Ring garage door tilt

How about a garage door tilt sensor that can set off the alarm? If you won’t allow third party to do this then make one yourself please. I made one from a window sensor and an aluminum hinge, but this is ugly and you could make some money selling this I suspect. Garage doors are a common entry point for burglars.

@Brad4 wrote:

How about a garage door tilt sensor that can set off the alarm? If you won’t allow third party to do this then make one yourself please. I made one from a window sensor and an aluminum hinge, but this is ugly and you could make some money selling this I suspect. Garage doors are a common entry point for burglars.

Hello @Brad4 ,

Although there is the “Ecolink Garage Door Tilt Sensor” that is available https://shop.ring.com/products/ecolink-tilt-sensor-zwave2-5-eco you are correct that this 3rd-party-sensor will not set off the alarm. Like you, I utilized a window sensor (Ring Contact-sensor) so it will activate the Ring Alarm system, but I did not use an aluminum hinge. I simply mounted the magnet-portion on the garage door with the sensor-portion on the garage door frame. I mounted the sensor high (about 5 feet up on the side) and used screws in addition to the adhesive for mounting. Since the door-seal is not a perfect weather-tight, I added a wide clear tape over the sensor-portion (that has the electronic components) to add additional water protection if any rain gets driven in by a wind storm.

I’m curious what your ‘hinge’ set-up looks like and why you needed it, instead of just mounting the Contact sensor on the side of the door itself?