Spotlight Cam: cats trigger motion alerts

I regularly get four alerts from cats between 1am and 5 am every night (the same cats walking back and forth). As a result I have notifications turned off during that timeframe. That defeats the purpose of a security camera. Is the software team working on a way of differentiating between a cat, squirrel, possum, etc from triggering alerts and only picking up human/large animal activity. I was considering putting another camera up at the back of my house, but no way if it can’t differentiate motion between small animals and humans. One solution might be to have a user-defined size box such that if the activity doesn’t fill the box entirely, then don’t trigger a notification (to be used as a size check, with some math scaling for distance - not that the object has to pass through it) or a user defined minimum height off the ground (eg. any activity below 2 feet disregard). I’m sure your engineers can come up with something. An example pic follows:

3 Likes

Hey @Mike_V, did you manage to fix this?

2.5 years later, this is still an issue for me. I get ‘Person’ alerts at night (only) when any cat (or fox) walks past my Wired Pro 2 Doorbell. My other 3 cams (all stick up battery operated) don’t have this problem. Only the wired Pro 2.

I called Ring twice. They say they are unaware of the issue. First rep advised buying Wedge Kit (£20 in the UK), which would point cam down as our door is at the top of stairs. I tried this but made no difference. Figures as the cat alerts are always at the top of the stairs, right outside the door, never at the bottom.

So basically the camera notifications are unusable. Night is when you want the notifications to wake you up if there is an intruder. Not 3 times a night for cats!

I’ve tried all obvious settings - sensitivity, turning 3d off, adjusting the motion zones, etc.

@ring - you need to fix this. It is unacceptable that a company owned by Amazon cannot fix this, especially for its flagship video doorbell.

Other related thread here also unanswered (and closed without solution) after 2.5 years - Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only - #128 by Mannyshere14

1 Like