Spotlight cam randomly disconnects

Our front door “doorbell” cam has not disconnected a single time, and it’s about 3X farther from the wifi source. Our backyard “spotlight” cam randomly goes offline about once every 3 weeks and stays that way until we reset our router. This is seriously getting annoying. Also, we are paying for monitored services, why aren’t they letting us know when the camera goes offline? Some “monitoring”.

1 Like

Hi @indigowulf! With a router power cycle seemingly resolving this concern each time, there might be something interfering with your wifi signal. It sounds like distance is not an issue there which is a great start. I recommend checking out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing signal strength. There could be interferences on the way to that particular Cam such as appliances, large electronics, or even metal/ brick exterior walls.

Keep in mind, professional monitoring applies to the Alarm system only. As we respect the privacy and security of our neighbors, your Cams and Doorbells are only monitored by yourself. Feel free to also check in with our support team for a more in-depth look as to why this might be happening.

Indigowulf - I know! So frustrating, right? My hardwired Ring 2 doorbell is outside. It’s at least twice as far from the router as the wired (not battery) spotlight cam, and it has never failed, not one time - ever! Both are outside. I have a lot of wifi devices on my system, but everything works great except the spotlight cam. When it works, it works great, but I can’t be resetting it at a distance if it goes down when I am not home. I hope there is a better response than “signal strength” when every other device works great. I’ve even bought a signal booster to see if it helps, and it does not. The spotlight cam still goes offline numerous times every day!

1 Like

I have another wired cam in the front of my house and it has never gone offline. But m y other. Wired cam constantly goes offline. I. Think it is defective.

1 Like

Same with my other wired cam. My other outside wired cam works great. I think it is defective

Hi @Pg1, happy to chime in here. Were you able to look over the Community Post that Marley shared in his previous post? That’s a great starting point to help diagnose any connectivity concerns, as the RSSI is a key indicator in your Ring’s signal strength. If you’ve looked that over and your Camera is still disconnecting, I’d recommend reaching out to our support team directly so they can take a closer look. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

I am having this exact problem. All 4 of the spotilight cams are disconnecting every couple of days. 3 of these are closer to the router than the doorbell ring cam. Yet, the doorbell always stays live. What is going on with this? It is getting really frustrating. It is not the distance from the wifi or obstacles. This never used to happen. It has been happening the past few months only. We have to re-boot the router to get all the spotlight cams back online. Help!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.