Add A Ring Solar panel to Extend Battery Life

Same problem here. Ring stick up camera outdoor connected to a solar panel. Doesn’t seem to be charging and the app says “Add A Ring Solar panel to Extend Battery Life”” like it doesn’t recognize that it’s plugged into a power source. Even during sunny southern california days. Is the panel broken?

6 Likes

Same issue here. Installed a solar panel to my spotlight cam. And I get the same msg in my app.

5 Likes

I’m also concerned, once the panel plugged in the spotlight cam, the app still display add solar panel…however it does charge…is it normal??

Same thing here ??‍♂️

1 Like

Here it does charge, went from 65 to 100 in less tahn 2 days, but i’d like to see in the app that the panel is indeed conncected

1 Like

We have the same situation here but it is however charging, it’s bit odd

The message is misleading. There is a section called Solar Panel Status. I have it installed as well and looking there to see the status doesn’t give me a status other than letting the consumer they installed the panel incorrectly. If it suppose to be an advertisement then there should be another section for stuff like that.

4 Likes

Hi There! Here , after installing the panel did not change anything in the app, we still get a message to install one to increase battery life…but it is charging for now. It would be helpfull to have a confirmation that the pane is hooked to the cam. One tech support told us not to worry that it would be addressed in an app update, the other one told us the panel is defective…Bit disapointing to say the least.

Stay well! :v:??

Do Ring support have a solution this issue? I’ve just returned my doorbell 2 solar charger and await the replacement. Reading all these posts, is there a major manufacturing defect? surely we can’t all be installing the charger incorrectly???

2 Likes

same here. until a couple wks ago, was charging and (living in FL) device was alway at 98-100%. solar is no longer charging. if i hardwire the USB cord to an outlet, my device charges all the way. plug back in the solar cable, and a wk later down to 89%.

i don’t want to buy a new solar panel just to have the same issue and find out it’s software.

2 Likes

IT is beyond me why Ring does not own this issue and corrects it!

Very disapointing to say the least.

1 Like

Hi Neighbors. This added feature is advertising the Solar Panel as an addition to your battery-powered devices. This message is not an indication of your solar accessory connection.

It’s best to observe the battery percentage throughout a sunny day to see if the battery level is changing. It’s important to cosider the factors that can cause battery to drain quickly , to ensure the solar charger can be most effective. Rest assured we’ve shared the feedback on the in app experience with the team.

1 Like

I don’t think you’re right, users of the stick-up cam are reporting that the app shows that the solar panel is connected and that is what a rep at ring also told me. You see if it worked properly it would be very usefull, we had a very sunny day yesterday and the charge of the battery did not increased…so i have no way to know if it is indeed connected and working properly. The panel appears to stop charging intermitently…It is not acceptable for ring to not address and fix this!

Stay well.

3 Likes

Hi ,

Wich cam are you using?

Thanks!

Update to the lack of solar charging…
I’ve installed the replacement solar charger for doorbell 2 (you need to provide the solar charger serial number to Ring to get a replacement. It’s on the back of the charger, not somewhere like the box to be helpful) and unsurprisingly, it’s still not charging the doorbell. Are the solar chargers just a fake bit of plastic? Surely Ring’s quality control can’t be that bad that 2 x boxed sealed solar chargers are faulty? Or is Doorbell 2 faulty? Has anyone got a doorbell 2 that actually charges connected to a solar charger for doorbell 2?
I feel the axe coming out this weekend. It’s Johnny!

You could ask for a level 2 tech, if they have some, see if they have an explanation/solution for you. If they do have a solution i’d be curious to know…but more work for you. ??‍♂️✌??

They could also upgrade you to a 3…

And out of curiosity did you try, like Immaxim, to charge it with an usb charger?

I have the same situation with my Spotlight Cam. I’m not sure if it makes any difference, but when I originally added the device, I selected “Spotlight Cam Battery” and the installation went effortlessly. Later I added the “Solar Panel for Spotlight Cam Battery - The perfect charging solution for your Spotlight Cam Battery”. Followed all the installation instructions, verified the location in strong sunlight and checked the connector, and then checked the device health. Note there is no QR code for the solar panel. As reported by others, “Solar Panel Status: Add Ring solar panel to Extend Battery Life” (see attached).

One would expect to see “Connected” and/or “Charging”, similar time other devices that use the solar panels. Suggestion that it should show which type of Solar Panel and status, eg “Solar Panel Connected, Charging” or “Ring Super Solar Panel Connected, Not Charging”. I realize this would require either firmware from the solar panel or at setup scan the product bar code and some way to monitor the charging capacity.

I reconnected the device hoping that it might reset the status. No luck, the Solar Panel status the same, but noticed that the battery status increased; therefore confirmed that the panel is working!

I’m curious that if when adding the device and selected “Spotlight Cam Solar”, this would have still occurred. Perhaps it’s just an initial configuration issue that the firmware does not recognize the later addition of the Solar Panel.

So…I removed/disassociated the original device and added it back as a “Spotlight Cam Solar” thinking it may be due to the way one must initially add the Ring Spotlight Cam - after all it is labeled as a “Battery” on the box. It went through the entire setup including firmware update and…same status “Add a Ring solar panel to Extend Battery Life”. ?

Recommendation: Concur with others in the community. Add a valid Solar Panel status that aligns with similar products that support the solar panel - meets customer expectations. To exceed, add panel type and actual charging status.

3 Likes

Amen! I do not understand why Ring just keep it’s head in the sand and does not do anything about this!? There are a LOT of users having this issue.??‍♂️?