Ring Stick Up Cam Battery Motion Zones

Can anyone confirm that there is no facility to user define your motion detector zones on the Ring Stick Up Camera Battery. I bought one under the impression this was possible. I can’t find a way to do this on the Ring App. Does this feature only apply to the floodlight cameras. If this is the case perhaps Ring Development should seriously be looking at this feature to be included in any new model of the Stick Up Camera.

Hey @Greno. Since the Stick Up Cam Battery is a battery operated device, it will not have motion zones unlike our hardwired/powered devices like the Floodlight Cam. You can learn more about this in our Ring Help Center Article here. I will make sure to pass on your feedback to the appropriate team as well!

Many thanks Chelsea for making it clearer. It would have been useful to have defined motion detector zones, but I am still happy with the camera and it’s functionality.

1 Like

Hi

I have managed to set up two Motion Zones on my Stick Up battery Camera. They show as Black rectangles. But I cannot remember how this was done and I cannot edit or delete them. Also they do not appear to work very well. So it appears that it can be done. The cameras have only been installed about a week so i am still learning.

Hey Chelsea,

Although your response aligns with what’s available in the product itself, it certainly doesn’t align with that is indicated as a feature of the camera’s on the website.

This article specifically states that a stick up cam supports the feature in question.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021842611-Utilizing-Motion-Zones-With-Your-Powered-Ring-Devices

You should give feedback to the team that they’re promoting features that aren’t available, which is pretty frustrating from a customer standpoint after spending hundreds of dollars on cams and other devices based on the features that are promoted and yet unavailable.

1 Like

I do not understand this.

I have 2 ring doorbells, both are battery powered and I have the ability to control the zone reach.

Yet on the stick up cam, I do not.

Can that be explained?

Hey neighbors! I’m happy to help provide some more clarity for you on your concerns.

@ColinT Are you referencing the Privacy Zone feature? This feature is where you can enable black boxes on your Live View so that you can avoid areas you do not need to see. This is a feature neighbors often utilize when living in apartment buildings. This is a different feature than what the OP is referencing to, which is the motion zones you create on a Floodlight Cam or other wired devices.

@kwanjuju What device are you referring to? The OP is referencing a Stick Up Cam Battery, which is a battery operated device, not a powered and wired device as you have referenced with this article. The Stick Up Cam Battery is not included in the list of devices in the article you have referenced, which is why I referred the neighbor to visit this Help Center Article here. I apologize if my previous response has provided any confusion!

@Yankees15 What zones are you referencing to being able to control on the Stick Up Cam, versus the Ring Video Doorbell 2? If you could please reply with some screenshots explaining these differences I will be happy to clear this up for you! :slight_smile:

I have a generation 2 battery stick up cam. It has that half circle motion zone ability. My new 3rd generation battery stick up cam has only motion sensitivity and there is no zone customizability. This is a downgrade from generation 2 and makes no sense. Why are u selling a product that has fewer features than its predecessor? You need to put the same software/firmware as in the prior generation and add on to it for improvement Not Take it away! Put back customized motion zone setting on the generation 3 battery stick up cam.

3 Likes

The statement about the customizable motion zone on wired cameras is not true. I bought a Plug-In version of the Stick Up Cam (3rd gen) a week ago, and the technical detail says it has adjustable motion zones (see Capture). I tried to install it today and it does NOT have that advertised function (see the screenshot of my Ring app). There is only a button to toggle on/off motion detection and a laughable bar to adjust the sensitivity. Totally False advertisement.

1 Like

Harumph…Also just ran into this issue…

1 Like

Hey neighbors! @TMO @medic459 Happy to clear this up for you. Please check out our Help Center Article here for more information on the different kind of Motion Detection we offer here at Ring. It goes into three different types of Motion Detection: Advanced Motion Detection, Adjustable Motion Zones, and Customizable Motion Zones. It seems like you both are interested in the Customizable Motion Zones, which is only an option for our wired devices. Please note that if you have any of the following below, you should only have Advanced Motion Detection and Adjustable Motion Zones:

• Ring Video Doorbell
  • Ring Video Doorbell 2
  • Ring Video Doorbell 3 and 3 Plus
  • Ring Door View Cam
  • Ring Stick Up Cam Battery and Plug-In
  • Ring Spotlight Cam Battery

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, and I’ll be happy to help further.

Hi, I’ve trying to find help with customizable motion zone on my new wired stick up cam and this is the only article I can find that comes close to my question. I have a 2 generation stick cam that I used to be able to customize my motion zones. Not if there was a firmware update that removed that function, but decided to purchase a new 3 generation wired stick up cam believing I would be able to adjust motion zones same as my doorbell cam and how my first stick up cam worked. Can you explain why I’m not able to customize motion zones on my new wired cam?

My Ring doorbell battery has motion zones that I can enable or disable but my new stick-cam battery DOES NOT.

How do I enable in the app?

Why can’t I adjust the motion zones? This feature doesn’t even show on the motion settings of my Stick Up Cam Gen 2.

I’ve just received an email from Ring promoting this feature again in the Stick Up Cam Battery, specifically -

• From the email “…best fit your needs for the Stick Up Cam Battery”

• when i follow the link in the email it directs me to the article -

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022462472-Utilizing-Motion-Detection-with-your-Ring-Battery-Devices?utm_source=Braze&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Day_5_-_US&utm_content=Email&utm_campaignid=8023eeebcee0410517afcb615bb534ec

Note, “… with you Ring Battery Devices”.

• within the article it details how to go into the app and set motion zones. Nowhere does it say it’s only applicable to wired devices (the article is specifically titled " Battery devices").

Is there something I’m missing regarding this, or is it just that the emails and article are misleading?

I’m not expecting to have the same ‘pixel level’ functionality as the wired camera, but I did at least think it was possible to control the PIR sensor in the camera in some way (other than just sensitivity).

Steve

Hi neighbors! The Stick Up Cam (3rd generation) can be both battery powered and plugged in. Although there is a difference in power, the method or type of motion detection is similar to other battery powered Ring devices.

I recommend taking a look at our Camera Comparison Guide, which lists out the difference in motion features and more. Following the guide for motion settings for battery powered devices should match your Stick Up Cam (3rd gen). Remember to also check power mode if you are alternating between battery and plug in power, as this will differ in battery usage. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I have this same issue!! I am very disappointed that the functionality isn’t the same across all devices. That was why these cameras were purchased and I want to return them because of not having this feature.

Re: Ring Stick Up Cam Battery Motion Zones