WiFi compatibility of devices

My next question may sound silly - I hope so - but I’m kind of new at this Ring thing.

Last week I purchased a Ring Doorbell Pro 2. Installing it I noticed it wouldn’t work on my 5GHz WiFi network. After searching for a while I found the solution: Ring works on 5GHz channels above 100. So said, so done. It works.

Proud of this accomplishment I purchased a Spotlight Cam Wired for my backyard. What I didn’t notice at the purchase was that this cam only works on 2.4 GHz. It doesn’t pair with my 5GHz network. How can I make the Spotlight Cam work on my network?

I do have a dual band router 2.4/5GHz, but I don’t like the idea of downgrading my WiFi network to 2.4GHz to make everything work. I call it downgrading because of the heavy competition of networks on 2.4 GHz: all the channels are heavily occupied with other networks. 5Ghz is fairly free of competition.

Is the Chime Pro 2 - I was thinking of purchasing a chime, anyway - a solution? I’ve seen several messages and articles stating it’s a dual band device which also extends the WiFi-signal. Am I naive to think that I can create a network with two WiFi frequencies?

Anyone with a wise advise?

Hi @Marcelweber. Since you do have a dual band router, are you able to create a guest wifi network that is 2.4GHz just for the Spotlight Cam to use? This way you can still use the 5GHz network for all devices that are able to use it without impacting the connection of anything else. A Chime Pro does act as a network extender for Ring devices only, but I do think connecting the Spotlight Cam directly to your router with a 2.4GHz network would be the first solution to try, if you have that option available.

1 Like

I have a chime, not sure it is a pro though, came as a bundle with my Ring 3. Ring 3 is 5Ghz compatible, chime is only 2.4Ghz, hence, pointless connecting the Ring 3 to the faster network and the extender capabilities of the chime won’t work!

Mark

Hi @Marksfish! The latest Chime Pro does have 2.5 and 5 Ghz capabilities, if you are interested in having both options to extend. I do recommend using 2.4 Ghz anyways, as it is often more effective over distance and through exterior walls. I hope this helps! :slight_smile: