Ring Heat Sensor for attic or basement

Ring should make a heat sensor that can be used for fire monitoring / protection with Ring Protect. Some home insurance companies (seems like the better/more stringent ones) require monitored heat sensors in attics and mechanicals rooms. Ideally, this new heat sensor should be powered by battery to avoid costly electrical work required to hard wire this type of sensor.

3 Likes

First Alert Z-Wave Smoke/CO Alarm . . .Doesn’t this work for you? It’s already available and integrates with the Ring Alarm Base unit seamlessly.

https://shop.ring.com/products/first-alert-smoke-co-alarm-zcombo-g-z-wave

or if you already have a Smoke/CO alarm,

https://shop.ring.com/products/alarm-smoke-co-listener

Or were you describing something different?

1 Like

@kazchicago

First Alert Z-Wave Smoke/CO Alarm . . .Doesn’t this work for you? It’s already available and integrates with the Ring Alarm Base unit seamlessly.

https://shop.ring.com/products/first-alert-smoke-co-alarm-zcombo-g-z-wave

or if you already have a Smoke/CO alarm,

https://shop.ring.com/products/alarm-smoke-co-listener

Or were you describing something different? You can purchase the Smoke/CO from either Ring or in local stores. First Alert and Ring partnered up together for this feature.

1 Like

There should be a difference… Heat sensors for kitchen areas would be nice, where as a smoke/Co device isn’t the best idea to mount even 10 ft away from stove.

1 Like

Heat sensors are also necessary in the kitchen where the risk of fire is high but smoke detectors are not recommended.

1 Like

Heat sensor for ring
Yes I had the same problem with an insurance company. They even told me I MUST use ADT because Ring does not have a heat sensor solution. Heat sensors are normally a open circuit and will short when temp exceeds 135 degrees.

SOLUTION: I used the existing heat sensors from a older system by wiring them to a Ring water/freeze sensor. Label the water sensor as a heat sensor. It’s monitored by Ring Protect at all times. Make sure to remove any EOL resistors that may have been installed in the pervious sensors.

2 Likes

Hi Don, I’m looking for a similar solution. Already have older heat detectors, but I’m not sure what you mean by wire it to a water freeze sensor. Any additional info you can provide?

Thanks,
Rich

2 Likes

Will Ring Protect know it’s a fire because you labeled it as such or will they just think its water.
I would want the fire dept. dispatched if I’m not home or out of the country not a plumber.

Thanks Steve

1 Like

I think I have a different solution maybe better.
I bought a First Alert BRK 3120B smoke alarm and wired it to 120 V AC. It has battery backup and an orange wire used to signal multiple alarms when more than one of these alarms are used. I you connect 5V + DC to the orange wire and the neutral AC wire (green) the 3120 will sound. I hooked up all the heat sensors which have a NO (normally open contacts) together and used the NO contacts to connect the 5V - to the neutral wire. I used one of the keypads white 5V supply and wire, but any USB power supply will work. Then I bought a Ring Smoke CO listener and placed it 3" from the 3120B. If and heat sensor goes off the 3120B will sound and the listener will pick it up

1 Like

Great articles thanks for sharing this awesome info.

Great idea !!! How about a response from Ring??

Excellent tinkering suggestions. Problem is that I’m older now and have so many weekend like projects like hooking up heat sensors to water sensor etc. I just want give Ring my money.
If not Ring, then another alarm company. This is a real oversight!!! Shame on me for not recognizing this when I chose Ring.

Has anyone tried a 3rd-party Z-Wave Heater Detector, like the Climax HD-9ZW?

I purchased battery operated fire angel brand heat detectors for the kitchen and the utility room and then placed a listener next to each alarm. Heat detector has a 10 year life and easily triggers the ring listener. These are European alarms so it will not be an overnight delivery. The heat sensor price was very reasonable. No false alarms when cooking.

2 Likes

I know this is an old topic but I second this request. A max temp and rise-rate sensor is a must for a garage where car exhaust could cause false alarms. I’d also use such a device in my workshop, where dust or fumes might set off a regular smoke detector.

1 Like

I really like the Ring Alarm product and it has allowed me to migrate from a wired ADT system to a homeowner install friendly environment. However, my original wired system allowed me to have 135 degree F heat detectors in the garage and furnace room where a smoke detector is inappropriate. I purchased the retrofit panel in hopes of using it with the Normally Open heat sensors to replace this function. However, I discovered the retrofit kit doesn’t accomodate Normally Open circuits. I just placed an order for NC Heat Sensors and hope that it will work with 2K line terminating loads. Regadless, my hope is that Ring will consider adding Heat Detector/Alarms to the product offering.

1 Like

I have the same question/request. Most fire departments and smoke detector companies will tell you not to install a CO/Smoke detector in the garage, a heat detector option for furnace rooms and garages would be a very good thing. Honeywell and others provide it.

1 Like

+1. For a garage, fema.gov does NOT recommend smoke detector, but does recommend heat detector.

On the package of ring.com’s smoke/CO sensor disclaims that it does NOT detect fire, which I like the honesty. I’m having a trouble in understanding though the search feature on ring’s shopping automatically converts when I type in “fire” to “smoke”.

Definitely this is one thing that immediately needs added to the Ring lineup! Also, need a 195 or 205 degree version for attics.

2 Likes

Please look at developing or a way to integrate heat detectors into your security system for alarms which can be set in garages and attics. Thanks.

I would like to have a smoke detectors and heat detectors integrated into the Ring system. I disconnected my previously wired system that I had for years, and installed the Ring wireless alarm system. I didn’t think about my smoke and heat detectors in the house being wired to the old alarm system. Now I’m without that safety coverage and will have to get battery operated individual detectors throughout the house. I would rather it be tied in to the central alarm security system.