Unverified Motion Event - every 10 mins

This is happening to us every night between 3am and 6am every 10 mins.
During the day everything works perfectly.
We have now chosen to switch of the door chime and silence our app so we are not disturbed! Defeats the object of having the doorbell!

1 Like

I have been getting these notifications every 5-10 minutes every day all day for over a week now. I have done everything from changing the battery. (Even though it is hardwired) I took the app off my phone and re-downloaded it. I have tried changing the settings. I even have a wifi booster and I still get “unverified motion events” and a black screen. It won’t even bring up the live view. These did not start happening until after the update. I agree with the others that it is more than likely a software issue. If this problem persists, I may have to get rid of the ring and get another wifi camera.

1 Like

For now just turn off smart alert. The person detection under smart alerts is what is causing this issue. Ring need to figure out how to implement person detection for battery powered devices. Person detection works good only for ring door bell pro, spotlight cam wired, and floodlight cam. The battery powered devices are slow!

1 Like

We have 2 hardwired door bells and have been having the same issue on both. I’m going to turn off the human detection to see if that fixes it.

I did what the tech suggested. I deleted the app and cleared all my cookies and rebbooted my ihpone. I then re-installed the ring app. Now my app is working fine. As I was typing this the Amazon man rang the doorbell and worked fine. Hope this helps…staty safe.

1 Like

Thank you for this update @tunabahama! Removing and reinstalling the app can certainly assist other neighbors with their concerns.

Neighbors if you are still experiencing this concern please ensure wifi signal strength, or RSSI, is sufficient, as well as your Ring app is up to date. Feel free to confirm mobile device type as well.

I have begun having a similar issue. I receive several unverified motion events each evening. This just began a few days ago. I changed settings to ensure motion events were verified, but continue to get several unverified events. During the day, I rarely get them, but it is not picking up actual motion, like a delivery driver or lawn mower, or even me walking out the door and returning inside. I will try to uninstall and reinstall app as suggested to reset. It’s just very difficult to rest during this time of unrest In our country when your doorbell is constantly telling you a person has been detected at your door.

Thank you for this update @ML2! The nature of this concern sounds like a possible motion trigger within range. Our battery powered Video Doorbells utilize a PIR motion detection that can detect heat signatures. While we try to provide various settings in your Ring app to fine tune motion, there are times where something environmental might still trigger an event. Please ensure there is no reflective surfaces within the field of view that might be causing a false alert. Please also ensure there is no heat source such as a vent, HVAC unit, or running vehicles.

If this concern persists, Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Your link loops me back to the community help center. I’m having the same issue with my Doorbell2. I also have a floodlight cam and it is working fine. My RSSI is between -40 and-58 at all times. Cameras are on their own designated guest network. Even actual doorbell rings are generating blackout videos labeled “unverified motion event” This just started happening after the update that distinguishes people. The feeds online appear the same as the feeds in the app. Just blacked out videos. I have my timeline set to record snapshots in between motions and the weirdest thing is you can see the video, or snaps in between each event, but the event is blacked out.

Hi I’m having the same issue. Like everyone else said, troubleshooting does not work. My wifi is plenty strong enough for all the other items I have in my home. I had the Ring 2 for well over a year with no problems and never saw this happen once until a couple of months ago… after a series of updates that added all these supposed bells and whistles such as detecting a “person”. I think you all need to look into updates causing the problems and stop blaming customer wifi!

I have a RING security camera and mines goes off so much, sometimes its says unverified motion event, and majority of the time it ust oges off and nothing is being recorded. I’m honestly starting to get annoyed.

I have had this ring door bell for a few years. All of a sudden in the past 2 days I am getting all these notifications night and day every 10 min or so. I have no idea why. It is a nuisance. This will be the last RING I will buy.

Hi
I am having the same issue as many, my history are showing as unverified motion event s. I have attached a screen shot. I have followed all support advise and rebooted everything. My settings are showing as all working effectively. Please advise ? Can this be a software issue?
Thanks Jayne bishop

Triggering every minute for me. Its getting annoying and my doorbell is hard wired and it is draining the battery due to constant recording . There isn’t any motion out there. I also check to see if a bug or spider was crossing the path of the sensor. Driving me nuts!! I tried to upload the screen shot of the 50 notifications over the last 50 mins but it won’t let me

Hi neighbors! This should not be happening at the rate at which it seems to be. The first thing I recommend checking, is if there are any linked devices in your Ring app that might be triggering another to detect motion. Try also removing and reinstalling the Ring app on your mobile device.

Once complete, review the motion settings such as modes, zones, and people only mode to ensure they are set as desired. If this concern persists, try resetting your Video Doorbell by holding the setup button for 20 seconds, and performing a new setup in the Ring app. Feel free to let us know if this works! :slight_smile:

For the past 6 months I have been getting unverified motion event at odd times all day and night. I tried to call Ring but the office seems to be closed…and no one to contact me back. I have tried everything and I cannot get any firm answers to this problem from the internet. The malfunction is waking me up all night because the doorbell makes a loud sound when the motion detector is activated. Could it be little fly bugs causing the activation?

I am at a loss!!! I have depended on the Ring Doorbell for over 4 years until now.

Some one posted to check the router speed might be one possible solution.

Please HELP! HELP! HELP!

MY Ring Doorbell 2 has been doing the same exact same thing for the past 2 weeks. It’s driving me nuts. I hear my neighbor open the door and walk past my apartmernt, I get the alert to my phone that motion was detected, and when I click on it to see the video, it’s a black screen and says “Unverified Motion Event” and it never winds up recording anything other than a black screen. Sometimes the motion alert says that it’s a person at the door, and sometimes it just says motion at the door. Either way, no video. What gives?

I also believe this is 100% a Ring software issue. I have 400 megabyte internet speeds, my WIFI is completely reliable and none of my other devices have an issue staying connected.

What I have realized, is that in the Ring app, I have it set for “People” notification only. Yet, I keep getting alerts for people but the software is saying it’s “unverified motion” meaning it can’t determine if it’s a person or not, so I get the alert but no recording because I asked for people notifications only. I think Ring is trying to do too much with the app, WAY too many settings and the software has not caught up with the vision that Ring has for the app.

Sorry for the 3rd post in a row, but my doorbell seems to be working much better after taking out the battery and re-connecting to WIFI and when I did, the Firmware updated for 5 minutes and it’s very quick now to load the Live View. I also have not got another UME since the update. I tuned off the Human only setting so that it does not have to try and determine if it’s a person or not… Just send me the motion alert, and I’ll use my own eyes to see what or who it is.

I’m actually surprised no one else mentioned the shear amount of DATA that is being burned on these every 3-minute alerts by the system. I have ring security and it’s picking up unverified motion seriously every 5 to 10 minutes all day long, from what I believe is my flag near the front porch which it shouldn’t be picking up because I have it set for people detection. I’m going to turn off people detection change the sensitivity and see if that helps for the next few days but for the last 3 months I’ve actually gone over my data cap which is pretty high at 1.3 terabytes of data a month. I’ve been forced to upgrade to unlimited because I can’t figure out what’s going on but now that I look at my alerts and knowing that there’s no way to turn off video capture being pushed to the cloud I’m certain that this SOFTWARE BUG is costing me real money. ?? One thing is for sure, it’s not the speed of my internet or the connection to my cameras, that’s ridiculous…

I’d really like to see away to turn off uploads to the cloud and store 24-60hr locally or something, that would be pretty amazing. At min, the ability to still be alerted WITHOUT recording. I’d been trying to avoid all the unverified motion but don’t have option to just stop recording and retain monitoring with the camera’s I bought to monitor around our home. ?

After going to disable things, I almost wonder if the software conflicts are the “Motion Verification” and the “People Only Mode”. Before there was the people only, we just had motion verification, then they added people which layers on top of motion verification. ?? Going to turn off verification and leave on people only and see what happens. Others with this persistent issue of unverified notifications may want to check these two toggles and adjust.