Solar Step Light Turn On manually and stay on

Hello, I just purchased the 2-pack solar step light with bridge to try. I want to use them a deck perimeter lights and will need 10 more. BUT…how do I get the light to stay on longer than the duration setting when I use the toggle switch in the app? I turn the lights on and they shut off 30 seconds later. Or if I set auto off duration to 1 minute it’s a minute. But the auto off feature is supposed to be when motion is detected. I have that off. Is there a way to turn the lights on and have them stay on? At least until it senses daylight?

Hey @dantiz. You can definitely achieve this with a schedule! If you take a look at our Ring Help Center Article here, it will help you learn how to create a schedule to keep your lights on during certain times. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Chelsea,

Yes, I did realize you can have the light saty on with a schedule. But what if I want to put them on outside of my set schedule? I cannot have them remain on for longer than 15 minutes.

In addition, when I do set a schedule, if I try and increase or decrease the brightness while the schedule is running, I cannot. It defaults to the brightness of the schedule. Another “bug” which needs fixing. I really like the lights, but lack of basic flexibility of turning them on and off when I want is a major negative and may be the deciding factor of keeping them. Can you elevate this please?

@dantiz Thank you for your feedback on this! I really do appreciate it and rest assured I have passed this onto the appropriate teams for you. We do not have the feature at this time to have the lights remain on outside of the auto-shut off time frame. We do not enable this feature at this time in order to refrain from neighbors accidentally turning on the lights and draining the battery from forgetting to turn it off. With the lights on the schedule, you should be able to make them brighter while the schedule is on-going, but it will revert back to whatever brightness it as at before, so please ensure you are changing brightness (when wanting to do so permanently) outside of a scheduled time.

My team said they will make sure to take in your suggestions into consideration for future! I recommend to make sure to keep you app up to date so you get the latest of any new features we implement, which we will showcase in the New Features part of the Ring app. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Chelsea,

Thank you for your thorough reply. I have a need for about 15 lights, which is a significant $ investment, so you can see convern if I cannot operate them as desired. Is there a timeline where the App may be uodated for more flexibility? I understand the need to save battery life. But even not being able to change the brightness ( and the light remain at that brightness) during as chedule is very limiting. For example, I have the family onthe deck and would like to have the lights brighter, I can only do so for a set duration until they go back to minimum. I would like to have them remain at the new setting for the remainder of the schedule…Thanks for looking into this…

Dan

1 Like

@dantiz That is totally understandable and I can see your need for wanting this! I’m unable to get an ETA at this time, as my team has to pass the suggestion up the food chain, work it out, and test from there before we can implement it. All new features that we bring to our apps and changes in the features will be listed in the New Features section of your app, so I recommend to check these (but you will see a red indicator if you have an new feature in there). If I do get a good, even vague or rough ETA, I will make sure to update you here accordingly. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Chelsea, are there any updates on this feature release? I share the same frustration as @dantiz. Amazing product, high quality, but this particular feature restriction is making me regret my purchase.

1 Like

I bought eight solar powered path lights to find out that full bright setting doesn’t Stay longer than 10 minutes. I appreciate the concern of draining the battery but let the customers Chose for themselves. Please add this feature to the app.

1 Like

Hey Neighbors! Chiming in for Chelsea here. Thank you for following up on this! At this time, there are no new updates on this feature. Rest assured, the moment we hear any new information, it will be posted in our News and Announcements board! Also, be sure to check out our Feature Request Board where you can upvote ideas to improve your Ring experience. Upvoting ideas will allow us to show the appropriate teams what our neighbors would like to see!

1 Like

I concur. This is very frustrating.

I understand a lower brightness for the dusk to dawn schedule, but I just need the lights on for a few hours a night, and the auto brightness setting is basically invisible in suburban los angeles, with all of our light pollution.

Need to decide if returning and watiting to repurchase when/if this feature is released is a better option.

3 Likes

Hi,
It would Definitely be a GREAT feature to be able to let the lights stayed on for as long as you wish. Please make it happen!

1 Like

I bought 16 solar steplights for backyard fence lighting. I wanted the same features you all Wanted until I actually used them for a few weeks. The biggest problem is the solar charging feature only provides 2-4 percent of charge per day. I contacted support about this and they confirmed this is normal as it’s only intended to provide a small amount of trickle charge. Based on this it’s very likely that if you have more control of the brightness and how long they stay on eventually they will run out of charge. I’ve already had the issue running a light schedule for 3-4 hours a night. Within 4 days I was having to unmount the device and charge using a usb cable. This may be ok for a few lights but when you have 16 of them it’s not sustainable.

Can anyone else confirm the limited charging via solar?

Hi,

I have 12 solar steps on my deck for accent lighting. This summer they all maintained a good battery % but now that the days are getting shorter, I see that I may need to charge some (less light) with the USB cable. I only have mine on from sunset to 12 AM, not overnight. May need to adjust the schedule to turn off earlier.

I too just purchased 21 solar lights, spent a pretty penny on them (plus 5 wired dual spotlight cams) and I would have NEVER thought that you cannot control them manually as you please… This thread has been open since last year and Ring still has not implemented this…??? I’m really disappointed and getting ready to return them all… I would like to simply be able to turn them on and off when I need them, same
Thing happens with the wired spotlights, this is insane… I’m really upset about this…

Hi @RubioA. Have you tried using the Lights Tile in your Ring app? The Lights Tile should allow you to manually turn off/on your Smart Lights. This Help Center article here has more information about this feature. Let me know if this helps!

1 Like

Hi Tom,

Ok, same as others have posted above, there is no “Manual” way to activate the lights… I have 21 lights as noted and and I would hope that you don’t expect me to go into 21 individual lights to turn them on and off… So I go into the group I have created and the options on top right, which one would assume are the “manual” settings, when activated only turn the lights on for the duration of the motion settings, 1 minute in my case, so its not “manual”. According to the instructions in the link you posted above, that “manual” option overrides ALL settings on any part of the app, and I quote “1. Manual On/Off: This control overrules any other setting or controls that are set with the Ring app. Regardless of time of day or scheduled settings — this control will always turn on or off your lights.”

I want to be able to turn my lights on and off when I want, manually, as noted on the link you posted…

As you can see this thread has been going now for over a year and no fixes/solutions have been released, plus I have invested not only on 21 lights but many other Ring devices in excess of $2000, so I’m really upset I cannot control these lights properly.

Now, in the mean time, I thought while this is fixed, I’ll just create a schedule that I can just enable or disable when needed to turn these lights on and off… Easier said then done, I noticed that the schedule feature does not work properly either, I create a schedule and what happens instead of creating a schedule with devices listed under it, what it ends up doing is creating 21 separate schedules, in other words one schedule per device… Would be fine if I can just again manually turn off the “main” schedule… If I have 2 or 3 devices it would not matter, but I’m not going to turn off one device at a time and even if I did it literally takes about 8 seconds for each device to interact with the bridge and finally turn off, very inconvenient and not very nice when you have guests over and you are left in the dark…

Very frustrated and considering returning ALL your equipment… This is crazy its like going to a furniture store to buy a lamp and can only turn it on for X amount of minutes…

BTW, yes I did go to the Lights Tile on the App, I have tried any and all possible combinations to no avail…

Appreciate your help, thanks…

Are you guys actually Ring Employees or just customers that assist others when possible? If so, how do I take this up to Ring, I’m really concerned about this given the large investment I have here…

Thanks For your help, greatly appreciate it…

Hey @RubioA. Sorry to hear that this is not working for you. I suggest following up with our support team so they can deep dive into this issue and create a solution for you. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. And yes, we are real people and employees of Ring. We are here to help facilitate a positive environment for all of our neighbors. Feel free to come back to this post and let the Community know what our level 2 support was able to find out about this.

1 Like

Hi Tom,

I’m extremely upset at Ring, I called support last night and after a long time on the phone I was transferred to an “engineer”, David was his name, he told me to give him 2-3 minutes to look into it, put me on hold and after 20 minutes hung up on me. No call back, no e-mail, and what is really odd no confirmation e-mail after call to support… I have tried everything to get these lights to turn on and off when I want and they do not. Scheduling is not working properly either… Tomorrow I’m returning the 21 lights I purchased and telling all the neighbors that I was encouraging to purchase these lights, to not do so under any circumstance…

Tom, please take this to management, maybe they will think about being a little more responsive to customers…

Thanks for your help and your responses though…

Hi @RubioA. This isn’t the experience that I hoped you would have. I’m not sure what happened, but this does not sound like the standard procedure for a call. I would advise to follow up with your open support ticket and ask to speak to a Neighbor Solution Expert Team Supervisor. Once verified, they’ll be able to look at your account notes and follow up with this escalation. I would also check your junk/spam folders for an email, as sometimes it gets filtered out. Nonetheless, I can pass this feedback along to the appropriate team. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like