Ring doorbell showing black recording

Having this exact same issue. Again. It happened a while back - nothing changed on our network to cause it OR fix it. It went back to normal on its own until the last few days where I’m getting 40 second black recordings. I swap the battery out when it gets low so charging it or changing the battery definitely does not fix this.

I know no wireless camera/doorbell system is perfect but this is really annoying. Once I’m able to go back to our hardwired 24/7 setup I will. In the meantime I will see what goes on sale on Black Friday and contemplate ditching Ring. I do like the Ring home alarm though, so far that’s worked really well for us. It’ll be annoying to use one app for the alarm and another for cameras but worth it.

Hi,

I’ve been having the same issues for the past two weeks. Ring says it’s router but nothing else in the house is failing or lagging. Can you tell me what service provider you have. We are also being told it may just be a Uverse problem. Ironically enough we had the same issue the same time last year and after days of trouble shooting and trying a new ring doorbell the issue resolved itself.

AM

@oahu_built wrote:
Having this exact same issue. Again. It happened a while back - nothing changed on our network to cause it OR fix it. It went back to normal on its own until the last few days where I’m getting 40 second black recordings. I swap the battery out when it gets low so charging it or changing the battery definitely does not fix this.

I know no wireless camera/doorbell system is perfect but this is really annoying. Once I’m able to go back to our hardwired 24/7 setup I will. In the meantime I will see what goes on sale on Black Friday and contemplate ditching Ring. I do like the Ring home alarm though, so far that’s worked really well for us. It’ll be annoying to use one app for the alarm and another for cameras but worth it.

Same for us happened last year. I have an older generation and thing maybe it’s time to upgrade because of the new 5G push. Can you tell me what Generation you have and what Serice provider you have? We have 2nd gen and ATT Uverse. no other issues with connected devices. - AM

I have been getting updates for all of your folks on the black recordings with your Ring doorbells. I have not done anything different for the last time I orginally complained about my black recordings…They have went away!! The only thing I changed was the recording area. I was tired of gettin a recording everytime someone drove on my street or walked on the sidewalk. The “Zone” is about 10 feet from my front door. I have had no more issues.

I have Specrum Internet (not 5G) and ADT hard wired my Ring, so no battery isuues…

Good luck you guys…I know the frustration…

Have a Ring Stick-up Battery cam. It worked fine until a firmware update that pushed out a new Smart Alerts feature Rich Notifications. A factory reset finally resolved. Been over a week now without issue. FYI: A factory reset will not delete recordings. Just need to setup like a new camera and duplicate any custom settings/features you had before.

Ring if your listsening please show a firmware version somewhere on the Device Health page. Just indicating “Up to Date” really doesnt help anyone. Also, please insert an option to restart (reboot) the device from within the app.

It’s a Ring Doorbell 2, and we have Spectrum for internet (100 down / 5 up). High end Orbi mesh system with the main router about 10 feet away. Our Ring Doorbell 2nd gen (2020) is fine but is a few feet closer to the router. Really tempted to try a Google Nest doorbell and just run power to where the problematic one is. The other Ring we have already has power so I don’t need something with a battery.

Well, ordered a Google Nest doorbell. 24/7 recording and much higher video quality. We had someone come into our garage at 4a and our Ring barely caught them… it had black/blank 40 second videos before and after. Not worth having it if we can’t even rely on it recording. We’ve put up with it because we’re in a safe neighborhood (doesn’t everyone say that?) but we need something more reliable.

Hi are you still having trouble with your doorbell I am having the same problem I just renewed my subscription and this problem happened very expensive doorbell everything was working fine until I renewed my subscription if you have sorted the problem could you please let me know how you sorted it I would not recommend this product to anyone

My Ring2 doorbell shows black videos. Its been going on for about a week. Occasionally a video will apear. Its the same on all my devices. My wi fi is fine. I have tried everything possible as the other posters have done. NOTHING!!! This is obviously an issue on the Ring end. Please do something or Ill toss this crap out and get a Nest instead. This is crazy.

All:

Experiencing same issues with black screen issues on live view/playback etc. Spent time with Customer Service and i have doorbell hardwired with battery. CS had me simply remove the battery for about 5 minutes and re-insert. Fixed black screen issues.

I had two motion alrrts with no motion and black recordings within five minutes of eachother at 4:30 am the other day. All recordings have wprked before and after so i know this isnt my setup or battery which is new btw. Ring is a shady poece of equipment linked to law enforcement and these blacked out false alerts make me feel like ive been hacked

What a crock! Why is it support addresses nothing but tries to blame it on all of us as if all of us could be wrong or stupid? How about you come clean from your shadiness and stop monitoring us selling info to the police and start fixing your stupid program before youre sued again? Who else is up for a lawsuit?!

1 Like

The answer here is not a good answer. It answers nothing and requires you to go to another page and read and read for no good reason. So irritating. Just put answers not links to more confusing garbage! Thanks for nothing!

Black screen is not low battery. I fully charged mine yesterday and I got the black screen today. Battery shows still fully charged. Always an issue with these doorbells.

2 Likes

Did anyone actually get a resolution to this? The linked article didn’t help me, so not sure for anyone else.
Further to the 40 seconds of black I also find that between about 11pm and 7am I get the opposite. A lot of 20 second recording with video, but triggered falsely. Every hour, bang on.
I have adjusted my motion settings to be pretty close range, with definitely no heat sources in range.
From checking the videos of the recordings there is absolutely no movement or heat being picked up. It is quite literally motion at 00:30, 01:30, 02:30, all the way through to ~07:30, at which point motion starts to be falsely detected multiple times every ~10 minutes or so, at which point the recordings become blank black screens for 40 seconds.

I love how Ring jump to blame routers. Can’t be that this number of people, running a wide range of routers using different ISPs all start experiencing the exact same issue at roughly the exact same time. Also doesn’t help that Ring have noticeably reduced their support service. Technical support only via telephone now? Really, it’s nearly 2021 and you’re moving away from online chat?!

Everything points towards a rather dodgy firmware update causing a bug. Would be nice for Ring to accept that something has changed which has cause the issue.

Have used and loved Ring wired doorbell for years. Never an issue of blacking out except for once 2 days ago (29 Dec) when a FEDEX package was apparently delivered at roughly the same time. Turns out bad guys can scramble your wi-fi with a $5 device from amazon and just follow the fedex truck…and take your packages without any video being taken other than a black screen. Wow. Very depressing. Thieves are so smooth that they balcked out the fedex delivery guy and their theft all at the same time. Very very depressing.

I started having the same problem when it worked fine for over one year. What fixed it for me was turning off the smart motion alerts. Works fine now. Definitely a software bug.

I’m going to try this.
We just purchased our Ring in June 2020 and when it actually records it’s a black screen but half the time it doesn’t even record.

Its the RING servers. I have 6 cameras and the only one that shows a black screen is the door bell. Used to work fine, but an update I am sure was done wrong and not fixed. Tired of blaming the router or internet. When you have fiber, the best whole house router, an RSSI of 39, all recordings work except one camera, the problem is RING. They will not admit it.

I’ve had a ring doorbell 2 for about 2 years now and it’s always worked fine. However since January 10th (I discovered from looking back on recordings) the videos became black and seemingly no content much as described by everyone else here. From January 11th onwards all recordings are black and the live shot never loads. Nothing has changed with my router, phones or connection.

This can only be a server issue or a update they have applied to my doorbell or app that has bricked it, deeming it useless.

So which is it Ring?

1 Like