Ring Edge recordings not working well

Hi,

Installed the ring alarm pro late last week. I changed a couple of my cameras to the local storage for recordings… One is a spotlight cam mount. the RSSI is around -45. I have noticed when I have the recordings set for local storage, they do not play or play a black screen. There is sound, just no video. The camera snapshots are all showing but when it gets to a video, it plays as a black screen. I have a new Samsung Evo 512gb card in the base station. When I switch the camera back to saving to ring, the recordings are all fine that are recorded there. I am on an iOS 15.1 device with the most recent ring app. Any thoughts?

1 Like

There are a few factors that can be checked when Ring Edge recordings will not play;

• Ensuring your Camera model is eligible.
  • Check if you are using End to End Encryption.
  • Is the Camera subscribed to a Protect Plan.
  • Is your Camera up to date.

These steps and more can be found in our Help Center article here. As you mentioned using a Spotlight Camera mount and being able to see recordings otherwise, this should be working as intended.

As mentioned in this article, and depending on how you are attempting to view your recordings, please also consider if your MicroSD card has any encryption.

If this concern persists despite trying the above suggestions, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

It’s a spotlight cam 2 - it should be eligible.
No end-to-end encryption, sd card not encrypted.
Yes, it’s subscribed
Cameras all say the firmware is up to date.

that being said, I believe the alarm pro did a firmware update last night. It still is not allowing me to view the recorded feed (motion detected, person detected) but shows the screenshots that are taken throughout the day and night. Also, my stick-up came, 3rd generation, does seem to work.

1 Like

Thank you for going through those steps, @chrisrose98. This certainly should be working as intended.

For a closer look at this concern, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. Feel free to let us know how it goes. In the meantime, I’ll also be sharing this feedback with our teams here. :slight_smile:

HI Marley_Ring… one thing I have noticed… when I use the view of my motion detected and person, etc, when I slide through events, at night, all events seem to show but during the day, many motion events show as a black screen, then it goes back to the snapshots (those are fine). Live view is always fine. The sound is still there when I let them play and if I go to the web interface on my computer and try to share them, they seem to save with my video. Again, it seems to only happen on the one spotlight camera mount (2nd gen).

1 Like

I have exact same issue. Same video settings as described above. No issues with local video playback with 1st gen cam. My ring doorbell pro 2 and spot cam 2nd gen. No issue with spot cam 1st gen and ring stick, and other 1 st gen devices.

do not use microSD card. I had a major issue. The card reader in my ring pro device does not work for no reason. now no videos are accessible and all videos were encrypted even though i didnt want them to be encrypted. tech support cannot help at all.