Solar status

I have a spotlight cam and 2 stick up cam batt.
All of the units are attached to ring solar panel which is place side by side in a sunny location.

However, i have notice on the app that only the spotlight cam is showing solar status option (it is showing establish)

As for the stick up cam batt, it is does not have that option and power source is showing me electrical socket??? I am running on solar panel and battery. How does this tell me the solar panel is working and charging the battery? Or is the system assuming I am running on a electrical socket in the day and battery at night. Which mean no changing is occurring.

NOTE: I am currently on battery mode (not wired mode) for the stick up cam.

I have attached my device health on the stick up cam and spotlight cam for your review. Spotlight cam solar is working well.

2 Likes

Hi @darryl-andrea. If both Cameras are connected to a Solar Panel, they both should be showing as established in the Ring App. When you go into your Ring app > Main Menu > Devices > Device connected to solar panel > Device Health, does it show that there is a Solar Panel connected? If your app is not showing the solar panel as connected under your Device Health page, you will want to ensure the device is connected properly. I recommend detaching the solar panel from your Camera and then attaching it back, while also ensuring that there is no dust and debris on the solar panels and at the connection.

After checking the connection, if you find that it is still not showing as connected in the Device Health section, please try resetting your Camera (not the solar panel) by pressing and holding the setup button for 20 seconds. After this reset, re-establish the connection your device has in your Ring app by tapping on Reconnect or Change Wifi Network under Device Health. This will take you through another setup of the Ring device in the Ring app. Once completed, check the Device Health again to see if the solar panel is showing as connected. If the device is showing as connected, please ensure the solar panel is getting at least 4-6 hours of direct sunlight per day to allow a trickle charge to your device.

In the event you may not see the solar panel connected still, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Caitlyn, thank for the reply. Thought I would up date and help the ring community.

I have tried the solution provided and it still does not work.

Solar and battery are definitely work as I tried it with my spot light cam and it work.

I have did a further research it seem like the solar status on the app only appear for stick up cam gen 1 and 2. I am using the stick up cam 3 (stick up cam batt). I am cuurently talking to support team and awaiting a call back (24-48 hours). Probably anytime soon. Hopefully it get solve soon.

My guess is that the app or the camera issues. If it is the app, it may not have the solar section set up for stick up cam 3 gen. If it is the camera, it may be detecting the solar panel as ac source as power is going through the same port (when a wired model is used). Thus showing my power source as electrical socket during the day and battery at night. The only issue I have with that is the battery does not get charged in the day when there is full sun from 6:30am till 4pm.

I will update community once I hear back from the support team and engineer.

1 Like

Exact same problem and have followed the diagnotics mentioned above.

Mine is Stick Up cam Battery Gen 2 x 2, both will not recognise Solar and Customer service fo Australia not answering 1300 number.

1300205983 worked for me. They do pick up. No waiting for their call back.? soon

1 Like

I just setup a new Stickup cam and solar panel. I can see that the battery level has increased from 56% to 60% after 6 hrs in the sun. However, the Solar Status under device health - “Extend Battery Life with a Ring Solar Panel.” This issue is well documented in the community forum if you search “solar Panel status”. Also noted that some have reported that the solar status is not status but it’s adverticing. It also interesting to note in this topic that Ring app correctly shows solar panel status on the Spotlight Cam. If that is the case it should report the right status for the Stickup cam. I wish the moderator would really get this fixed. Providing a status response to re-run the setup is not helpful especially if you have the stickup cam mounted on a wall.

1 Like

Hi yiwinkie

I had same issue with the spot light solar initally showing solar panel not connecting. My solution to that was the following

1. always install during the day. I did my installation when it was sun set not good time.
  2. let the solar panel “charage” up like 1 hour full sun Then plug out the connection and replug in. It should show established. Note: all thing has to happen within the Day light.

I heard some people say give it time to establish. But mine was instant.

Now the issue I have for my stick up cam batt is that it does not show me solar staus which is causing the problem. Still awaiting for ring team to get back.

1 Like

Would uninstalling App and reinstall work?? Do not want to do it unless I have to .

has anyone who contacted support been able to resolve this issue???

still pending

Hi All, back to update the issue.

It seems like for the stick up cam batt, when it show electrical socket as source in the day (solar plug in)= it will charges the battery.

Nonetheless, I notice the solar panel does not charged the battery as fast as the security cam does. The charge is very minimal. Not sure if it is a software issue or not.

You might have to play with the device setting to see if it is charging. I recommend starting at low setting in which you should see an increase in the battery life.

Hope this help those out there.

PS still hope ring make the interface similar to the other cam such that if solar panel is used, it indicate that.

I have several spot light battery/solar and a stick up battery/solar and haveing the same issues. The battery spot light cam shows solar connection and charges the battery quickly in the day time. The stick up cam shows plugged in and charges very very slow. it does not show solar panels. Both solar panels are on the same side of the house at the same angle.

1 Like

Hi

I have the same issue. It does charge slowly in the stick up cam than security cam. Not sure why even if they are both on the same side and same angle. That is a question we need ring to answer?
But it does charges just really slowly.

I am guessing software issue or the energy conversion rate is different.

Does anyone fix thi issue ever???

I have several time to reinstall and try it.

Still NOT shown the Solar status as Spot light cam.

Many times I take it out the cam and reinstalled to App.

Attached pic to easy understadnd.

It shown the battery level is charged wired.

PLEASE fix the issue for every frastlated user by RING.

PLEASE

Hey neighbors. If the steps suggest by Caitlyn did not seem to provide a solution, I would suggest reaching out to our support team. The information to contact them can be found in her post. :smiley: