Ring doorbell keep disconnecting from wifi

Ring doorbell disconnected from wi-fi when all other security system with camera cam are still connected to wi-fi!
Contacted support and they cannot do anything unless someone is physically on premises with my ring apps
I am 4000 miles from home and that means I am down until I get home! (Which will not be for three month) I purchased and installed system for when I am gone. Not a good security system if one has to run home each time wi-fi disconnects!

The only thing I can think of for you is to see if your internet provider can reboot your modem and router for you. The doorbell should reconnect automatically. When my power goes out, all my devices reconnect without any problems. Without knowing exactly why it disconnected, it’s hard to say why it did not reconnect.

2 Likes

It is a good recommnedation. The only catch is that one will have to periodically check if door bell is offline or online. I believe rebooting router may work but power cycling also work.

Rebooting the router does help sometimes, other times no. The Chime pro hardly ever looses wifi. Just seems a little silly to have to reboot the router once a day. Like in the original post, the doorbell is the only thing that looses connection. Nest smoke alarms, cameras, thermostat, myQ garage door monitor never have a problem. Checking the health on the doorbell always shows power is good while it is offline. After a while the doorbell will come back online on its own. May try to give a static address in the router for the doorbell.

Oliver Arck
Thanks for the response to my wi-fi disconnect on my ring 2. I had my son go over and re-boot the router to no avail. Power to the battery pack was up and door bell activated.
Sounds like Ring technical support
wants me to disconnect device and reconnect of course one needs to be on my Ring app. And on location.
So hoping you’re right and it will come on line on it’s own
Thanks

Rebooted the router; shut down all systems came back on except the ring 2 system! Security system and cam camera all ok although the ring 2 will not come on line!
Power to the ring 2 is good and take it from what I am reading the ring 2 has this weakness!

update!

I am now under the impression that cold weather is having an effect on the Ring 2 wi-fi loss of connection. Try warming the unit and see if that will restore wi-fi.

Hello everyone and thanks for all your replies and comments, I’ve come to the conclusion that the Ring Doorbell has a defect, I’ve rebooted the Modem, may times, exchange the Modem out as well, taken off the doorbell and did a reset and put back on. Moved the Wifi closer, it’s a Piece of you know what? anyway I am sticking to my Nite Owl system.

In my case temperature is not an influncer of the symptoms, my issue has been going on since spring of last year.

I agree with you. RingPro has a design defect. In my case it disconnects from WiFi when a visitor rings the bell. Something gets hung up inside the bell or in SW. Only power cycling the bell brings it back to life. So move on to a different brand.

I really wanted to like the Ring Pro. The design and fact you can change colors of the covers, but it was just unreliable and being the only device that wouldn’t stay connected it was not my network, wifi, transformer, etc. It was returned two days ago. I have a new one from another manufacturer and has worked flawlessly for two days now. Maybe in the future when there are imorovements to it, I will try again.

1 Like

I am in process of replacing my ringpro because of the problems and lack of support from ring. Have you looked at a few before deciding on the one you bought. Would you like to share your research.

Not to put down Ring, they make some really good products. I have Nest smoke detectors, thermostat and Camera, so I went with a Nest Hello.

I agree that Ring was a good product when it came out. Some of my friends still have earlier models and they are working. It is their reliability and lack of response from customer service who go by a script without understanding the issue that is frustrating for some of us who upgraded to Ringpro

1 Like

If never connected I have att&t nothing wrong with my router or services.But U do have 2 Tv with Roku on them that pops up when I’m trying to connect the ring could this be a problem.I’m and elderly person not to hop on these things and get up set when I can’t get them to work.

So spoke with Ring support last week and recieved a new power module. Not sure what difference it would make, but installed it none the less.

Rebooted the router got a connection. But same symptom, after a few days it has no wifi connection. I’ve tried both DHCP and Static IP addresses with the same result. When it’s in the disconnected state, I can still ping it, but the device still says that it’s lost connection until a reboot.

Going to contact support the next time I’m at home and take another whack at it.

Wow… Another purchase when the first purchase isn’t working correctly! Are you serious??

My Ring 2 worked for a few months but lost wifi connection and could not re-connect. I tried reconnecting including pulling battery and/or rebooting router many times to no avail. I thought it was just a bad unit. Luckily I got it from Costco so I returned it and bought a new one. But this time it only worked for two weeks before the same problem happened. I also have two Ring Floodcams that are firmly connected all this time. Call Ring Help who was totally useless. Any help is appreciated.

I have the same problem and as you stated Ring Tech help is “No HELP!” It keeps disconnecting on my iPhone, I figured it’s some kind of defect, gonna buy real security camera system instead. I got the Ring doorbell from my ex-son-in-law cause he seen it was needed. I do appreciate him doing this. Just get something more reliable. Good Luck!

My first Ring Doorbell2 lasted for almost a year before losing wifi connection and would not reconnect. Returned and bought new one. Same thing happened after two weeks. Resettign etc did not help. Technical support was a joke. Finally got it reconnected by first removing the device from the app and then set up as a new device.

I expect it will lose connection soon and have to repeat same steps. Clearly a bug in the app software.