There is no ownership prompt

I purchased a home from an elderly couple with a Ring doorbell installed. They don’t know how to remove their Ring devices from their account and it’s not very practical for me to drive to their new address in a different state to walk them through it.

When I try to register the doorbell or Chime, the app says the device is registered to someone else and links to a help page. The help page says to “follow the prompts” in the app to request ownership of the device.

There are no prompts in the app. The documentation is wrong.

Hi there, @Kevin11! When changing the ownership of a Ring device, the first step is to request this from the prior owner. Attempting a setup of the device in the Ring app will prompt the previous owners of this request.

If you have a way to contact the registered owner you can send them a link to this help center article, which contains step-by-step instructions on removing the device from their account.

If the above does not help you obtain ownership of the Ring device, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.