Ring Video Doorbell (2ndGen) Internal Chime Issues

Hi there,

I recently installed a Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Generation). I have hardwired the device and it is receiving power; however, my existing internal chime does not ring when the button on the Ring doorbell is pressed.

I have confirmed that the settings on the Ring device are correct and tried various options (e.g. setting it to mechanical or digital chime. My internal chime is a Friedland D792 and I have checked that it is working by connecting the two wires together (which causes the chime to sound). The wiring looks in good condition and my bell transformer is providing 8V which is understand should be sufficient to trickle charge the Ring device and power the internal chime.

I have tried the various Chime Connection options in the Ring App but my internal chime never rings.

Can anyone suggest what the problem may be?

Thanks,

Hello @iriondevral ,

Sorry to hear that your current house chime is not working with the Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen/2020 Release).

The are two possible reasons as to why your Chime is not working with it.

1. First, the Friedland D792 is operating with the minimum power requirements of your Ring Video Doorbell, which is 8-24 VAC, 40VA max, 50/60Hz.

2. Secondly, and I really think this is the reason it isn’t working correctly, is that your current house chime is Not compatible with the Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen/2020 Release). Your house chime is more like a ringing-buzzer (rings while you hold the push button), where as your Ring Video Doorbell is designed for house chimes where you just push/tap (not hold) the doorbell button. Your Ring Doorbell can work with both Mechanical chimes that typically make the “Ding-Dong” sound, or with Digital house chimes that play a melody. Below is the website link for house chimes that Ring have tested and confirmed (as either compatible or not compatible). Your Friedland D792 is not on any of these lists, and most likely it is NOT compatible with your new Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen/2020 Release).

So, since your Friedland is not the typical “Ding-Dong” type of house chime, I believe you’ll probably need to replace the Friedland with a compatible house chime to achieve your desired results.

I hope you find this helpful :wink:

1 Like

Hello this question is for the OP.
How could you tell when you hard wired the doorbell that it was receiving power? I tried to hardwire mine to see if the chime would work. The chime didn’t work but I also couldn’t really tell if it was recieving any power.
Thanks!