Add A Ring Solar panel to Extend Battery Life

how did yo set up the solar panel to the Stick up camera. Maybe I set mine up wrong.

I added the plug to the top hole in the back as the camera is facing front and on the wall – is this right. Do i need to do something with the battery too?

Plugging the solar panel into the back of the camera should be pretty straight forward assuming you bought the correct solar panel for your gen. 3 camera. When setting up the cam, set it up for “battery mode”, not “wired mode”. Also, under “Device Health”, the Power Source will indicate “Power Outlet” when the solar panel is connected; but in actuality, that means “battery”. Under “Settings” for your cam, in the upper right corner you will see a small icon of a battery; it will have a lightening bolt in the center when it sees the solar panel connected and there is daylight. But these solar panels aren’t very effective in keeping the battery charged. Much aggravation about this if you read enough comments about it here in the “Community”. There’s a lot of positive reviews on Amazon about them but something has changed and they don’t really work as intended…at least for the gen. 3 stickup cams (like I have). YMMV.

Same problem here

Hi there, here the problem has been fixed and it’s been working properly, we see the cam connected to the panel, the charge rarely drops below 98%. Maybe you should reach out to ring so they can address your situation.

Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Add A Ring Solar panel to Extend Battery Life

1 Like

Re: Add A Ring Solar panel to Extend Battery Life

I called specifically about this issue this morning. I have a solar panel connected to my stickup cam and it shows as “Not Connected” and Add A Ring Solar panel to Extend Battery Life.

Mine is the Original Stickup Cam model which is no longer being sold/supported. Apparently, since it is the first gen, it won’t show in the app that it is connected, even though it is.

Just thought I would pass this information along for those with the Original Gen 1 Stickup Cam.

1 Like

I just bought a week ago the ring camera with the ring solar panel. I have it connect by wire to camera and the device health is saying Not Connected and its not charging. I live in FL so we have plenty of sun to charge this thing. Do I need to return the solar panel or is there a solution to this issue via the app?

Hi there lucky floridian person!(we’re in eastern Canada…??‍♂️?). Chances are that your panel is charging, this is an ongoing bug that i thought was fixed but is not and Ring doesn’t seem to have any intention to fix it…If your’s behaves like our’s sometime it is going to say connected and sometimes not…Keep an eye on the battery’s level. Something that sometimes work is accessing live view for a few seconds and checking the status again. Here despite this bug the battery rarely drops below 97%, hopefully it’s going to be the same for you. Perhaps if enough people reach out to ring they’ll finally decide to do something…??

Stay well!
I

That is not correct, it is a bug that ring is not fixing. IT briefly worked properly here for a while now it’s more often than not saying add a solar panel. It is frustrating that ring is not fixing this!??That being said in our case it is charging despite the message. Fix it ring!

Its probably charging…keep an eye on the battery level, but is annoying that ring does not fix it!

Hi,

If it behaves like ours, sometime you’ll have the right status sometimes not…Until ring finally decide to fix it…or not.

Stay well!

…The problem is back…??..but it’s charging…

Our solar panel has not charged the battery since november 26TH. Prior to that the charge woud not drop below 98%, since the 26th no charging. The camera has been reset, brought inside and the battery charge witha a usb charger, once everything has been re-installed outside the batter keeps dropping. The twitter team told me the panel only charge the battery when it gets below 90%, is that new???

Hello, you are not doing anything wrong, this is an on-going bug that ring does not fix…

From what charge% does the panel start to charge the battery? Another user told me that the panel will only charge if the battery drops below 90%…? Is this correct?

Hi @Arjulaad. Can you please contact our support team for further assistance with your Solar Panel? They’re able to pull up your account and device so they can take a more in-depth look to help make sure everything is working properly. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hello, calling your support team is time consuming, that being said i did, i was told to wait after winter is over…??? Go ring go! ??‍♂️

Hi , hope it stays that way??. Here it goes from connected to add a panel, several times a day and recently the panel does not seem to charge correctly. A tech person at ring told me that the panel will only charge when he battery drops below 90% which is NOT the way it worked since we had it.

No longer works properly , it switch between connected and add panel, several times a day, on top of that the panel no longer charges properly.