Ring Doorbell Pro power issues

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to see what the best course of action is for me. Basically we bought a ring doorbell pro a bit over 2 years ago because we saw a special deal and went for it. We were in the middle of renovating and due to build delays we have only now gotten around to installing it.

The problem is that it worked for about an hour before not powering on at all. We are using the 24vac transformer that came with the unit, bought from Costco in Australia.

We googled it and think it may be the internal non-replaceable battery (??) so we’ve been trying to charge this from a laptop via a micro-usb cable, but still no luck. I have multi-meter tested the transformer, that’s fine.

This thing has literally been used for a few hours all up (we took it out of the box to test it when we first bought it), but now it’s completely useless. I was unaware that there even was an internal non-replaceable battery until I googled the issue.

So, question for the community, what’s the best plan of action from here? Should I attempt replacing the non-replaceable battery? Can Ring see my lack of use and therefore kindly offer another solution? I would hate to have paid $199 for nothing :frowning:

Thanks everyone!

Hey there, @edgeman! It definitely sounds like you have a sufficient power supply here. I recommend also checking wiring to ensure it is not too thin, too long of a run, eroding/ fraying, and is connected securely to the proper leads.

If so, this Video Doorbell Pro should certainly power up. As you mentioned getting this device to work for an amount of time, try checking the Device Health section in your Ring app to see what the last readings were for power and wifi signal.

Otherwise, if all troubleshooting has been exhausted, and the above variables look to be non-factors, Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Thank you for the response and apologies for the delay in getting back to you. We saw a power issue in the app and decided to buy a brand new Ring plug transformer from the ring website so that we knew it was compatible. :slight_smile:

The ring doorbell pro now powers on, and sends motion alerts which is great, but now we have another problem. Whenever anyone presses the button the doorbell shuts down, it makes a clicking noise and then after a little while boots up again. Sometimes it alerts us on the app before crashing, other times it does not.

I feel like we’re 1 step further along, but need your help with things to try for this issue.

Our setup is the ring doorbell pro wired directly to the new ring plug transformer, we have never had a ring chime or other traditional doorbell connected. Not sure if that makes a difference, we do not use the little white box that came with the ring pro which is meant to connect to an existing doorbell.

Let me know if there is (hopefully!) an easy fix for this one, and thanks for your help so far :slight_smile:

Hi @edgeman, happy to chime in for Marley here. For a concern like this, it would be best for you to contact our support team directly so they can look more closely at the wiring for your Doorbell. There could be a problem with how the Doorbell is installed that is causing it to power off like this. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to report back on what solution our support team recommends for you, as it may help other neighbors with a similar concern.

Thanks Caitlyn, will do :smiley:

1 Like