Stick Up camera

I am setting up my outdoor stick up cam that works off a battery and solar panel. During the set up process, I am asked how I will power the camera, and states: “Requires a nearby power outlet. This camera requires a Ring indoorOutdoor Power adapter.” This obviously does not apply to this particular type camera. Why I am not getting a choice of a battery/solar?

I honestly don’t think it matters that much other than to tell you some extra setup steps and such.

I originally installed mine with battery only and told it such, only later to run the power cable to it. Once plugged into the external power source it automatically flipped the power type in the health page to “Power Outlet”.

I have gone through the setup process both ways (powered, battery) and it didn’t change anything about the camera’s features or capabilities that it shows you.

Thanks for your response. I do have one other question. Since the wi-fi signal to my outdoor camera was weak, I decided to start over and deleted the camera from the Ring app.

I got a wi-fi extender in order to extend the signal. Once I press the reset button on the camera, which will reset it to factory specs, do I need to program the camera to the same network as the extender, as well as having my cell phone on the same network? It would be best to have all devices on the same network, correct?

Normally wifi extenders rebroadcast the existing SSID. But, not knowing what you got or how you configured it I’ll reply more generic. (But normally you connect to the existing, and the client will connect to whatever is broadcasting that name the strongest from it’s perspective.)

Yes, when you put the camera in setup mode after removing it from your ring app, you have to set that camera back up. You can name it the same and it will pick up your recording history, but setting tweaks (motion zones, frequency, linked devices, etc) all have to be set back up for the device. So this will be just like setting up the first time, with the exception that the app will offer to use the previous connected WIFI network that you used. (If this is right, use it, otherwise tell it no and feed it the information required.)

Not all devices have to be on the same network. It makes it easier in terms of troubleshooting and general app config for new devices, but not required. And there are some tests that imply the same network.

In the future you might consider investing in a mesh wifi network (Nest WiFi for example.) They work great and extending coverage is as easy as adding a node.