Setting up Ring Doorbell already registered to me

When I launch the Ring App the only option I have is to set up a new device.

I do that, go through the motions and it ends up with “This device is still registered to its owner.”

I AM THE OWNER. I log in with the owner email and password. I am stuck in a loop. I can’t get the doorbell to display video. If I push the doorbell, it rings, but there is no video in the app. Just “Set Up A New device”.

What now? Besides using the 8 LB Hammer?

2 Likes

Hey @Jibsman. When you go into the Main Menu > select on your location above Dashboard, is there more than one location? If there is another location, even if it looks like a duplicate one with the same name, go ahead and click on the other one. Then, pull up the main menu again and go to the Device list and see if your device(s) is/are there! If you still do not see this, or don’t have another location, please reach out to our support team here! They can ensure you get back into your account and escalate this up for you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m experiencing this same problem. Please advise

2 Likes

Yes I tried changing the location as previously suggested. I also tried transferring the device to possibly restart the setup process but it did not allow me. I also deleted and redownloaded the Ring app

1 Like

Hi @user11809. When you tapped on the location name in the top center of the Ring app, did you see a drop-down list appear with other locations? If so, did you tap on those locations and see any devices listed? You can check this by tapping the menu in the top left of the Ring app and tapping Devices. Make sure to do this on any duplicate locations you see listed in the drop-down.

When you mentioned you tried to transfer the device, what steps did you follow for this? Were you trying to complete a new setup of the Doorbell on the location that has no devices listed? Feel free to share any screenshots or a short screen recording demonstrating what you’re seeing on your end.

1 Like

Same here! I am getting the exact same message, having the exact same issue. I verified that there are no other locations, I am definitely signed in the correct account with correct email the device is registered to and I am the primary owner. I have deleted and redownloaded the app and still receive the same error. I also downloaded the app on my Apple iPhone as well and had the exact same issue on a totally different device as well as completely different operating system, as my main device that I was originally using to set my doorbell back up is an Android device. When I did a search for the error message & issue on Google, there were loads of results from all kinds of different support forums and other similar sites with tons of people seeking help to resolve this issue and asking for a reply with advice from anyone who has had this issue and was able to get it resolved… but out of all those inquiries and the many many people asking for help, so far I haven’t seen anyone reply with an answer. Everyone is looking for answers or a resolution but no one is getting them. I’d like to think a quick call to Ring support would do the trick but after the ridiculous beyond terrible experience I had with them earlier today before I ran into this issue, I just very much doubt that. So yeah… but if anyone here does end up finding some kind of resolution for this, please do post an update to let us know what you did to fix it and then of course if I happen to find anything out myself I will do the same.

1 Like

Hi @Keenanicole. If you have checked and ensured there are no duplicate locations in your Ring app and that you are on the same Ring account that the device was originally set up on, then you shouldn’t be receiving this message. If you still are, then you’ll need to reach out to our support team to take a further look.

Since the Ring Community is a public forum, we’re able to help with general troubleshooting tips and tricks, but anything involving your account details will need to be handled with our support team. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

I change phones and now On my new it’s says device register to someone else need help.?

Hi @Monoperez504. Be sure that you are logging in with the same email and password you used on you old phone. If not, you’ll need to contact our support team.

1 Like

I have the same issue besides that I’m not the owner and I don’t know how to see my doorbell my parents can see it but I can’t I’m not the owner but they have tried to re-invite me but it still didn’t work I got a new phone so that’s why I had to do it again but it’s not working.

Hi @Bella00. Have the owners of the Ring device follow the Shared User process as shown in this Help Center article here and accept the invitation. If you have them follow the steps and you still can not accept the Shared User invite, give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.