How to Turn Off / On “Hi, you are currently being recorded” Notification - Motion Warning feature

This notification is the Motion Warning feature, only available in the US and on selected Ring devices. It is a digital recording that notifies visitors that they have triggered motion detection and are being recorded.

The message plays through the speaker on your Ring device. It says: “Hi, you are currently being recorded.”

You can follow the steps below to turn the Motion Warning feature on or off.

• Tap the three lines on the top left in the Ring app
  • Tap Devices
  • Tap the specific device you want to enable with Motion Warning
    • The next screen is the Device Dashboard
    • You’ll need to have at least one Motion Zone established in order to activate Motion Warning
  • Toggle on Motion Warning in the top right
    • Once Motion Warning is turned on, you’ll get a message that it’s enabled
    • The volume of Motion Warning cannot be adjusted
    • To disable Motion Warning, simply toggle the feature off in the Device Dashboard

For more information on the Motion Warning feature, you can check out our Help Center Article here.

1 Like

Hi. A couple of days ago I turned off this facility on one of my cameras and turned on for another. Now I cannot find the facility at all. Could it have disappeared?

Hi @TimWe. The Motion Warning feature is available on the following devices:

• Stick Up Cam Elite
  • Stick Up Cam Plug In (3rd Gen) in wired mode
  • Indoor Cam
  • Spotlight Cam Wired
  • Spotlight Cam Mount
  • Floodlight Cam
  • Floodlight Cam Wired Pro
  • Floodlight Cam Wired Plus
  • Ring Video Doorbell Pro
  • Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2
  • Ring Video Doorbell Elite

If your device is not eligible for the Motion Warning feature, the toggle button will be gray and you will not be able to use the feature. If your device is eligible, you will be able to toggle Motion Warning on via the Device Dashboard by tapping the menu in the top left > Devices > your Camera or Doorbell.

Many thanks. I note your response however the facility was available some days ago on 2 of my devices and now it isn’t shown at all. It’s not even greyed out. Just not there.

@TimWe I’m not sure what Ring device you have or which region you’re located in. The Motion Warning feature is currently only available in the US on the devices listed above. If you are not in the US and you do not have one of the devices listed above, you will not see the Motion Warning feature as an option. If you have any further questions on your Ring devices and what features you should have available, please follow up with our support team at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

I’m in the UK and I can assure you I did. I turned it off and now need to turn it back on.

1 Like

Great idea. Thanks ever so much everyone.

I would like to subscribe

Hi @user16430. You can find steps for subscribing to a Ring Protect plan in our Community Post here. For more information on our Ring Protect plans, check out our Help Center. :slight_smile:

It would be great if this feature could have a schedule. For example, turn motion warning on at midnight, off at 5am. It’s a great feature, but adding a schedule, similar to other features on the app (like alerts) would be useful.

7 Likes

Hi @user17475. I suggest voting for this in our Feature Request Board. You can find that specific request here!

1 Like

That is a great idea!

1 Like

Hi I have the stick up cam Elite up outside, and I have the motion warning set to on… but it doesn’t do anything when motion detection occurs. How can I fix this?

Hi @Betty_Forgetty. I have responded to your post with the same concern. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi. I’ve tried turning off the motion warning to stop the recorded message but when i do this i no longer get motion alerts to my phone. This is despite motion alerts still being toggled on in the app. Please can you advise what i need to do to stop the motion warning message being played but still get motion alerts to my phone. Thanks

Hi @Catmum. I would recommend verifying that your Ring app is up-to-date with the latest update available. If you have checked this and are still having the same concern, give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

None of this helps. I want to schedule turning the audible off during the day. I ended up buying a timer to turn the unit off and on. What a piece of junk.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.