Video doorbell 2 wont connect to Orbi mesh

Hello, i bought this product some time ago and found that i was never able to connect it to my orbi mesh system. Thankfully i still have my virgin media hub still radiating also and that worked.

That said, its not been a great relationship. It takes forever for any notification to get to my device and so by the time i do get the notification the person has gone. I have tested this by ringing the doorbell and then waiting an age before my device (iphone) is informed.

Even that I have turned a blind eye to for sometime but now I am looking to invest in a security system and my first thought was Ring! I almost bought the floodlight cam as the first of my security upgrades today but stopped myself because of these connectivity issues.

1. Why does the doorbell not connect to my orbi? It has a strong signal throughout the house and radiates both 2.4ghz and 5ghz

2. When will you provide a firmware fixthat will support 5Ghz? 2.4Ghz is soooo oldskool!

3. If I did expand on the ring security solution am i to expect the same troubles as i do currently?

Hey there, @Frezon. Sometimes a router can refuse a connection because of certain security protocols that are set on the router. This may be why your Ring Doorbell cannot connect to your Orbi system, so please read up on ports and protocols here. If it’s still unable to connect, it may be a good idea to reach out to Orbi about this.

Most Ring devices are designed to function with a 2.4GHz WiFi signal for the best range. We do have some devices, like the Ring Video Doorbell Pro, that does work with a 5.0GHz WiFi Signal. You can find more information aboutimproving WiFi signals here.

Overall, my hunch is that, once you get the Ring Video Doorbell 2 connected your Orbi, it should be simple to add the others.

I’m sorry, but this has been going on for a while with many of Ring customers. Is there a plan to make ring compatible with Orbi rather than passing the buck to the other company?

Very frustrated. I have 5 cameras in my property and the ring security system. At this point, I don’t trust any of them, including the security system. Please help.

1 Like

Hey, there’s definitely an issue with Ring and Orbi. The good news is there is a confirmed workaround that I confirm is working.

Please check out post #2 on this thread

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Best-Performance-for-Ring-Devices-Orbi-Config-Settings/m-p/1768448#M64620

I personally followed from step #7 as my Orbi was already setup and I couldn’t be bothered for the more advanced steps. My Ring spotlights and Door Bell 2 work fine now with Orbi.

1 Like

The recommended solution people are pointing to in this thread includes changing the NAT settings from SECURE to OPEN. This also, from my testing, appears to be the change that actually fixes the issue (the other changes on their own don’t seem to correct it, at least not for me).

Given than Ring is in the security business, it is unacceptable for you to be endorsing a solution that weakens the security of people’s Internet routers and thus their internal home networks.

How is this still an issue? I just bought an entire Orbi router and satellites. Every device easily installed EXCEPT my ring doorbell no longer works.

I contacted Ring support, also have an ORBI system. Ring wont take ownership of their problem with certain routers and have no intention of doing anything to resolve. I tried everything in all forums via Ring and Netgear to no avail. I finally resolved another way, had an extender TP link RE450 which I used prior to getting the ORBI system. I incorporated the RE450 into my ORBI network. I setup the Ring doorbell, chime, bridge and lights on the RE450 wifi. Since I have done that, all ring devices work like a charm. Ring really needs to figure this out as its obviously an issue with security protocols that clash on their servers/devices and some manufacturer routers instead of passing blame off to everyone else.

1 Like

Hi TMF, it seems like a lot of Orbi/Ring clients have the same common issues. My Ring will work sporadically despite my RSSI being -40. I, like you had used a TP-link RE200 extender, which worked ok. The reason I got the Orbi mesh was to increase the signal and get a better response than the extender. So I was wondering if you could step me through how you incorporated the extender to the Orbi network please? Hopefully this will improve my results with the Ring doorbell like it did for you. Thanks in advance

I was fighting this issue with the ring cameras and ORBI router for 2 weeks. I finally figured out the problem was that I changed the name of the wireless network to something different. Last ditch effort i changed the name back to the ORBI default and all my cameras immediately started working.

1 Like