Ring garage door tilt

How about a garage door tilt sensor that can set off the alarm? If you won’t allow third party to do this then make one yourself please. I made one from a window sensor and an aluminum hinge, but this is ugly and you could make some money selling this I suspect. Garage doors are a common entry point for burglars.

@Brad4 wrote:

How about a garage door tilt sensor that can set off the alarm? If you won’t allow third party to do this then make one yourself please. I made one from a window sensor and an aluminum hinge, but this is ugly and you could make some money selling this I suspect. Garage doors are a common entry point for burglars.

Hello @Brad4 ,

Although there is the “Ecolink Garage Door Tilt Sensor” that is available https://shop.ring.com/products/ecolink-tilt-sensor-zwave2-5-eco you are correct that this 3rd-party-sensor will not set off the alarm. Like you, I utilized a window sensor (Ring Contact-sensor) so it will activate the Ring Alarm system, but I did not use an aluminum hinge. I simply mounted the magnet-portion on the garage door with the sensor-portion on the garage door frame. I mounted the sensor high (about 5 feet up on the side) and used screws in addition to the adhesive for mounting. Since the door-seal is not a perfect weather-tight, I added a wide clear tape over the sensor-portion (that has the electronic components) to add additional water protection if any rain gets driven in by a wind storm.

I’m curious what your ‘hinge’ set-up looks like and why you needed it, instead of just mounting the Contact sensor on the side of the door itself?

If mounting the Ring Alarm Contact Sensor to the side of the garage door doesn’t work, you can find some mounts on Etsy by searching for something like “Ring Garage Door Mount”. That’ll allow you to attach the Ring sensor nearly anywhere on the back of the garage door.