Spotlight Cam Ring Network iOS Incompatibility

I have “wee teaser” for the Ring Community…

I have been successfully using Ring Devices of various types for several years without any problems.

After recently switching my broadband/wireless service & getting a new wireless router/modem, I successfully re-connected all but one of my four Ring devices—including one of two spotlight cams. My other spotlight cam, however, refuses to communicate with the Ring app installed on either of my iPhone or iPad devices. I have run through all the advice & tips I could get from Ring Advanced Tech Support (two very long sessions on the phone), and any tips I could find from the Ring website or in this community.

I have updated iOS on both devices, deleted and reinstalled the Ring App, turned off Cellular (and/or Cellular Assist”), turned off Bluetooth, repeatedly used “Forget Network” then reinstated/logged back into my wireless network again—though I am told that this is not a wireless issue, but relates to the temporary “Ring Network” that’s set up by that specific device. The first few days I went through this setup rigmarole, the name of that temporary Ring network appeared on my iphone network list (just kept saying “unable to join network …”), but now it doesn’t appear at all.

Oh, and yes, the device has power (it speaks to announce when it’s in setup mode), I have re-set it (holding button down for >20 seconds), and setup mode is active (light is blinking slowly) every time I try to do this.

After the last call with Advanced Support (more than an hour), I was advised to try using an Android or other non-iOS mobile device. So I attempted using my Amazon Kindle Fire, but installing the Ring app on that device turned out to be impossible (yes, I know all about Google Play & all the other Google apps & steps that others claim to offer salvation, but it simply wasn’t possible on my Kindle).

Do I have to toss my Ring device? Will Ring accept that there’s an incompatibility issue here that renders their product unusable (it’s a little less than a year old, but I doubt Costco will take it back now)? I believe it cost around $200, and we also paid for Ring’s premium support, and while they’ve tried to help, they haven’t succeeded thus far.

Any ideas how I should proceed would be most gratefully received—and thanking you in advance.

Hi @Ringaroses. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and explain what steps you’ve tried so far in order to get your Spotlight Cam up and running. I reached out to my team with this feedback and the best course of action here would be to reach back out to our support team regarding a possible replacement under the device’s warranty. Let them know you’ve called before and that your Spotlight Cam isn’t completing its setup despite all of the steps you’ve tried. They should also be able to see your previous calls. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile: