Video Doorbell 2 Stopped Working

My video doorbell 2 went offline either July 23rd or 24th. I pulled the battery out (it’s entirely battery powered) thinking the battery had just died. Recharged it and entered setup. The blue lights on the front spun and it reconnected to my wireless network. I thought I was good to go from there.

The next day, the ring was again disconnected. I pulled the battery again and charged it. Put the battery back in and it didn’t respond at all. Wouldn’t even enter setup and it wouldn’t flash any blue lights despite holding down the black button for 30 seconds or longer.

So I bought a brand new battery, charged it for about 10 hours, plugged it into my doorbell and…NOTHING. My Ring, which is only about a year old, is now completely dead. What do I do? How do I get it covered under it’s supposed 3 year warranty?

2 Likes

We have pretty much the exact same situation. Ours is wired, the battery is charged. It just up and stopped working, I have even tried a hard reset and no response. Its almost as if it was just switched off or if an update was pushed that bricked it.

1 Like

I have exactly the same situation - A fully charged battery and hard resets do absolutely nothing. So now what should I try?

Mine too! My Ring 2 is hardwired and continues to stop working every other day or so. I have to keep starting the setup process over and over again. I just bought this less than 2 weeks ago. Thinking about returning.

Sorry to hear about this experience neighbors! This should not be happening. Although it looks like most of you have completed these steps, the best method to resolve this concern would indeed be to charge your device thoroughly. Charging for several hours is always a good start, as is trying out other outlets or USB cables.

If you’ve done this, or have gone as far as replacing the battery for those with Doorbell models that have a removable battery, please try a reset. Again, it looks like you all have tried this but to be certain, please hold the setup button on your Doorbell for 20 seconds. Once completed, attempt a new setup in the Ring app.

If these concerns persist after the above steps, and your Doorbell remains unresponsive, Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Please let us know how this goes, as it might help other neighbors who visit this thread! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ultimately I had to have my Ring replaced. A new one is being sent as we speak. I suspect that it got bricked during a firmware update.

Having said that, the Ring Support agent thought my Ring only came with a 1 year warranty which meant my warranty would have expired last June. He said because I was so close to the end of the warranty, he was going to replace it regardless. I thought this was really nice.

Except, I bought my Ring from QVC and it’s supposed to have a 3 year warranty. I guess Ring isn’t aware of this?

1 Like

I’m having the same despite having a passed health report, but when trying to view live video it’ll say attempting reconnect, then I get an error.

Well, I just tried to reset mine, removed it from the app and mine won’t even reset. After holding the setup button even after 20 seconds… it blinks blue a few times then goes back to solid white (hardwired) guess I’ll be calling support ?

Well just got off the phone with tech support - since I followed all the ^ a new doorbell is being sent out tonight. Something is definitely going on with all of us having this issue within the past week. ?

1 Like

Well just got off the phone with tech support - since I followed all the ^ a new doorbell is being sent out tonight. Something is definitely going on with all of us having this issue within the past week. ?

1 Like

I don’t know why they listed this thread as Solved, this solved nothing. I am pretty sure you (Ring) bricked our devices with an update and your only solution is a replacement, then we find ourselves conveniently outside of the warranty window.
I have no solution but to buy a new one.

Wow, great service and way to stand by your products Ring.

4 Likes

Ha…My ring is not working after few years of owning it. I’ve done everything I can. I’m going to charge the battery for few days and do it again. :angry:

Strange that it is showing pictures but doorbell is wired to ring in house but it is not at all working and can’t hear anyone trying to talk. I’m figuring that it is broken, but it’s been like this for a full year. Does a great job with photos, but of all times, it didn’t get a picture of the person who stole our sign from front yard.

Having similar issues. Within the last week, Live View no longer works, motion detects show no video, and when I’m standing in front of the doorbell to trigger a detect, the following occurs:

Red motion detect light illuminate, then it immediately flashes the blue circle.

Fully charged battery, RSSI of -40. This started after the last firmware update

This is the fourth to fifth time I had to call to trouble shoot my device and the second time you had to send out a new device due to camera stop working. This is insane! I’m very unpleased and frustrated on this issue and all I was told that you can reimburse me $30 for my plan after me investing in your company spending almost $200? This is not acceptable

1 Like

Sorry to hear about this experience, @Rosmith . As you’ve worked with our support team on this prior, they are the best to bring these concerns to and will be able to assist further. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I have done everything mentioned to try to get my doorbell to work and it seems to be dead. I will never spend my money on another ring product. This only made it about a year before dying. I will not recommend ring to anyone!

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. The same exact thing happened to me. I called Ring and spoke to Dillion who was very nice but he said that since my Ring was out of warrantee even though I just purchased 4/4/2020. Dillion said that the ring I had was well over a year old so the company I purchased it from must have had it in their warehouse for 1 year before I purchased it. Now I have to buy a née one. This is not good customer service at all!!!

I have the same problem, had the doorbell just over a year and it’s dead, battery fully charged still dead. Tried hard reset 20 seconds still dead. Tried new battery still dead. What a waste of money. Very disappointed

Has anyone had success with Ring actually solving this issue if the device is out of warranty? It’s clearly a common enough problem that it must have something to do with the device itself. I called yesterday and was told I can buy a new one for 35% off - why would anyone take this option? “Spend more of your money to buy a product that is clearly defective and may, through no fault of your own, stop working at any time, and we will provide no recourse other than to try to sell you more stuff.”

3 Likes