Trying to re-add kwikset 909 to ring base station

I had trouble with my Kwikset 909. I accidentally reset it. I’m now trying to add it back. I’m adding it manually using the Works with Ring icon.

When I add the device, I get the following error.

Device Security Error

The device added has an incorrect security configuration. Remove the device and try again.

I remove the device successfully. But, when I try again, I get the same error.

I have tried this a dozen times.
I have moved the base station to within 12 inches with at least some of the attempts.
I have also removed the smartlock through the backdoor (advanced options > z wave).
The ring app responds immediately after I press the button on the daughter card.

My guess is that the daughter card within the smartlock is not relinquishing its original z-wave connection.

The daughter card is a Stanley Black & Decker

Home Connect, Z-Wave 500-00005-001 Rev. 1

It’s a perfectly good lock. Hopefully someone has an idea on how to get past this security configuration error.

Thank you in advance.

Hi @user293071. I would first follow the manufacturers instructions for factory resetting the smart lock. Next, you’ll need to “remove the z-wave device”, like you have previously mentioned. Lastly, you’ll need to reboot the Base Station, which can also be done in the Ring app. After these steps have been completed, you can attempt to add the smart lock again. If you’ve tried this to no avail, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Thanks Tom. The reboot did it.

2 Likes

Hey @user293071. Glad to hear that this worked for you!

1 Like