Ring Spotlight Camera - install charged battery, but red LED light still on

This is an obvious problem. I have been dealing with this problem over the years and it has caused me much frustration. I finally was able to determine that RING batteries show GREEN when they are FULLY CHARGED. I was finally wise enough to start taking my spotlight cameras down and making sure they work instead of just depending on the “Green Light” to indicate the battery is “Good to Go”. (My cameras are located in some precarious locations that require an extension ladder to access.)

I’m having the same problem. The batteries are fully charged but when I insert them the camera still shows the red light and will not power on.
Does anyone have a solution?

1 Like

RING SUCKS! This is certainly a product issue! And after calling their support and try it one more time (yes it’s the change other battery and 20 sec hold which doesn’t make any difference) they concluded that yeah the camera is not responding and there’s nothing they can do. This product is over one year warranty and all they can do is give u a discount for buying another one.

With full disappointment I’m certainly not going to spend a single more dollar on Ring. and here are the reasons why Ring SUCKS:
(1) Issue management. This is not an isolated case (see posts above) and clearly customers didn’t do anything wrong. Till date, in the help center there is no tracks if known issue and root cause analysis.
(2) Product design and quality control. IOT device has matured for years, a big IOT company like Ring designed its product with such a sloppy reset mechanism is a shame. Quality testing didn’t catch it either. Worst case, you had to hear it from customer, even though, a responsive product company shall at least try to take back the faulty ones and study the root cause and fix it later. If there is any conditions that customer needs to know to avoid a fault like this happen, e.g. after battery died for some time and not timely recharged the device may go into a permanently dead situation, then this should go as a big WARNING to customer when they buy it. And have the Ring app send battery notifications and keep nags for recharge. Well Ring did none of these.
What’s worse:
(3) Customer care. Ring products are not cheap (plus all the batteries, or solar panels, subscription fees they lure you into). It only lasted 2 years in my case and paying this much money is so not worth it. If you find this defect within a year you are ‘lucky’ to get a replacement, and see how lucky you are the next time. More than likely you will either end up with: Keep spending money in this black hole or make up your mind to replace all of them. Ring’s policy is so rigid that they don’t recognize product issues like this and customer support (even after escalation) can only offer a joking ‘discount’ for buying another product.

Ring used to be respected for quality and service, I’m deeply disappointed how complacent it has become now. I guess the hard earned reputation can go down the drain very quickly.

Here are my two cents to Ring management and quality management team (if there is one ), if you still care for product quality and reputation please look into this issue and my points above and address them responsively. Yes we are the ones who paid the premium (many competitors are cheaper and have comparable quality and features) for the reputation Ring (used to) has because security of our home is very important to us. For this same reason, we will be very picky on the product and service, and are even willing to take the high switching cost once we are deeply disappointed like this. Don’t take the customers for granted!

2 Likes

I have the exact same issue! After many years of the camera working fine, I’m getting blinking red lights inside the camera compartment for both batteries (which are fully charged and show green lights that they’re full) regardless of which battery goes in which compartment.

As a result, the camera will not enter setup or join my network and it’s not usable anymore.

How can this be fixed?

1 Like

I have an issue where the battery lights are solid red, the app shows them both at 100%, but the device has gone offline twice in a week, requiring a factory reset and re-adding. It’s just out of warranty too :confused:

1 Like

Well as I read your I’m getting very frustrated with customer services response.

I have 2 ring cameras both with 2 batteries and both with solar panels. The I’ve with the issue started off with the batteries dying. I thought ih had defected batteries. Maybe just maybe they just went bad way to early. So I purchased 2 new ones. Plugged it in and it worked out for 4 days n then day 5 they were getting low again. Day 6 no clouds, perfect outside with the sun blasting down. NOTHING. I thought hmm, let me do everything that I KEEP reading as a response from the Ring team. Usually just shutting off the light i get the little light show then I’m able to do whatever. NOTHING. I hold down for 20 seconds, nothing. 30 seconds, nothing. I kept trying and ignorantly was thinking that it didn’t work these last 4 times but hey this time it will. NOTHING. So i say it must be the solar panel. Even it’s got to be. So I even take out what I know to be perfect batteries out of the good camera. Put a very small piece of black electric tape so I know which ones are good. I fully charge with the brown cable supplied from Ring. ALL LIGHTS ARE GREEN. I tried them all in the good camera. I started off with the first he original ones that were in the bad camera. 8 days do fly charged. I move in to the new ones I bought. 7 days fully charged. I put the original ones with the black tape in. After I took the tape off of course. Still working going on two weeks. So i don’t need to mess with that anymore. So i get the 4 batteries fully charged again. In the middle of trying them out in the good camera the new solar panel came. The SUPER PANEL. The $100 one. I changed them out and tried again. It won’t even take the new batteries. It will not even turn on. Both lights are red next to the batteries. I pressed and held down for 20 seconds. NOTHING. I CAN’T GET IT TO DO ANYTHING! I literally take the batteries right out and put them in the other cam, my God it was amazing they worked. Shocking! But they are not working with the camera that stopped charging. Brand new batteries, brand new best solar panel fully charged, pressed rest. Ring Customer Service, instead of just hitting paste with the same answer… NOW WHAT? We all or at least most are doing what you say. All of us are not that stupid. It’s not working. I’m sure you’re going to ignore this. WHAT DO WE DO TO GET OUR RING SPOTLIGHT BATTERY CAMS WORKING? Your test isn’t working. Seems like you guys might have some faulty cables but don’t want to express any help or a quick resolve because it’s best for you to let is purchase all these things again thinking something happened. I mean that’s a lot of money for you guys. To me it seems maybe the camera is faulty or went out. EXTREMELY possible? Oh and i took the $89 reusable air blue I got off of Amazon and blew it out. VERY WELL! Cleaned the inside VERY WELL! So what now? Look, we bought your product to work for many years. Some of us bought multiple. Can’t that be good enough for you to want to help us better? I would think and hope. I’m sure i will not hear anything but I surely hope I do. Thank you.

• JoeT80
1 Like

This is happening to me as well…. What in the world happened… fully charged batteries, the device is now paperweight… no response at all… help! It was working fine until 4/17/23…. Did Ring sent a bug to auto destroy the camera??

Hi @Limarex. As mentioned in the solution, if you have tried resetting the Camera and are still having the same concern, the next best step is to contact our support team for further assistance.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.