Ring Doorbell no longer displays LIVE view

Hey neighbors! This is a neighbor-to-neighbor support forum rather than a direct line to support, so if the suggestions mentioned in this thread do not resolve your concern, you’ll want to touch base with our support team for further assistance. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Many people on this thread claim to have called into tech support for this issue and the response from Ring has been useless. Most of us are tech savy enough to realize that if the device has power and a strong WIFI signal and coincidentally worked for 4 years seemlessly prior to this May that the issue is simply a firmware issue with Ring. I will try calling the support line again in the coming days and see what they say but I am guessing they have no fix for this issue since if they did it would have been rolled out in a firmware update within the last 6 months. The average user will not be able to open ports and mess around with the internal settings on a router so that really is an unacceptable response to this problem.

1 Like

As a last ditch effort I tried this fix and it worked. You have to go into your routers admin features and enable port forwarding as described in the articles below. Just tried this after struggling with this issue and the fix works, my live view now works when i am on the same WIFI network as my Ring doorbell. If you are not capable of modifying the advanced settings of your router you might as well return the Ring product as you will probably not be able to get it working otherwise.

Here is a good article explaining things.

https://www.adscon.com/sites/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=52

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/205385394-The-Protocols-and-Ports-Used-by-Ring-Devices

1. Allow devices on the same Wireless Access Point (WAP) to access Live View. If you have an iPAD or Smartphone that is connected to the same WAP as the Ring Doorbell with the Ring App installed, you have to open some additional outbound ports on the firewall to access Live View. I created a rule from any device that has the Ring Doorbell App Outbound to the Internet on these ports:

2. TCP 80

3. TCP 443

4. TCP 5228

5. TCP 15064

6. UDP 16500-65535

Following, same issue.

Ditto - "The average user will not be able to open ports and mess around with the internal settings on a router so that really is an unacceptable response to this problem."

And in response to the subsequent posters comments about having opened up ports and found this to work, please could you update after a few hours, as I did follow all the port opening options and found that it did indeed work for a ‘while’ (this is minutes to hours) after the updates to the firewall, but after this everything went back to being VERY intermittent.
I suspect that the perceived ‘solution’ was more down to the fact that the Ring Doorbell had been accessed repeatedly during the setup and testing of the firewall and had therefore not fallen back into what appears to be some sort of ‘sleep’ mode that seeminlgy only gets deactivated by either a number of motion activities in a short space of time, repeated requests for a Live View, or a ‘ping’ being sent to the device constantly to keep it alive.
If you send a ‘ping’ to a doorbell that has been idle for ‘some time’, you will get "destination unreachable’, if however you leave that ‘ping’ running and ask Alexa to “show me front door” (for example) then the ping will suddenly start to respond, even if, as is most often the case here, the Live View never actually appears.

1 Like

I have only read the last couple of posts on this thread so please excuse me if this comment is not relevant…

Does your router allow you to add the MAC address of your ring device into the DMZ ?

Just an idea (and not a long term solution).

1 Like

DMZ is a valid question - but sadly ‘no’ to the MAC on my router, I can however use the IP there (albeit DHCP - so I’ve set a long lease).
This doesn’t seem to improve things in any significant way - On Demand Live View is still sporadic, and often on Alexa Show responds “Sorry, camera not responding”, but still no Live View is triggered on the Show by motion / activity events at the door.
Of course as you say, this is not a long term solution, I hate using DMZ anyway, but as the MAC address can’t be used on my Synology router, ultimately the IP will expire and ‘may’ be replaced with an alternative.

Having the same exact issue with our front doorbell, which is closest to the WiFi router, so connection isn’t the issue. Our back doorbell and two cameras on the backyard are working just fine…quite far away from the router, too.

We’ve tried all the solutions above. Anything we tried would fix the issue for a couple minutes, but would eventually stop working.

We tried a double solution that seems to be working so far: 1) factory reset and 2) (this may not be an option for everyone, sorry) reconnect to the 5g WiFi instead of the 2g WiFi, even though the 2g signal was stronger. Or maybe vice versa - if you’re currently connected to the 2g, switch to 5g.

1 Like

Mine is now also broken. Just for others info. Here’s what I’ve tried.

I’m on a hardwired (Ethernet) elite doorbell. Worked fine for several weeks. I’m trying to display automatic live view on my Echo Show when someone rings doorbell. Everything works fine on my houshold iPad’s and iPhone’s. I can also connect to all my hardwired Ring Cams and doorbell manually. By using the _ show _ command.

As a workaround, I tried to create a routine to show front door on my echo show, on motion, and button press. That has also failed, although it works when you test it in the edit/create routine page.

I wonder if this may be a Sidewalk issue as all my devices are opted out/disabled?

This is a critical feature that should function as advertised.

Ring/Amazon please fix this.

:frowning:

Having the same issues with my doorbell 3, which was a replacement for a doorbell too which had started giving intermittent alerts.

Ring Doorbell 3 wouldn’t even connect to my UniFi AP so had to create a new network just for doorbell. Alerts all seem to work fine but like others have said, no live view unless immediately after a motion/ring alert.

It’s as though the doorbell goes to sleep. Tried adding all suggested firewall rules and hasn’t helped.

Was the echo just showing in your echo feed for thirty seconds then buffering and stopping? If so is this how you fixed the problem?

in order to enable live view go to device settings, then video settings, then enable live view

Just chiming in… I have the exact same issue, Live View will not conntect.
I’m on WiFi 5, on a Orbi Mesh from Google Fiber. Download/Upload speeds at the front door are 900mpbs at least.
The problem is not my network.

Tried the port forwarding suggestion on this thread and no change. After trying to fix this issue for a month or so, I’m starting to believe that the issue is with Ring. Live View will only work if a motion triggers the cam or if someone presses the doorbell. However, it will only work for like 10-20 seconds and then blackout. Hoping that Ring programmers are reading this thread.

4 Likes

They suck! Mines has been the same for a few weeks

1 Like

My live view on 3 cameras stopped working on 1-1-21. Everything was fine on 31st?
Rings new slogan is “Ring, it never works when you need it”

Useless piece of equipment . Had same problem live feed keeps dropping out . Rang support so many times in the end they sent a replacement . Again worked ok for a while but then soon stopped seeing live feed again, and its deffo not my network as have really good connection. Just feel iv wasted me money

Following same issue here

Had this problem with my Ring Doorbell 2 and Ring Spotlight cam. I get notifications with recorded videos from both and if someone rings the doorbell my Echo Show 8 alerts me with a video but live view will not connect. This has been going on for months. I have preordered a Wyze doorbell as a replacement but not sure what to do about the Spotlight cam. Guess I’ll replace it with a Wyze Cam Outdoor. I have three of those already and they work perfectly as do my other 5 Wyze cameras.

After looking through100 posts, appears no solution other than potentially connecting to 5gz WiFi. Unfortunately the doorbell will only allow connection to my 2.4
Stickupcam working well and ironically further from router.
Looks like I’ll have to invest in another brand of doorbell as this appears to be an issue with 1,2 and 3.

1 Like