Ring Stick Up Cam Battery & Solar Panel

When I have a fully charged battery in my stick up cam & plug the ring solar panel in the cam battery goes flat whithin 2 hours with the sun shing brightly. When I bought the camera I was told to plug the solar panel into the cam with a fully charged battery and that the solar panel would charge the battery after the night of working on the battery . I’m stumped why the battery shows approx 90 % charge after a night & in the morning the battery goes flat in the sun light . Any ideas would be appreciated …

Hi @Bruce-7. When in the Ring app, does the Stick Up Cam show it’s solar status as “Connected” or “Established”? You can find this information by opening the Ring app and selecting- Menu > Devices > (Ring Device) > Device Health. If it doesn’t reflect the correct status, try resetting the device by holding the Setup Button down for 20 seconds, then releasing. After this, reconnect the Stick Up Cam to wifi by following these steps here. Let me know if this helps!

I have the stick up cam and solar panel and mine show power outlet. I set them up for battery and added the solar panels.
So far they have been nothing but trouble, not charging. Today I stopped recordings and motion from 10:30 AM until 7 PM and turned on recordings and motion and kicked off an event and no change in battery charging. I have completely, recharged battery and deleted the cam and installed new.
Not impressed with this setup. Unfortunately I purchased 3 and not worth the money.

Hi Tom-

My stick up cam with the solar panel says “power outlet” as well. Is there a way to see if the solar panel is actually working?

Hi neighbors! Thanks for the update on this situation. To get this in front of the appropriate team, would you be able to provide a screenshot of the screen that shows the power source as “power outlet”? I can then take that information and have it investigated so we can get to the bottom of this. Thank you for your cooperation!

Screenshot.

Any luck hearing back from the team? I had started tracking battery life on my 3 stick up cams. Cam 1 had 98% on 8/30/20 and now is down to 94% on 9/4 with 10 to 12 events during that time interval.

Cam 2 had 97% 8/30 and now 93% on 9/4with 10 events

cam 3 had 93% on 8/30 and I have shut off recording and motion 3 days during daytime hours and then since and still down to 91%

Again they all show power outlet as source. They all show on pwer outlet from 6:30 AM until at least 7PM.

I have done the dog and pony show of resetting them and actually removed the devices and reinstalled. I have only had for a few months, so shouldn’t be due to battery life.

I am having the exact same issue.

Hi neighbors. It sounds like this is something that our support should look into for you. We want you have a great experience with your Ring products and since they are not performing as expected, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to let me know how this went!

I thought that is what I was doing, why did I send you the screenshot then?

Why do I get the feeling ring is on the way out since Amazon purchased you. Grap the propietary stuff from Ring and ditch the rest. No chat or email support callin only. Is there a number for returns?

Hi @Fensktd. I used the screenshot to determine if this was something I would be able to solve with you. The issue your having may require more in depth troubleshooting. With this being a neighbor to neighbor support forum, I advised to contact support so you can be best taken care of. Due to COVID-19, our chat and email support has been redirected to support calls to ensure our teams safey. We do appreciate your patience during these difficult times. If you would like to return your items, you can call the support number I’ve listed above or use our self service return.

Same issue here with my newly installed stickup cam.

Useful info on this topic:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Accessories/How-you-know-if-your-solar-panel-is-connected-A-quick-check/m-p/58023#M2213

2 Likes

Yes, noticed in testing or at night if it is not charging there is no lightning bolt. My problem is with only one event a day on a camera it should not be losing a charge. All 3 of mine losing a charge percentages a day. That will make them pretty much useless during the winter with short days and if you have any events. The whole reason I bought the solar panels was not to be climbing a ladder in the winter.

I have jumped through the hoops from cleaning panels, pulling batteries and recharging them, reset units, and even removed devices and started over from scratch.

I wish I would have read all the issues on the Ring Community before buying. Would not recommend buying…just junk. Ring needs to upgrade them and offer replacements.

I’m experiencing a similar issue. Here’s my post from a related discussion thread:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/Ring-app-does-not-accurately-reflect-battery-charge/td-p/11998/page/3

I set up my new Stick Up Cam Solar several months ago (around end of May); it worked so well that I got a second one shortly thereafter. In the full Hawaiian summer sun, app initially showed batteries for both cams consistently charged at/near 100% every day. A couple of weeks ago, app started showing batteries slowly draining to where it has held steady at about 86% (1st cam) and 93% (2nd cam) for the past week – despite switching off “Record Motion” for up to a day at a time (both cams).

Fearing the worst, I just purchased a backup battery and ordered a Super Solar Panel through Amazon. Now, after seeing similar experiences described in various community posts, I’m thinking that the issue may not be with the hardware.

Ring app ver. 3.30.0; Android 10 on Galaxy S10.

I am starting to think that way too, either app or device firmware. Unfortunately the device doesn’t show version just up to date. I find it hard to believe all 3 of mine have developed the same issue at the same time. I stopped recording and monitoring for just about 72hrs on one and it never increased the charge.

Thanks for the info.

I think we’re all feeling the same pain. Here’s another pertinent community discussion thread—

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/Spotlight-Cam-Battery-not-charging-with-solar-panel/td-p/5070

Perhaps I should add that a short time ago, back when my first 3rd generation Stick Up Cam Solar was consistently at/near 100% battery capacity (shown as “power outlet” connected during the day), I received an app alert that I had the option of “selecting” my motion zone (similar to my 1st generation Stick Up Cam Wired). Because I liked this feature, I tried it-- only to realize that it rapidly drained my battery. Over the next two days, after fully recharging my battery, I went through the exercise of resetting/restoring the cam in “battery” mode. My current problem occurred shortly thereafter.

Perhaps the Ring tech folks might want to focus on the recent firmware update that prompted the misguided “motion zone” app alert option that some users have commented on in the various community threads.

Well talked to Ring today, 3rd time on this issue, of course first question are they getting enough daylight. Told them I easly see them with lightning bolt showing charging from 7AM to 7PM. Anyhow they are sending 3 new panels out. Asked them don’t they think that all 3 having the same issue same time might be something else besides not enough sunlight.

Asked to talk to an engineer, no luck. I did talk to a supervisor and informed him it would appear this is a known issue.

I also found out they only do refunds in the first 30days. May end up just taking the cams back to Costco for refund and eat the cost of solar panels I purchased from Ring.

So I swapped out one of the solar panels on Saturday 9/19 at 10AM and at the time my battery showed 88%. I stopped recordings and monitoring at that time and as of 9/20 8:30PM still at 88%. I know it is a trickle charge, but sure would think even something as bad as these solar panels are it would charge a couple percent.
Update.
Now on 9/22 it is down to 87% with no recordings or motion.

1 Like