Ring doorbell 2020 release NOT working

hi i was given a ring doorbell 2020 release i fitted it last month and used the 30 day free to try and get it the motion detection to work witch i have not got it to work . this is how i have it set up i have a wheelchair ramp that is 1 in 12 the ramp is 16ft long by 1ft high the bell is 5ft up from the ramp and the ball does not pick up people until they are 3ft from the door but if someone walks past the edge of my zone that is 16ft away and their shadow is 1inch into the zone it sets off the motion detection i was talking to someone at ring on twitter last night and showed them the zone and told them about the ramp and they said try a wedge kit witch i made and 3d printed my own to test it out before buying one but that just made it worse i have also reset them doorbell and deleted it from the app and set it up again and it just does not wont to do what its made to do so. i just paid for a year today to see if i can get it to work because i want to use it and i cant take it off the door because i’ll have 5 holes in the door ;( i have seen ALOT of people having this and some have put it down to the last app update that added the zones . but can anyone HELP me / us with this because at the end of the day its a lot of money for something that dont really work .

@scarab The ideal height for a Ring Doorbell is about 4 feet. I was thinking a wedge might help to even this out with your ramp. Have you tried people only mode?

1 Like

yes i made a wedge today and tested it with 2 different people and i get the same thing we even tried different walking speeds too and yes tried every setting i have even had my brother take a look because he has multiple ring devices and he cant seem to get it to work.

Hi @scarab. It appears that most of these concerns are rooted from the Doorbells placement/Motion settings. I would read about optimizing your Doorbells motion detection in this Community post here. The tips and tricks in that post should get you in the ballpark of where you want to be.

If you are still having this concern, try posting a picture of your Doorbells view, so the Community can help identify any issues that need to be addressed. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi sorry for lack of updates but i was running tests and seeing what happen . what i have done sofar i built my garden in sketchup i put the doorbell to the height i have it at now and found out the angle i needed to make the bell think its at the 48 inches above the ground at the edge of my garden when people enter the motion zone so i 3d painted a 6 degree wedge and set all settings to max and it triggered twice where people came in the zone and thats it. i had a power cut and took a day before i could reconnect the bell to the wifi. but now it seems to be only triggering half way back up the ramp so im back to square one. i have been looking over my old videos and it looks like when the garden is in full sun the triggers are halfed in length . so i dont know

Hi @scarab. Thanks for sharing your results. If you can, try sharing a picture of a Doorbell so the Community can help offer suggestions about its placement. Alternatively, you can contact our support team for the next best steps.

Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.