CHIMES - Very poor intergration

Hello all:

If you are thinking about CHIMES, read this. They are very poorly intergrated, like an afterthought. If you just have a doorbell and one user, fine, they work.

I have multiple chimes, full security system with 35 sensors and 4 cameras. So, I have a lot of money in this stuff. After a month of installing and testing, I am amazed at some features and products but left unhappy with a few.

The chimes -

1. Only the owner can control them, mute them, etc. Shared users can not.

2. Muting a device does not mute the chimes, you have to do this independantly for all chimes.

3. The security system does not use the chimes at all, no countdown, not alerting, etc.

If anyone can tell me how to get the above functionality I’ll retract my comment. Until them, buyer beware.

Off topic but, no outdoor siren, come on, its an alarm system.

Hi @Brumey. Chimes are used specifically for Doorbells and Cameras and do not have functionality with the Ring Alarm system. For security purposes, only the owner of the Ring Account can make changes to any of the devices on the account. Shared Users are “View Only” and cannot alter your security system.

There are a few ways to silence a Chime. As you mentioned, you can independently turn off alerts for selected devices or you can use the Chime Snooze option to completely silence the Chime for a Selected amount of time.

Your Ring Alarm is equipped with Chirps to alert you of countdowns, motion or open/closed contacts sensors. These Chirps can be heard from the Base Station or your Keypad. To turn on Chirp Tones for a specific alarm device, just select the Sensor you want a Chirp Tone for, then select Chirps to save which tone you would like to hear. I hope you find this information useful!

Really, you did not answer the questions and conserns. You restated my conserns and confirmed that the Chimes are of limited functions.

I also think your Owner/Shared USer concept is flawed. You need to be able to assign ownership like controls. I know Shared users can turn the system on and off, so, being able to change a setting is really not a big deal.

The countdown can not be heard at many of my entry and exit points. Solution… None!

Device chirps are useless if you can not hear the base station. The system needs remote annunciators so control tones and chirps can be heard where you need them.

I am begining to think the Ring Security system has hit its peak and is being depretiated.

1 Like

Hey @Brumey. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature!

If you are unable to hear the sounds coming from your Keypad and Base Station, I would reach out to our support team to investigate what might be happening. Both of these should be making sounds and have volume control. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Let me know how support is able to assist you in getting your system up and running.