Transformer Hot Ring Pro 2

Hello
Originally installed a 16V 30VA with 50W resistor and kept getting Poor Power output in the ring app for the video doorbell.

Swapped the transformer out with a 24V 40VA, power output in the app is Good but boy that transformer seems to be running hot to me… measured the temp at 121F.

What normal? Should I be concerned about a fire hazard in my attic? Running 18/2 wire no mechanical chime in the set up.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @foxttrott. For this concern, it may be best to contact a licensed and trusted electrician in your area. I would recommend disconnecting power to this transformer until it can be properly inspected and tested. Also, what model doorbell do you have connected?

I have a ring pro 2. I disconnected the transformer, the temp rose to 144F with no load. That’s not ok.

I’m trying a third transformer today, different brand. Is the resistor causing the problem? I spoke to a couple folks and they are flummoxed as to why this needs to be in the circuit path.

I have no mechanical chime, per instructions the resistor is required.

From what I can tell so far, the pro 2 seems to need a very specific power supply, too much or too little and it’s not happy.

I’ve reached out to an electrician, but so far nobody wants this small job…

Hi @foxttrott. Where did you find that the Ring Pro 2 requires a resister? The Ring Pro 2 does not use a resistor and doing so can cause damage to the Ring Pro 2. You should be using the included Pro Power Kit V3 for installing the Ring Pro 2.

How to Connect Your Ring Video Doorbell 2 Directly to a Low Voltage Transformer (Without a Pre-existing Doorbell) – Ring Help

Granted this is referencing an earlier generation, but again, there’s no documentation to address the Pro 2 specifically… seems to indicate a fire hazard if you don’t.

There’s nothing in the included instructions addressing what you can or cannot do without a mechanical chime- do you just wire direct from the transformer?

How do you install the power kit without a mechanical chime? Strip the wires and solder in place? Why?

Thanks

Hi @foxttrott, happy to chime in for Tom here. The article you linked is referencing the Video Doorbell 2, which is a completely different model from the Video Doorbell Pro or the Video Doorbell Pro 2. The instructions in that article do not apply to the Video Doorbell Pro 2, but you can find the installation steps for this model here. If you do not have a mechanical chime, you can use the Plug-In Adapter, which you can find here. I hope this helps clear up the installation options available for the model of Doorbell you have specifically.

Thanks Caitlyn

Ok, so it appears the only way to power the Pro 2 is:

1. With an “indoor only rated” plug in adapter OR
    2 Doorbell transformer with powerpack installed on a mechanical chime

You cannot wire the Pro 2 directly to a standard doorbell transformer, by passing a typical mechanical chime on the same electrical circuit? It appears you can with the Pro 1, you need to pull some tabs of the power pack etc. but those tabs don’t exist on V3 Power Pack.

That critical piece of information would have been good to know before I started this project.

The wiring on my old doorbell chime is too thin (22 gauge) for a video doorbell, so I ran a new line (18 gauge) on a shorter, new route direct to the front door to power the new Ring Pro 2.

My new chime is the digital Ring Chime Pro extender.

Thank you

BTW I tried to get this issue cleared up by calling Ring directly, but got conflicting information.

@foxttrott I double checked this information with my team again and yes, those are the two installation options we suggest. If you do want to wire the Doorbell Pro 2 directly to a transformer, you are able to do so but we recommend reaching out to a qualified electrician to help with installation. Please ensure you refer to your local laws and building codes before performing electrical work; permits plus professional installation may be required by law. A qualified electrician can help walk you through the wiring safely if you aren’t comfortable with it or have any detailed questions.

If you do still want to wire it directly to a transformer, there is some verbiage and information during the setup process that may be helpful as well. I’ll attach some screenshots, but if you walk the Doorbell through a new setup you’ll see this information again as well, which will mention that the Pro Power Kit is not needed as well. Thanks again for the feedback neighbor! We realize that this is not detailed in the installation guide, so we’ll pass on this feedback to the team to include it in our Help Center documentation. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for sticking with me, this is what I was looking for. I can wire this up no problem now that I know what can be in the circuit.

1 Like

Ok, so I may have a new problem. Now the doorbell felt quite warm … I put a thermometer on at and sure enough it was 122F .

I measured 18V with a multimeter at both the transformer and the doorbell.

It’s a covered porch, so it’s not getting direct sunlight on doorbell.

Is this normal? Seems unsafe to me…

Thank you for this update, @foxttrott! We appreciate you sharing your concerns with us. The best next step will be to reach out to our support team. This will allow them to provide more in-depth and direct assistance with this.

Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hi I am in the UK and do NOT have a mechanical chime I have the pro 2. I have installed the supplied transformer in my fuse board and have a run an 18 guage cable from the transformer to the ring doorbell pro. Please confirm if this is an acceptable way to do the installation.

I do not wish to use a plug in transformer

HI @badayuni92. The Ring Pro 2 is capable of being wired directly to a low voltage transformer. The transformer needs to meet the voltage requirements that are listed on the Ring Pro 2. I hope this helps.

I have the same problem Doorbell Pro 2 is very hot to the touch. Everything (so far) works correctly but I’m afraid to leave it hooked up when it runs this hot. I use a Prime Chime Plus (PRCP2) from NICOR. both Ring and NICOR say this combination should work. I have tried to call the support team, but I don’t have hours to wait on the phone.

@Thespone Did you ever get your Doorbell Pro 2 to work with the PRCP2? I wired the Pro 2 direct to the outputs of the PRCP2 (No power kit) as suggested by Nicor. It worked great for about 24 hours and then just stopped working. I don’t know if it was heated or not as I was not there most of this time. The PRCP2 is no longer putting out any voltage. Appears to be dead now and I’m not sure who to blame.