Stick Up Battery Camera - Setting a Motion Zone - Screen Cut Off

For anyone still following./reading this. I spent 3hours on the phone with Ring CS today and they have agreed to replace the camera FOC.

They troubleshooted every possible scenario and process to try and reset the camera, but to no avail. The insist it’s not software related, and a new camera will solve the problem, but I’m not holding out much hope. I think it’s a software issue.

I will update this when the new camera arrives.

1 Like

The new camera arrived this lunchtime and, surprise surprise, it has the same issue. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Mines exactly the same! Always used to have motion zones for the full view of the camera up until approx a month ago. So now the camera misses most things

1 Like

Hey neighbors! I wanted to step into here to clear things up and paint the full picture for you in this situation of using the Motion Zone feature and the Stick Up Cam 3rd Gen while wired via the Plug-In Adapter, or by battery via the Quick Release Battery and/or Solar.

If you have the Stick-Up Cam Plug-In (3rd Gen), this means that you are supplying constant power to the device and allowing it to operated on the wired device motion settings. This means that when wired, you will not see a crop when selecting your Motion Zones because the device will use our wired devices motion detection to capture events based off of your more in-depth settings to select from.

In comparison, if you are using the Stick-Up Cam Battery/Solar(3rd Gen), this means that you are having the camera operate off of the battery power that is available to it (and recharged to the battery from the solar panel), thus having it operated on battery device motion settings. These settings differ from wired and have some limitations to help conserve battery life and how the device functions, which is why you will see this crop. You can read more about how battery devices function with Motion Zones in our Community article here.

An important note from that article is that “Motion zones can not be extended to the full area of your Live View when creating these zones. This is because the area your camera covers is slightly larger than the area your motion sensors cover.” If you have your Stick Up Cam 3rd Gen operated via battery or solar, we recommend changing the power mode to Wired.

I ​hope this clears this up for you, neighbors, and if you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know below.

2 Likes

This problem is far from solved! Is the additional battery drain a result of additional detections with a larger zone or just because of the larger zone itself? I recently invested in 3 battery stickup cams, an extra battery, 3 solar panels and a Ring alarm system all of which I find are not up to the job of creating security. Tech support says I can’t get replacements or return any of these devices because they were a warehouse purchase. I bought all the camera stuff at Amazon who owns Ring! What a terrible decision this turned out to be :weary:

Chelsea_Ring Up until this past Sunday (8/15/21) ALL my Stick Up Cam 3rd Gen cameras running on Battery with Solar charging Allowed me to configure the motion zones to the full area of the live view. It is OBVIOUS that ring rolled out an update to our cameras that TOOK AWAY this ability for the battery powered 3rd gen cameras. Ring needs to put this ability back. If you must, put a warning in the app it may impact battery life like some of the other features do.

1 Like

Identical problem. I set up two Ring Stick Up Cam Battery cameras several weeks ago and was able to configure the motion zones without issue.

After recharging the batteries this week (first time) and double checking the view and zone placement, I now get the same cropped image that prevents the motion zone being set properly. Mains-powered Ring Indoor cameras are so far unaffected.

I’m not sure if this can be blamed on a firmware update as the problem only started for me a few weeks ago and I was (as far as I know) up-to-date with firmware before then – the earliest post here is from Dec 2020. I’m in the UK, btw.

1 Like

I installed multiple Stick Up Cam 3rd Gen cameras running on Battery with Solar charging about 6 weeks ago. ALL were configured with motion zones covering the entire viewable area. Then on Sunday 8/15/21 when I went to change one of the motions zones on one camera I noticed RING had REMOVED THIS ABILITY that I had been using FOR 6 WEEKS on ALL the cameras I had configured. If the only way to get this feature back is to convert these cameras to wired with full time electric power then RING can send me FREE OF CHARGE =5= of their $40 power supplies. I’ll be damned if I am going to give Ring $200 to get this feature back after spending a LOT of $$$$ on all the Ring hardware I purchased.

2 Likes

A fortnight ago I bought a Ring Spotlight Cam to cover the back of my house. I had no issues at all when setting up the motion zones which covered all of my garden. It worked great. Unfortunately I had to send it back due to the battery compartment door which became defective. A replacement was sent, and within 24 hours a new one arrived. Only this one cuts off nearly half my garden when setting up a motion zone! On the ‘live view’ the whole of my garden shows, but on the motion zone window approx 20ft of my garden is not showing. Phoned Ring CS and after approx 1 hour on the phone I was told it is designed this way, the motion zone only covers so far, as what’s said in the above post from Chelsea. This did NOT happen on the exact same camera I’ve just sent back, which is only about 2 weeks old. Now whether the previous camera hadn’t updated to the latest firmware I’ll never know but I am not impressed at all. I definitely saw the replacement camera installing an update. The camera is only doing half the job I bought it for, it is NOT covering all of my property. I’m assuming this is some ploy to get people to buy more cameras, to cover areas the intended camera no longer reaches on motion zones. Totally unimpressed by this, as I’m not getting what I bought it for. Not so sure I’d ever buy another Ring camera after this. Feel like I’m getting ripped off, especially as I pay for a plan on top of the actual purchase.

2 Likes

Given that this relatively recent change only seems to affect battery cams (my indoor cams are still fine), I’m not sure why it was made. If it’s battery life, let the users decide if it’s for them – don’t remove it and reduce the functionality of the cameras for some opaque reason. It seems like bait and switch to me – removing features after the user has set up a camera when they were present.

1 Like

It’s now September 2022 and I’m experiencing the exact same issue as others here: When I first installed my battery stick up cam (for use in conjunction with wired Ring cams) I was able to create custom motion zones in the camera’s entire field of view. But in the process of fine-tuning the installation and settings this capability went away! The cam’s field of view is a 1.77:1 image (like a 16 x 9 TV) but when I attempt to “Edit Zones” I see only a cropped-off top image that has an approximate 2.40:1 aspect ratio (like a “Cinemascope” or “wide screen” movie). What the heck is going on, Ring? This seems like a bug, though I realize that Ring Support documentation now describes this issue as part of the function of a Battery Stick Up cam.

1 Like

I have this exact same issue, though like many others (see posts at Stick Up Battery Camera - Setting a Motion Zone - Screen Cut Off - #30 by VDub_Ring) when I originally installed my battery stick up cam a couple of days ago I COULD create custom zones within the camera’s full range of view. But after a day or two I started seeing only the cropped (approximately one-third of the image cropped off the top) view when attempting to edit zones!

1 Like

I’ve had my ring stick up cam for about a year now. I just replaced the battery and noticed the same issue everyone is having. Right before I switched the battery, I was able to zone my whole front yard. Now I can’t even get my driveway in the zone. Please Ring help us with this issue.

Not sure if this is same as everyone else’s issue but…

I have several of the exact cam. This is only one that does this. Attached are photos.

In “FRONT YARD” photo, motion zone shows entire view and I can place a zone way up by the road.

In BACK YARD, the view is entire back yard (just like my front yard). However when I go to edit my motion zones, as you can see in BACK YARD 2, the view is different. It’s much smaller and I can’t place a zone in the view I see in BACK YARD pic.

Why? And Ring will 9nly allow one pic at a time so I will have two more replies for other pics. :disappointed:

I’m sorry, it used to. When I purchased these cameras in 2020, I was able to fit the zone to match the live camera. The software changed, and it can be changed back but it seems like ring has no desire to do so.

Hello, this happen in Android and iOS the top part of the camera is not visible in the app and is not possible expand the motion selector to that are. Could anyone in Ring tell me if it’s a bug and when will be fixed?

It’s the selector

Is not a phone issue happen with all of them, I try with my Pixel 6, with my iPhone 13 and with a iPad Pro, all of them has the same problem, the top part is not accessible. If you have a camera and ring app try it because you will have the same problem. The camera is Stick Up 3rd gen. But is the same with my doorbell, it’s an app problem but I can’t believe that it’s not detected for the Ring QA team….