Ring Doorbell 2 suddenly has phantom motion alerts

After my last post, and with no other changes it appears that the doorbell is working as designed?! I am unsure what changed, but if it stays this way I will be a happy customer!!

Ha! I just had a false alert which made me look at these posts again to see if there was any fixes. Still not fixed for me.

1 Like

Same thing here, 18 alerts between midnight and 7 AM. Have to shut the succer down to get sleep. Seems it is going nuts during the night but have false alerts during the day as well but not so frequent. Will start looking at other options.

1 Like

My Ring Doorbell 2 started having phantom alerts a couple of days ago. I have had this doorbell for over a year without ANY problems. Now these alerts are rendering the unit a brick regarding it’s primary purpose. With as many as 4-5 alerts per hour, day or night, I’ve now had to turn off alerts. Ring should fess up and reverse out the firmware update that has caused this.

4 Likes

Wow, I’ve been having the same issue as others here, phantom alerts going on a month now. Totally forgot to check this forum. I’m glad I’m not the only one but the ridiculous canned answers by Ring seems typical of a company’s Support group.

I have mine mounted on a piece of wood in the garage just to see what would happen and it goes off randomly every 3 to 18 minutes. Battery dropped 10% overnight.

It’s obviously something they did in a firmware update.

FIX THE ISSUE, RING!!!

I posted my complaint on the Ring Facebook page and got a response. I suggested that they look at this community forum.

Here’s an update:

Out of nowhere, I’ve had long spells with zero phantom notifications only to be disappointed with random spells of 4 in one hour. This can only be explained by firmware since there’s been no changes on my end. Not sure what I’m going to do since I won’t have any patience if the first tier support asks me dumb questions when I’ve already done all the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

1 Like

Ok I am sorry to say that after two weeks of the doorbell working perfect on Saturday night the 21st. it is giving me alerts every hour to hour and a half constantly. I am not sure what Ring did with the firmware now, but it definately is broke again. @Marley_ring if you are monitoring you need to escalate this please?!

Update:

Worked better for a few days (3-4 phantom motions per day). Then yesterday, seemingly starting after a true motion, it’s been going off 3-4 times per hour! Again, nothing has changed on my end. Sounds like Ring is experimenting with firmware “fixes” that are then replaced again with bad “fixes”. Ring, if you’re listening, this is totally unaccepatable! I’ve effectively not had a functioning Ring system for weeks now!

Some days it works fine. Today I’m getting a phantom notification every 30 minutes or so. I no longer check the motion alerts, which totally defeats the purpose of owning it. I was going to buy one of these for work, but I’m going to look else where.

Ring Doorbell 2: Started last night around 11pm EST. The motion alert goes off twice in a row, almost exactly every 20 minutes all night long. Had to turn off all chimes and notifications to get any sleep.
I have a replacement battery charging now to swap out when I get home from work, but after reading all these comments, I’m not so hopeful it will resolve the issue.
I am somewhat worried that it may have something to do with all the security and hacking issues we’ve been hearing about with the Ring devices…

It’s possible that Ring introduced a problem because of hacks, but I doubt it. The problems with phantom motions goes back to Oct 2019 when the Ring Doorbell Pro first started having reports of the problem. Ring has stated that the hacks are from users having their simple passwords hacked. From other comments it appears that Ring is attempting to “tweak” the motion sensitivity via firmware and are essentially using all of us as beta testers.

I get False motion every 5-15 minutes - 24/7. I’ve even tried taking the doorbell off and to put it in a drawer - still got motion. I just use it as a doorbell and a video recorder.

Update: I’ve experienced several days of normal behavior, i.e. notifications of _ actual motion detection _, but it didn’t last. I’ve had at least 10 false notifications in the last 12 hours. This inconsistency suggests that Ring is making firmware updates that seemingly work but then fail again. Pretty bad!

Update: It’s been 5-6 days of normal/expected behavior. No phantom motions/notifications. Apparently just like when Ring updated the firmware and “broke” the unit, it is now fixed. Hey Ring: change the app interface to show the version number and date updated instead of just “up to date”. That way we’ll all know when you’re pushing updates without our knowledge and allow us to participate in the troubleshooting process.

1 Like

Same here. Video Doorbell 2 seems to be operating properly in the past couple weeks. Still missing some valid motion alerts, but I have come to expect it at this point.

I am enrolled in the beta testing program, and they would typically run these tests/updates through there before sending out to the public, but I haven’t seen anything for testing in a while.

1 Like

Hey neighbors! Thank you for sharing your observations and results from testing motion. We are always working to optimize or add to our device and application features. This will often come in the form of an application or firmware update.

It sounds like motion is now operating as intended, but if any concerns persist you will want to check for any updates through the app. Please also ensure to follow the Beta Guidelines and NDA.

Same here, suddenly it’s going off constantly! This needs to be fixed and is very likely a SW bug from an update. Fix this Ring! smh!

My Ring2 worked fine for about a year and then (around the same time most of the messages started coming in (mid November, 2019) mine began giving false alerts. I have charged the battery, reset the Ring to no avail. The other night I had 44 Ring alerts. During the day, I average about 3 per hour but not with any regularity. I happens while I’m standing there looking out at absolutely no movement. You’d think that with so many calls coming in that Ring support would address or at least acknowledge that there’s a problem. We all can’t be doing the same things wrong!

Exactly! How they could even post a link to “how our cameras work” with a straight face is beyond me. 3yrs this thing has worked flawlessley and suddenly it alerts for absolutely no reason and it’s to the point we might rip the POS off the door frame and all because Ring refuses to respond to this seriously.

It’s obviously a SW issue so release an update Ring!

1 Like