Ring doorbell 2020 : Starting from scratch

Today my ring doorbell was useless. So - before calling Amazon directly and complaining I removed the device and reinstalled it on a totally new network (different router). At this moment everything would appear to be happy. My current RSSI is -61 as reported via the newly installed app version - 3.33…0. I believe the ONLY change I have made is to set the motion frequency to frequent. I’ve no idea what the firmware version is.

Interestingly - I was once again offered the physical (feet) option for the motion detection and I set that to 30 feet (which may have been the default).

I will make no physical/configuration changes to this setup and will monitor/report behavior here. I suspect the RSSI (now -61) will for some reason degrade quietly over time (or via forced software upgrades). Let’s see.

5:14 pm - my samsung tablet reports " Ring keeps stopping" when I attempt to do a live view… I ‘forced stopped’ the app and now live view worked. Event history shows the live view and the RSSI is still -61.

5:30 pm: I walked out my front gate, waited perhaps a minute, and then re-entered the gate.

The first video showed me exiting.

When I first clicked on the second video it was ‘crickets’ for 50 seconds. No movement.

When I clicked on the second video again it immediately showed me within inches of the doorbell. Not me walking towards the doorbell from 30 feet away.

If I click on the second video again the interim video is gone. (leaving only the close-up)

If ring development knows about these issues they should own up to them.

Edit : RSSI still -61

5:54 pm - changed the motion frequency from frequent to standard and repeated the above experiment.

Only one motion event was captured, that of me exiting the front gate.

My returning to the doorbell let’s say 2 minutes later was not captured at all - not even when I was within inches of the device.

Is this expected behavior ? Please - anyone…

What are the proper expectations ?

RSSI still -61.

6:03 pm - just noticed that the motion sensitivity slider is currently set to something like 66% or so (2 thirds between min and max). At no point did I set this. Setting to max. Will pick this thread up again in daylight…

RSSI still -61.

Edit : maybe I am asking too much of this device. If I were to mount one of the ring cameras in the same general area as the doorbell and set the doorbell up as merely a ‘doorbell’ might I get better results ?

5:30 am - There are 3 new motion events overnight, all 3 capture nearby leafy branches moving due to a mild breeze. I’ll trim them back later.

This morning I changed the video recording length from 20s to 15s. Hoping that helps ring detect motion events which occur minutes apart. I’ve also reset the motion frequency back to frequent.

RSSI -60 this morning.

Edit : mildly interesting. As of yet I have not changed the motion zones from their defaults from when I reinitialized the device. The motion settings page has an image which includes a blue arc with 4 zones. 3 of the zones are segmented like a rolette(?) wheel. The lower/inner zone is exactly where the motion event begins on the return from our walk…

6:20 AM - my samsung tablet complains of ‘Frequent crashes’ from the ring app. asks me to put the app to sleep.

Live view not working at the moment.

Went for our early morning walk. The motion picked up our leaving although it is odd how the video starts out in color but then switches over to black and white a few seconds in. On the video of our return the video starts when we are about 5 feet from the device.

Live view now working. RSSI -61 Battery 99%

Edit : mildly interesting. As of yet I have not changed the motion zones from their defaults from when I reinitialized the device. The motion settings page has an image which includes a blue arc with 4 zones. 3 of the zones are segmented like a rolette(?) wheel. The lower/inner zone is exactly where the motion event begins on the return from our walk…

I selected the ‘edit zone’ push button. The app apparently created a default zone for me which is perfect. It encompasses exactly the region I would like to capture. I will not ‘drag any circles’ around at this point.

3:00 pm monday : Well I simply had to modify the motion zone to get this to work as I wanted, and at the moment it certainly does appear to be working more or less as desired. I really have no way of knowing if all motions are properly detected, but motions some 30 ft or so away are detected. Earlier I did cut down recording length to 15s and now I get many (2 maybe 3) per minute for the same ‘event’. I have to refine that some.

The ‘ring’ function of the door bell seems to work as well. The sound was fine when I clicked on the green icon on the video. The video itself was pretty bad (choppy).

If Amazon was willing to ship me an Echo Show to Mexico (at a price in line with that in the US) I would try to integrate that function. At this moment I’m not sure what the best way is to answer the doorbell. I can put my tablet on the table in the living room. When the doorbell rings the tablet DOES talk but then I have to go to the tablet, wake it up, swipe, enter the app, etc. I honestly don’t know.

Is the Echo Show the best/most timely way to answer the doorbell ?

btw - unfortunately the RSSI has begun to degrade. It is now -66. Physically nothing has changed and in terms of our network neighborhood it is much more quiet than it was during the weekend (everyone has returned to work).

Hi @charlies. Thanks for sharing such detailed documentation of your trials. For this concern, I would recommend a Chime Pro. This serves two purposes. One is to play a Chime when someone rings your Doorbell and the other is a wifi extender. This should help your RSSI degradation. You can find out more about the Chime Pro here. I would also look over these Community articles on Motion Frequency and Motion Zones to optimize your Doorbells performance. I hope this helps!