Smart switch control of (wired) Ring floodlight cam

Hey, Ring Community…

This has been asked a number of times before in this forum, but I wanted to bring it up again since there has never been a good answer.

Is there ANY way to link a “smart switch” to the Ring Floodlight Cam lights? I had a hard wired switch for the old light previously, but bypassed it knowing that this device requires continuous power.

A smart switch link would allow the light to continue any schedule and normal operation, while providing a manual override.

Use case:
I have a Ring floodlight cam mounted in my back yard. Currently I have it on a dusk to dawn schedule with the rest of my Ring outdoor lights. I want to manually turn the floodlights on when I let my dogs outside in the evening (or if I’m just outside enjoying the evening). I want to be able to then shut it off (except for motion) so as not to disturb my neighbors.

Yes, I realize I could just set them for motion only, but occasionally there is nuisance motion from trees that triggers it. Better yet would be triggering them ONLY if a person is detected.

Alternatively, a way to adjust brightness based on motion.

Thoughts? I’ve found ways to do the reverse (Ring triggering my Lutron Caseta interior lights on motion or alarm) but not what I describe.

Ideally a remote from my existing Lutron Caseta system could turn them on and off manually. Lutron Caseta already “works with Ring” but so far I can’t find ANY way to do what I describe.

1 Like

Yes and no… so no you can not use an everyday switch or smart switch to control it. But you can use a Broadlink smart button and set up a routine in Alexa to do the job I have used this on smart sockets in my basement and it works well. I also just installed 2 ring wired flood light cameras I will be setting up this way

Here’s the link to the button

BroadLink Wireless Smart Button with Hub, Remote Control Switch for Smart Home Devices and Scene Control, 3-Way Lights Control with Smart Light Switch,S3 Hub Included https://a.co/d/219QIeN

1 Like

I would like to know how to do this as well.

I would really love to be able to use the switch as a manual override for just the light that turns on and stays on (no motion or timer) and turns off (but just the light) without it ever disrupting the camera. I don’t like the idea of it rebooting my camera doing it the way ring suggests.

I’ve tried setting up a smart switch but when I try to create a smart routine to tell ring floodlight cam to turn on just the flood light, there isn’t an isolated action or skill that does that. If Ring could program a routine or skill just for the floodlight and add it to the alexa list of skills, that would be great!

2022-10-06T05:00:00Z

`*[quote=“Riley_Ring, post:1, topic:878, full:true”]
Yes! This is because there are two different sensors in your Ring Security Cam’s. See below for an in depth look between the Lights and Camera sensors.

• Lights - are triggered by a passive infrared sensor (PIR) that covers a larger area in front of your device than the cameras advanced motion detection. You can adjust this sensors sensitivity in the devices “Light Settings” section of the Ring app.
  • Camera - is triggered by advanced motion detection, when something enters the zones you created. You will create these motion zones and adjust their sensitivity in the devices “Motion Settings” section of the Ring app.

Keep in mind, it is possible for your lights to be triggered by movement in an area that is covered by your the PIR sensor, however, the movement might be too far or does not enter the advanced motion zones you created. This will result in your lights turning on, but you will only receive a motion notification from the Ring app if your camera is triggered and begins filming a live event.
[/quote]

*`