Video Playback goes to fast

Video play back (unless its motion playback), is really fast and cannot slow it down. Is there a way to slow down the playback?

4 Likes

Hey @rsasurfer. I know that there are video editing softwares out there where you can slow down the video if you need to! You aren’t trying to slow down your Live View, just recorded events, current? I recommend to pursue some video editing software you find is a good fit to slow down videos, and then you can always download your video and edit them on that software to then slow it down!

1 Like

How is that even an acceptable answer. We didnt buy a $350 doorbell to need to download footage on a computer and buy additional software just to slow it down. Why can i not just watch all footage in real time via app.

9 Likes

How can i download every seconds of 20mins playback that goes in 1 second on playback mode?

2 Likes

I agree. This is honestly useless to me if I cannot go back and review whats happening in the past that does not “motion detect”. If I get a video editing applicatiomn (which typically is NOT cheap), how will I view the past times on the new application? I wouild have to somehow figure out how to export a days capture??? Why can the RING app not just have a SPEED option to speed it up or slow it down? ARRGGG !

6 Likes

Please review below posts. This is a HUGE concern and honestly for me to download and utilize a 3rd party video editing software, is just unacceptable. I have to figure out how to export a days worth of video (who knows how to do that from RING, and then I have to have a compatiable application for the video to be edited and viewed, I do NOT want to edit the video, I just need to slow it down. Editing is definitely a security problem as video can be compromised.

Is there any solution for this or something we can add to the programmers / developers to put this in a RING app update?

6 Likes

I have to agree here. this is a huge issue not being able to control playback speed.

I just had a drive-by incident in my neighborhood, the suspect drove by my house, and police want video footage from my ring. It is imposible to find when the suspected vehicle drove by with this super speed playback, and being able to download the footage in small incriments makes this a ridiculously tedious task. This is honestly embarassing. Idk why i bought this if I have zero control over the recordings.

4 Likes

Dear lord. I took all my footage into video editing software and the frame rate is so low that slowing the video down does NOTHING to help watch it. It is seriously like, 1 frame every 5 seconds. Who ion their right mind thought that was a good idea for a security camera?

2 Likes

Hey neighbors! Thank you for your continued feedback here on how the playback for the video is for you. I appreciate the information greatly and will make sure to pass this onto the appropriate teams for you.

If you’re noticing that the playback in your Event History Timeline seems to go by too fast, please ensure you are watching videos when doing this and not watching the Snapshots that were captured in between. Snapshots will show up for only seconds when viewing it in the Timeline view, so you may have to download the Snapshot to have a better and in-depth look.

If you watch a video and the playback of the video, whether it was a motion, ring, or Live View event, you may need to review your connection strength. You can learn more about RSSI in our Community post here. You can also review some ways to trouble this concern in our Help Center Article here.

@Admor I’m happy to look at your video with you, if you could attach it here. I would like to see what you’re seeing, but it sounds like you’re running into Snapshots that you’re viewing, or a poor video quality.

When attaching this video, you will need to compress the MP4 file into a ZIP file, as ZIP files can be attached to your reply and not MP4s. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as YouTube, and then share the link to the video in your reply. Alternatively, if the video is saved in the Event History in your Ring App, you can choose to share it via email and copy the link that is generated.

This guy stole my 800 paint sprayer at 429 am. Whats the point of giving ring my money if this is all i see and my only hope is my neighbors cameras arent ring ? Like the time goes so fast he looks like a cloud of dust ?

1 Like

Chelsea - To clarify, when you say use a snapshot to be able to resolve the speed issue, is there a snapshot video that is slowed down or are you just talking about a snapshot picture, that is essentially a screenshot of one frame of the “too fast” video? How can we see the seconds that are skipped in the “too fast” video?

Hey @chair. I was just making sure that there was no confusion with a “fast video” being actually a snapshot from the Snapshot Capture feature. If you have verified this fast video is actually a video on your Event History Timeline and not a Snapshot Capture, could you download this video and share it here? I’m curious what this fast video looks like, but there isn’t a way to slow down the video speed in the Ring app.

When attaching this video, you will need to compress the MP4 file into a ZIP file, as ZIP files can be attached to your reply and not MP4s. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as YouTube, and then share the link to the video in your reply. Alternatively, if the video is saved in the Event History in your Ring App, you can choose to share it via email and copy the link that is generated.

Asked another way… during times when there was not a motion event or a live view, how can I go back in the history to see the Event History in real time instead of only the collapsed time-lapse video? (For your comparison, if you look at video provided by Nest, you can see the historical video of every second of every hour, no matter if there was an event or not.)

2 Likes

@chair Thanks for clarifying your question, I’d be happy to step in for Chelsea here. Ring Doorbells and Cameras are not designed to record continuously, and they do not record 24/7. As such, there will not be any footage to view outside of motions and Live Views. I hope this clears things up for you.

yes, im having the same problem

someone brokein to my car and could not figuer it out , from which direction he came and went due to fast video play.

need to slow it down.

1 Like

This is incorrect. We can view every second of the past several days, but only at Mach 5. If Ring was not recording between events, viewing an expansive timeline at any speed would be absolutely impossible. There would literally be no video viewable except events or live…The ability to control the playback speed of NON-events, as in when there is no trigger to slow down (ie motion, live view, etc), is not dependent on those kinds of events. If there is video to view, Ring has been recording and as such, there is no reason why we aren’t able to slow down timeline playback. Since the code is already there to slow down events, it’s not difficult.

This is from the point of view of a programmer.

2 Likes

I’ve been having the same behavior on mine, everyday for the last two months at least. It’s just maybe 1/10 videos that gets recorded as normal. I got i the camera exchanged by customer support, but it even happens with the new one.

Hi,

Here is an example of the video which I downloaded from 11:06 am to 11:21am, but it runs the whole video in 2 seconds even after downloading to my phone.

This way paying for 24hrs snapshots is really waste of money.

Thanks,

AFP

1 Like

Hi Caitlyn,

Do you mean paying for 24 hours snapshots is waste of money ? because when people can’t get what they are looking for, then it means it is a useless feature…

Looking forward to your response and then will terminate my subscription accordingly.

Thanks,

AFP

1 Like

@AFP There is no 24/7 recording offered, regardless of if you have a Ring Protect subscription or not. When you subscribe to a Ring Protect plan, you receive the Snapshot Capture feature, which will periodically take snapshots from your Ring’s Live View. This is not the same as continuous, 24/7 recording, which is not available in any form for Ring devices. I hope this helps clear up any confusion! :slight_smile: