Woeful networking capabilities

Hi.

I brought a battery Stick Up Cam a few months ago. Its been an utter nightmare to keep it online with a RSSI or 67+ or offline. The device itself is 12ft away from the WiFi router through one brick wall and one partition wall. Other (non Ring) devices, such as phone, laptop etc work fine up to about 20 feet away from the router in the same direction.

I wanted to get this fixed as I was planning to take out a subscription and then get a Doorbell also. I brought a Chime Pro which was marketed as a solution to this issue.

The Chime Pro is installed 4ft away from the router through a partition wall and has an RSSI of 47 still. The Stick Up Cam connects to the Chine Pro (sometimes!) with an RSSI of 64. This is barely any different despite only having one wall to go through.

Is it possible I have a faulty camera? How would I get it exchanged. Or do I just give up on Ring, send it all back and go with Nest like I was recommended to.

Grateful for any advice.
Cheers

Hi there, @Moodbeam. The RSSI on both of these devices seem rather high for the distance between them and the network. For the Chime Pro, the best placement is an outlet that is half way between the router and the Stick Up Cam. Please ensure this outlet is not enclosed or obstructed by major obstacles (i.e. furniture, multiple walls, appliances, etc.).

The next best step will be to confirm the Chime Pro to Stick Up Camera connection. Linking for notifications and extending network connection from the Chime Pro to Stick Up Cam are two different processes. To confirm connection, follow the steps in this help center article, and ensure to choose your Chime Pro as the connection. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Thank you @Marley_Ring for your reply. I have checked that the Chime Pro is not only 3 feet away from the router (through an unavoidable plaster wall.

The Stick Up Cam Battery is connected to the Chime Pro Network about 12 feet away now with clear space up to a standard external cavity brick wall, on the other side of which the camera is placed.

My mobile phone still receives a far better signal further away outside. Does my camera have a faulty aerial?

Router → Chime Pro = RSSI-43
Chime Pro → Stick Up Cam Battery = RSSI-69

Of course, @Moodbeam! Given the distance and signal path details of these connection, those RSSI numbers certainly seem odd. A great way to test the Camera connection itself, is to connect it directly to router wifi (eliminate Chime Pro) and bring the Camera inside nearby the router. Then, while checking the device health in the Ring app, trigger a motion event and move a few steps from the router. Wait a moment to see the difference between the optimal RSSI and after moving. Repeat this process until reaching the mounting area to see if there is a specific place where this signal strength is interfered.

If the RSSI does not improve as intended during this test, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.