Setting Room Location for Retrofit Kit and Connected Sensors has bugsr

I worked on this for hours. You cannot name the individual zones. Every zone is named the same location as the Retrofit fit. It’s frustrating to say the least and hope it gets fixed

1 Like

Hey neighbors! Thank you for continuing to provide feedback about this concern that you see when managing the room location for your retrofit kit. At this time, whenever you change the name for a room on your Retrofit Kit’s system, it will update the name of the room for all zones to be the same. We are always looking for ways to improve the way you look at your devices in the app, so please know that we have passed on this feedback to the appropriate teams. We appreciate this suggestion and are working on enabling this in the future.

In the meantime, we recommend creating a feature request for this feature so that we can capture an idea of other neighbor’s interest in this added feature for more customization to your system. Feel free to add this request to our Feature Request board, as this will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here to help with prioritization, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature!

I just installed my Retrofit Kit yesterday and as excited as I was to get it running, I was very disappointed in the product knowing that it basically makes the entire “Room Assignment” feature completely unuseable. I have to mark all my zones (and the Retrofit Kit) as “Room Unassigned”. It’s such a simple feature to fix as well but seeing as how it’s been open for nearly a year and a half, I wonder if it will ever be fixed. It’s very disappointing as it makes the whole product feel rather lower-end when the Ring Engineering team can’t even fix such a simple bug like this.

I just got a new Ring system with the Retrofit kit and was running into this issue. Pretty annoying and no resolution for over a year? Gotta be kidding me and why do they keep repeating the same response to open a feature request? This is obviously a bug not a missing feature. This kept annoying the hell out of me trying to setup the zones. It’s annoying if the push notifications on the phone say the same room for all zones.

For now I assigned the right rooms to each of the zones and the Retrofit Kit for now is in the wrong room. Better this way, then all the zones being in the wrong room. At the moment I can’t even change rooms on the website. It’s saying that an error occurred when loading the device information. I can only edit the rooms in the app, so the suggestion they made is the same BS.

For crying out loud, fix it already!

I’ve got a similar yet different problem. I can assign each room the correct name but then when I go back (or get a notification), the assigned zones have been switched around to different room names. (Kitchen door now says Laundry room, etc).

Please help Ring!

I installed 2 Retrofit Kits and 15 wired sensors. Same problem with an added symptom: A change to a room changes the room for all sensors in that Retrofit Kit (a.k.a. the sensor’s Identifier). It’s been escalated to Development (?). I tried to use the website but when I go to the sensor and click on the gear icon, I get “There was a problem loading device information” and a circle of rotating dots.

update 8/11/21-ring.com website was working and I determined additional details on the problem. I also developed a workaround for my 15 sensors and 2 Retrofit Kits.

• Each time a sensor’s room is saved, that room is set on that sensor’s Retrofit Kit
  • When you SAVE a Retrofit Kit’s room, that room is propagated to all the sensors connected to that Retrofit Kit

Hence, my workaround was to

1. set the rooms for all my contact, motion and glass break sensors
  2. I DID NOT explicitly set the room for my 2 Retrofit Kits which are in the BASEMENT
  3. Since I have sensors in the BASEMENT, I set those LAST thereby also setting their Retrofit Kits’ rooms to BASEMENT
2 Likes

@ths Aha! Thanks for that! I don’t have a sensor in the room with my retrofit kit, so I hardwired one closed, labeled it “unused” and set it last. :rofl:

1 Like

April 2022 and I can’t label my zones for the rooms they are in on my retro? Is this true?

As of 7-15-22 the issue still happens.

All Devices connected to a RetroFit Kit, will have their Room locations over written to what the RetroFit Kit’s room location is set to.

After the locations are over written, individual Devices are unable to be switched back within the iOS App. “Untested with the Android App”. The Devices are only able to be switched back from within the Web Console.

In addition to the above issues. When the last Device connected to the RetroFit Kit, has it’s Room location saved, the RetroFit Kit location changes to that room.

These issues have been clearly happening for years. There is no excuse as to why these software bugs can not be fixed. Lack of simple software support fixes like this, are the reason I can not recommend anything Ring to any Home Owner, or Business. This issue is not minor. It has the potential to cause miss information which in turn could cause occupants harm, in the event of an emergency. This is also not the only software bug issue, there have been numerous more found that have also not been addressed over the years.

Ring, get your act together. You can do better.

Still buggy. My problem is that the room gets reassigned to a different room from when the sensors were set up. I also tried reassigning and resaving the rooms, but it doesn’t stick.

Sept 2022.

Bug not fixed. Problem still exist with the app. I wish i read this post earlier rather than spending an hour with room assignments. Disappointed.

Hi all.

Feature request posted here:

Please vote at above link if interested. Thanks!

1 Like