Why has Ring.com web page access to past videos been discontinued?

Rather than trying to review some past videos on a cellphone, I tried to access my videos via the web on my laptop, a feature that Ring claims (or claimed) to have. When I logged into my account and tried to view past videos, the videos only went back 7 days instead of 60 days.

I followed the instructions on the Ring.com Help page https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001834066-Sharing-Your-Ring-Videos under the articles “Downloading and saving a file on a computer” and “Accessing my Ring videos on the Web” but that was no help whatsoever.

When I contacted Ring Support, I learned that web access (via a browser at Ring.com) is NOT available anymore, and the only way to get full functionality on a laptop is to download and install the Ring App from the Microsoft store. This is contrary to my understanding that, in addition to access via device apps, I would have access to my account from anywhere via the Ring website, a significant feature for those of us who travel extensively WITHOUT our personal laptops.

The Ring.com help page is outdated and incorrect, and the Ring tech support rep acknowledged and apologized for that, but gave no indication that she would initiate an update.

I would really like to know why access is not available on Ring.com. I can’t believe there are any technical barriers to this functionality.

Hey @BrianKC. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention! I apologize for any misinformation and confusion you may have been given in this situation. As long as you have an active Ring Protect Plan for your device, any videos you can see in your app should be accessible through the website at ring.com.

We actually have an open investigation into this issue at this time as our site team is looking into this. So far, we have not been able to replicate this issue on any other browser other than Chrome. The Chrome browser versions that this is happening on are as follows: 80.0.3987.116, 80.0.3987.87, 79.0.3945.130. If you are using any of these browsers versions, please let me know. Additionally, if you are using another browser that this is happening on, please let me know what browser, the browser’s version, and your computer OS system so I can pass on this information to the team looking into this. Hope to hear back from you soon!

I am also having this issue. I wanted to look back at the time lapse on my doorbell and my floodlight, and it won’t let me. I can’t even bring up the live view. It is the same issue with the app downloaded to my computer for the microsoft app. It’s really frustrating. Sometimes we need a bigger screen to see things on since the app fails on android when you turn the phone to make it bigger.

The only browser I have downloaded is google chrome.

The first picture is what it looks like from Ring.com on google chrome for the computer…the 2nd and 3rd (which are screenshot together in order) are from the microsoft app downloaded to my computer. It comes up as the second picture, and then when clicking on the camera I want to view, it goes to the 3rd picture and you can’t do anything.

@MissMe Hey there! The concern that you are having is a bit different than the concern of the OP. The OP was referencing that they are having a concern with the event history not loading in full, as in comparison to how the event history in your Ring app will be in full.

For your concern, when it comes to viewing the Live View, you will be unable to view Live View from Ring.com. This is by design. Then, with the Windows App, it is something that we are working on to have streamlined to look the same as the Ring app on your phone, but you will see that it may not behave like the Ring app on your phone completely. After clicking on your dashboard preview, you will need to click on that grey “Live View” button at the bottom in order to view the Live View from your Windows app on your PC.

Rest assured, I could see the need for wanting the Live View on Ring.com, and I can see how us continuing to push streamlining of all our apps would make the neighbor experience better. I will make sure to pass on your feedback to the appropriate teams! :slight_smile:

I want to be able to see my dashboard on a computer like I do on my ring app on my phone. We use to be able to. I want to be able to click on my camera and just got forward or backward. Especially on the flood light and doorbell for the timelapse. This can no longer be done on the computer. It is truly frustrating.

Thanks for your prompt response, Chelsea.

I tried viewing my history on two different computers, both with Chrome Version 80.0.3987.149. On one computer the history goes back to Mar 7 (24 days), and on the other it only goes back to Mar 21 (10 days).

I also tried viewing in Microsoft Edge, and the full history seems to be there. But, just like in Chrome, the only way to get to the history list is to zoom out, since there is no scroll bar on the main screen, only on the history list.

@MissMe Thank you for your feedback! I will make sure to pass this onto the appropriate team for you. If you can, please feel free to add this as well to our Feature Request board! This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place.

@BrianKC Thank you for getting back to me and letting me know that it seems to be isolated to Google Chrome! I got an update from my team today to confirm it’s only for Google Chrome at this time as they work diligently on a fix for this history error you’re finding. I’m glad you didn’t seem this on Microsoft Edge! I will make sure to pass this onto my team and update you once we seem to have a fix for this in site. :slight_smile: