Ring Pro cracked button

Could someone who doesn’t have the protection plan simply add it now and call up to get a replacement ?

Anyone in the USA have any extra 3d printed buttons I could buy ? Please reply here. Thanks

I tried that pitch (i.e." how about I join Ring Protect now") and you send me a replacement. This was denied.

I decided not to even call as my ring is 3 years old. I messaged 2 different people about buying a 3d printed button and got results! should have it in the mail in a few days. My other option ws to take the 3d button file and order one myself online as directed - would have done this if i did not get a response. will follow up once i get it and install it.

AGREED.
Mine I just over 1 year and cracked right down the middle

I decided while i wait for my 3d printed button to arrive in the mail i would call ring just for the slim chance they are willing to replace my 3 year old out of warenty without the ring protect service…THEY DID! idk how or why, but the lady i spoke with was super nice - even said that shes sees im out of warenty but as this is a safety concern she will do a replacement. She tried to process it and hit a roadblock (prob bec out of warenty) but put me on hold and spoke with a supervisor. Came back and asked me to email them a picture of the broken device and then processed it.
Im shocked as there are people in this thread that claim they were told many times once out of warenty they wont help and at best offer a 35% discount to rebuy a new one.

1 Like

Thank you for coming back to share your results with the Community! It is great to see that you were able to find a solution through support, and receive a replacement.

For other neighbors who are experiencing this concern, or have not reached out to support yet, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Feel free to also check out our warranty page, as well as information on Protect Plus subscriptions and extending warranty.

@kivi12k, you might notice your post is edited. As the Ring Community is a peer to peer forum, accessible by all neighbors, we ask to not sell anything or make any personal information available in this public space. At Ring we value your security and your privacy. Please read our Community Guidelines to ensure we are making the Community the best it can be for all neighbors. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

The moderators will surely remove any information I post here but you can find my design and one or two others on sites such as Thingiverse or MyMiniFactory (someone else’s). You can then take those files and try various sites that will offer printing services or you can DM myself via those other sites to see about getting a hold of stock that I’ve printed already. Wish I could be more direct but the moderators have obviously been hard at work recently. Which I guess is a good thing that they are finally taking notice of the issue. But it’s also why I love 3D printing and design since I can just work up a model and itterate it until it’s solve the problem. Thanks again to all who have already ordered buttons from myself and anyone else who’s taken the time to help the community address this issue.

2 Likes

Great video. Looking at your video, are you absolutely sure you need to disassemble the unit? It seems to be replaceable from the outside but I might be wrong!

Interesting question @RodDiaz. What I don’t detail in the video is how the new button actually clips on, because I’d already completed that off camera and didn’t want to risk damaging my new button, but the tolerances on parts are very tight - the old button takes some manipulation to take off, and the new one clicks into place very tightly.

If the old button had completely cracked right across its diameter so that it detached from the sprung base and could be pulled out from the front, you *might* be able to squeeze the new button on from the front. Would certainly reduce the risk and effort! Let us know if you do try.

Hi

How can I purchase one of these buttons please ? I am in the UK

Hi. How can i purchase one of these replacement buttons in the UK please

This is NOT solved unfortunately - I called today and ring refused to replace the unit. The only think they offered was a 35% coupon (that won’t work on refurbs). With the disctount it is virtually the same price Amazon is selling it for today. Just under three years, but I am not going to shell out that amoutn of money again less than 3 years later! I understand these won;t last forever, but <3 years is crazy for $250 doorbells - especially since we aren’t going anywhere these days.

I actually called about two units. One with a botton that is broken in half and the other has spiderweb cracking throughout the plastic in front of the camera. Very limited lifetime - will not recommend to friends anymore. Had been considering getting a Ring Alarm, btu that is out the window now.

very disappointed…

3 Likes

@codemonkey I can’t find you on either of those sites, nor the 3D printed button. What is your username and what did you call the file?

Look for sorren4 on Thingi. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4052883

1 Like

Like others, I also have a cracked button. Seems like the issue is directly related to delivery persons jabbing the buttons with keys/boxes as described https://www.zdnet.com/article/coronavirus-fears-are-destroying-ring-doorbells/.

Until the button design is updated/protected, I suspect there’ll be more and more people experiencing this issue (regardless if they replace the doorbell or not).

1 Like

I also had the same problem with my Ring Elite that cost me 499€. Supposedly the top of the line Ring doorbell.

It stopped working, probably because water got inside the cracked button.

I contacted Ring about this but since my Ring Elite is 2,5 years old, the only option I was given was to throw it in the garbage and buy a new one (to last another 2,5 years in the same place) with a discount of 30%.

Ring doesn’t take responsability of this product defect and doesn’t have no option to repair it.

This is not acceptable!!

Ring says that the Ring Elite (and the other models) is weather resistant , but it only lasted 2,5 years, and my doorbell has an average frequency of usage of once a week.

This is false advertisment to me.

If all the items that are attached to my house that say that are weather resistant, lasted 2,5 years, I would be in big trouble.

The video doorbell I had before Ring was installed in the same place as Ring was for more than 15 years, and it was still in great shape. Only replaced it for the online features of the Ring.

I’m already checking alternatives to replace my Ring Elite.

I can’t buy a doorbell that only lasts 2,5 years!!

Seems its poorly make, mine has also cracked going to give Ring a call tomorrow.

Tried their chat today waited 10mins for an agent and no agent.

Just called. Mine is out of warranty. They are offering 35% discount for getting a new one.

I am sorry. A dumb doorbell could last for decades. If smart doorbell couldn’t even last for a couple of years? What’s the point? Badly built! Cheap material.

I am disappointed in Ring. Why am I still paying for the subscription?

1 Like

I just did a search on google and a custom button is on sale on etsy.

definitely cheaper than purchasing a new doorbell even if I have to replace it twice a year!