entire Ring alarm system this weekend complete with Ring’s Retrofit connector for my hard wired sensors. All of that was super simple. Added a Ring Chime today ( just bought from Amazon) and it will_not_connect to my 2.4 WiFi. I’ve tried at least a dozen times. Fails. I’ve read everyone’s super helpful comments and I’m not too different from any of those situations. The only thing I can see is perhaps a missed step. Add device in app, scan QR code, THEN plug in Chime device and follow prompts.
It ‘looks’ like the device add in the app is simply timing out. Pretty stumped here. Might buy another and try that.
Feedback to Ring if they are listening. Don’t just move onto the Chime pro model and deprecate the Chime. It’s smaller, more subtle for hallways and if anyone bought an alarm kit to use with this they got a signal booster included. Plus the chime pro is just well not nice looking ( this forum blocked this post with the word u_gly In it lol) with 2 antennas. I’d hate to have to use that.
Anyone know of a firmware version that works and a way to flash these to the most current ?