Ring Video Doorbell 2 no longer connecting to wifi

I have had a Ring Video Doorbell 2 that has been connected (weakly, usually) to my main wifi for over 8 months. After my most recent time of charging it, it will no longer connect to my internet OR the new wifi extender network I have. I am 1000% sure of the password I am typing in. Here’s what happens:

It starts fine.

The white circle spins.

I click the button my my phone to say it is spinning.

I go to my wifi and change over to the Ring network.

I go back to the app and it says the Ring device is looking for wifi networks.

It finds all of them and I choose either one.

I type in the password.

My phone now says, reconnecting your phone to the wifi. This never completes. I have to manually do this.

The device has the blue ring that flashes from bottom to top (like it is connecting to the wifi), but then changes to a flashing white light on the left side (according to all documentation, a problem with the internet…).

After I connect my phone back to the actual wifi, it just shows the video with the device and the blue flashing like it SHOULD be doing, but isn’t. Also, the device stops flashing at all and there are no lights on it.

After about 30 seconds, a popup appears asking what the device is doing. No choice here matters at it either goes back to the previous screen for another 30 seconds before the popup returns. The white flashing light on the left option says, fix your internet. I put the device on top of the router, just to show, that isn’t it. I am hitting almost 80 Mbps on my speed test.

I performed the hard reset (held orange button down for 25 seconds) and tried again, this time adding it as a new device. Nothing.

Other than beating this thing with a hammer, any ideas?

Same here. Worked fine until the battery needed replaced, then not connecting. I’m also geting the white lights re password incorrect, but it is not.

Hey neighbors! @Gunny_Wildman Thank you for taking the time to detail out how your experience has been and what you have been to try to resolve this concern through your troubleshooting. You really went above and beyond in trying to get this connected, so thank you for that! At this time, since you have exhausted all troubleshooting, I recommend being in touch with our support team from here. @PDBR511 I recommend the same if you have followed the same steps.

For support, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to come back to this thread, neighbors, and let us know how it went and how you got this resolved! :slight_smile:

Good afternoon Chelsea,

I ended up contacting the support phone number and worked with someone for about 2 hours and after doing about 5 other steps that he was sure would work, we discovered that these devices were no longer going to work on my network. They are sending me out new devices. Happy to get new devices, would have like to have found a root cause analysis of the issue though.

1 Like

I did contact Ring support and after much resetting, etc. I was told to contact my ISP. My Ring doorbell connects to 2.4gHz but does not maintain the 2.4 connection. I contacted my ISP and spent over an hour doing various tests, including resetiing everything, modem, router, Plume. My ISP verified that the doorbell DOES find the 2.4 AND connects, but then drops off. Both the 2.4 and 5 gHz connections are excellent for all devices. They cannot help further.

1 Like

So Chelsea, where do I go from here? My ISP says the devices connect fine and they cannot see a problem on their end. Nothing is “kicking them off”, they connect and then drop. Sounds like I need new devices as well? The Ring doorbell 2 we have now is a replacement for the original which failed. :frowning:

@PDBR511 From here, I do recommend being in contact with our support team for a follow up and the best next steps from here. Since you have already been in contact with them, you can follow up with the information given from your ISP. You may need to be in touch with one of our advanced technical agents, as they can preform more in-depth troubleshooting on your device. They will be able to figure out the best next steps from here with the new information you got from your ISP. Feel free to come back and let us know how it goes! :slight_smile:

Chelsea, I called support, explained what was going on and asked for advanced support. Didn’t happen. We just went through the same tired set-up routine. Again they tried to say I had an incorrect password. I explained several times that my ISP saw the device connecting to 2.4 gHz AND the connection was strong but it drops immediately. There is nothing wrong on the ISP’s end. I think this device is bricked just like the first one I had. They decided to send a replacement. I really like how the doorbell works (when it does) but this is getting tiresome. I will let you know if the new device works. We also wanted to get a security camera but are holding off on that now.

1 Like

Ok i got a hold of tech support and I had to basically reconnect my ring with the internet and it worked

Otherwise call the [800 656. 1918](tel:800 656. 1918) for tech help

@PDBR511 Thanks for getting back to me, and please let me know if the replacement works better!

I had a similar problem with a version 1 Ring connected to a Chime Pro version 1.
Wouldn’t connect, blue ring growing from bottom to top.
Tried unplugging the Chime Pro for a while. Didn’t help.
Tried holding down the orange button down for a few seconds while in rising blue ring state.
Bingo. Now reconnects, and I have color back :slight_smile:

1 Like