Severe limitations with Schlage locks

I connected my new Schlage lock to my Ring alarm and discovered several shortcomings in the integration.

1. No way to configure auto-lock time,
  2. PIN length is limited to the weak 4 digits of the Ring Alarm (should be at least 6 or 8)
  3. No way to enable/disable lock tamper alarm.
  4. No way to change the lock master code
  5. Cannot configure any of the other advanced features I could use in the Schlage app.
  6. Alexa does not see the lock through Ring
  7. The Schlage app does not see the lock through Ring.
  8. Once the lock has been added there seems to be no easy way to re-configure it in the Ring app or the web site.

Due to the security implications of these limitations I am considering moving to a different alarm system which will support the native functionality of imported devices.
These limitations have been brought up multiple times over the last several years but I think Amazon/Ring do not care about these things and only care about the data they collect from the systems deployed.

If there is no ETA in the next 7 days I will remove my Ring account and get something else.

I am seriousely

2 Likes

Hi @mkostersitz. You can read more about what features are available when integrating Works With Ring door locks with your Ring Alarm system here. While you will not have all of the functionality that you would have when using the device with its native app, you still have access to a number of features as listed in the Help Center Article.

As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add these suggestions and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the response. The document you linked does not tell me anything about the limitations enforced by Ring on the native capabilities of the lock.

For example this paragraph:

What are the benefits of integrating my smart locks with the Ring Alarm system?
Integrating your smart locks with Ring Alarm expands your Ring of Security around the entrances to your home. Once integrated, you can do the following:

• Lock and unlock your door through your app, with a key, or by using PIN codes you can share with friends and family members.
  • In the future, you will be able to arm your Ring Alarm by simply locking the door as you leave or disarm the Alarm by unlocking the door when you get home.

It just talks about PIN codes, but does not state 4 digit PINs only and not the lock native PIN codes.
It also talks about the future arming feature which is already delivered and working if I use the PIN to lock the door.
Means the document is inaccurate and out of date.

And that is only one example.

I have added my requests to the Features board again.
Provide access to the native functionality of connected devices - Products / Feature Request Board - Ring Community
But have no high hopes the issues will be addressed in a timely manner.

2 Likes

I have the same issues. I’m an Airbnb owner with 4 Schlage BE469 locks on a house and need to give my guests access to 2 of them.

The experience is buggy - one of the locks won’t connect, and one is constantly dropping offline. When they work , I can’t give them access to locks without connecting the entire alarm system, which is not what I want to do. I only want to give them access to the locks. The codes are only 4 digits long which is not safe. There is no scheduling or timing modes available. Basically at this point I’m obligated to manually recode locks between guests which does not fit my use case / business model. I need to be able to do this remotely.

If I had known that the user experience with Schlage locks was so bad I don’t think I would have switched to ring.