Chime Pro (2nd Gen) connects to Wi-Fi but "No internet connection"

Hi,

Randomly my three Chime Pro’s (1st Gen) just stopped working. I tried resetting them. two of them wouldn’t even light up. As they were all over a year old I didn’t want to waste further time on them. I went out and purchased three of the new (2nd Gen) Chime Pros.

I cannot get any of them to work. I have tried all three. I have tried with iOS and Android. The result is always the same. I go through the setup, connect it to my Wi-Fi, it tries to connect for ages, the app times out, and the Chime says, “Connected to your Wi-Fi but no internet connection”. And then the light starts to blink red. I have tried more times than I can remember now on three different units. I have tried connecting with both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

All my Ring devices were connected to the Chime network so nothing on my property was working. What I have had to do as a temporary measure is reconnect the most crucial cameras back to my Wi-Fi directly, which worked straight away without any issues. I can assure you there is nothing wrong with my Wi-Fi or network. It’s rock solid.

I spent a long time troubleshooting this yesterday with someone on tech support and as helpful and patient as he was, he wasn’t able to get any of them working either and said that second-line support would call me back within 2 hours. They never did.

I asked on the phone yesterday if there were any known problems with these new Chimes and was told there were none, but a quick search on Google reveals a ton of people facing the same or similar connection problems with them. I can’t believe Ring isn’t aware.

Please can someone from Ring assist?

Thanks

Hi @fsociety. With all the steps you’ve done, the only thing I can think of only one thing to suggest. Try setting up the Chime Pro to a wifi hotspot using one of your phones. If the Chime Pro is able to connect to the wifi hotspot, there may be some security protocols on your home network blocking the Chime Pro from joining. This isn’t to uncommon, but can be very confusing. If you are able to do this, I would reach out to your ISP to see if they can change their settings to allow the Chime Pro to join. Let me know if this works!

Hello,

Thanks for the advice.

I did this with a second-line support agent today on the phone. He was really helpful again.

It worked straight away connecting via the personal hotspot on the phone and it ran the software update. It was all up and running in the app and the agent could see it and make it chime. So, the device certainly works.

It still wouldn’t connect to my network though. There was no point in staying on the call with the agent. I was happy that he had proved the device was working off my network, so I started to troubleshoot more, and I found the problem. The problem for me was DNS.

I self-host a Pi-Hole server on my network that acts as the primary DNS server for all devices. It a network-wide ad-blocking service. For some reason, Pi-Hole is blocking DNS queries from these Chimes. I haven’t figure out why yet. It’s curious as the Ring Cameras are connected fine. I currently have the Pi-Hole DNS service disabled on my wireless VLAN and I have all three Chime Pro’s up and running. I just need to try and figure out why they are not playing nicely with Pi-Hole now.

Thanks

1 Like

Did you happen to resolve this? Same problem on my end using pi-hole and 1.1.1.3 for DNS.

I am having the same issues with Ring not connecting to my wifi. I dont have a clue what you are talking about with the pi hole. over my head. Who do I call about this. I just had charter come in and set up a new system. Things were fine and this morning everything went off line and won’
t connect back.

Hi @soapmaker. I’d recommend reaching out to our support team at one of the numbers available here. They can help walk you through any troubleshooting steps needed to get your Ring devices back up and running smoothly. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

Hi there!
This problem just occurred to me a few weeks ago.
The chime pro and other devices were working well. But suddenly the chime went off net for no apparent reason.
I am now unable to reconnect the chime… the other devices work just fine.
How is it possible that different Ring devices behave differently!?
Please debug and provide easy solution!!

Hi @userNico. There are a few things you can try here. First, try rebooting your internet router by unplugging it for about 5 minutes. Once your WiFi restores, check to see if you Chime has come back online. If that doesn’t work, try resetting your Chime and then reconnecting it to your wifi. You can reset your Chime by pressing and holding the side button for 10 seconds. Let me know if this helps!

Nope it did not help.
I called the support center!
The trick was:

• reset the chime.
  • switch mobile data and Bluetooth off on your mobile.
  • forget both your home wifi network and the ring wifi network from your mobile (the one used to run the Ring App).

Then follow the normal setup routine and it should work.

1 Like

I tried everything suggested here. I wouldconnect to WiFi but no internet access (said chime, all other devices worked). I Reset Chime Pro gen 2, forget network on phone, turn off data, and Bluetooth. Nothing worked when I switched routers. UNTIL I read somewhere that Chime Pro doesn’t work on high IP range addresses. It was assigned 192.168.0.193. I forced my Router’s DHCP to assign a low address of 192.168.0.28. It connected to internet with no problems!

4 Likes

Omg! @user376286

Thank you! I tried everything else too and this hits the spot! Solved my month long issue!

Definitely a firmware bug on the chime pro 1st and 2nd gen ring needs to address!

This is amazing. I also had my old 1st gen Ring Chime stop lighting up - so design flaw or planned obsolescence? After a couple hours faffing about with the same fixes I had needed for their doorbell, I tried a static ip ending .28 like you did and now it works fine.

IP ending .206 was its default choice and .16 failed with a misleading “wifi password incorrect” error - the sort of thing that happens when you assume everything going wrong is the user’s fault.

This annoys me a lot. Not everyone is going to be familiar with or have access to their router DHCP Server to do this workaround. I have to wonder, from a technical side, how they were able to put such an awkward bug into these devices and never consider it to be worth fixing in any phase of development and testing.

My chime 2 pro has been failing
to connect to internet for 24 hours . Ichanged the ip to .28
in DHCP Address Reservation and it connected straight away . thank you .

2 Likes

How do I do this? I am having the same issue!

Initially, this did not solve my problem, but then I looked and there was a switch on my network that had taken the .28 address. I would watch the Chime connect to the network, then immediately disconnect. IP address reservation was against a duplicate IP and the Ring device, understandably, didn’t handle it too well.

Thanks for the insight!

1 Like

Thank you! I had just about given up on getting my chime pro to work again. Assigning a low static ip did the trick.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.