Ring door view cam extension/adapter

Agreed.
Was really interested in this product but my door (which I share with many others as stated in this thread) has a thickness greater then 55mm (in my case 60mm). So sadly it went directly back to where I bought it.

If you release a newer generation of this (since the current one is discounted and I assume that this might be because a new generation is in the works) please support thicker doors or at least sell an extension-kit.

In Europe the standard ENV1627 seems to be the document that stipulates various requirements to adhere to the standard, unable to read out any specific thickness of the door itself but might be a good resource to check so a newer version or an extension-kit for the existing one works with the majority of doors (in Europe).

Kind regards - Karl

6 Likes

I’m exactly the same. My door is too wide to be able to ‘lock’ both sides of the device together with the screw that needs to be placed on the inside. The cable is connected and it’s working but it’s not secure.

Has anyone found a solution to this? I’ve bought extensions online but due to the backplate of the internal section none are tailored to fit!

2 Likes

Same here
65mm door
The Ring I bought is useless.
Please help

1 Like

In Germany the minimum for external House Doors is 60mm …

So if ring want to sell more in Germany, they have to support longer cables.

didn’t really understand the limitation by this kind of short cable. Any other digital peephole cam on the market has longer cable.

1 Like

I’m in the uk and have 70mm thick door, so an extension would be really useful. I’m in a rented property and don’t have permission to install a different model, so that advice from Ring is useless to me. The peephole one is the least permanent option and ideal for renters. Please Ring, listen to your potential customers and provide an extension!

2 Likes

My door is 65mm composite door and had this problem today.

Can fix it with -
M10 bolt (head off) or threaded bar, I used the old spyhole threaded tube so still have the manual spyhole working.
Hacksaw
M10 tap

The profile of the bit that goes through the door limits what you can do to sort as it’s flat top and bottom.
First I cut the threaded part of the ring doorbell in half, then used an M10 tap to thread inside it. The flat part may cut through so only go about 2/3 turns in, it’s all that’s needed to grip and hold.

Repeat the other side that you’ve cut but be careful as it’s very weak and will crush easily if you put too much pressure on it when holding it. Use vice grips over a vice.

Join with the threaded bar or whatever you’ve used.

As you can see it all went back together perfectly and I’ve a happy wife :relaxed:

Google Photos

5 Likes

We appreciate this feedback, neighbors! We’ve shared this thread with our teams here for further consideration. At this time, there is not a way to extend or a mounting option for doors that are thinner or thicker than the recommended dimensions (30 - 55mm / 1.2 - 2.2 inches).

@Niall, Thank you for sharing your solution with the Community! This may work for many neighbors in a similar situation, however, please keep in mind that any major alterations to a Ring device could result in functionality that is not intended or even voiding of the warranty. Of course, adjusting unattached mounting hardware for DIY mounting solutions is ok.

As we always value our neighbors’ feedback, feel free to add this request on our Feature Request Board. This way other neighbors can share their interest in one place, that we can organize and routinely share with our teams here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Opened this in feature request, didn’t seem to already be one - Door view cam extension

4 Likes

Thanks for the initiative!
Please people upvote his idea (go to his post in the feature request sub-forum and click the vote-button) so Ring can sort this.

3 Likes

@Niall ,

What did you do with the cable?
I get it that you somehow extended the spyhole, but isn’t the cable supposed to be long enough, to perfectly fit into the case that is installed indoors?

Well, I tried to see if extending the spyhole will work, but in my case, even then, the cable was too short to fix the cable’s socket into the case. The spare cable seems to have the same length.
Am I a lost cause?

1 Like

How can we extend the cable to reach the connector?

1 Like

Dear @Marley_Ring , hi,
do you have any updates regarding an official adapter/extension by Ring?
Its a pity that we bought a device worth 160 EUR and cannot use it, for only a few mm (personally i have a gap of 4mm).
If not any solution is available, what about Ring providing us just a file for 3D-printing an extension/adapter in various lenghts or a slightly bigger nut?
Below a link of a brass extender for your better understanding (it is useless for us, since Ring uses different bolt thread pitch) maybe can do something similar with correct pitch size?

Hope for your understanding and support to owners of your products. :kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Hello folks @Ring, after change of domicile I can’t use my Ring Door View Cam anymore. The thickness of my new door is about 72 mm. I am int the need of something like an ‘extension kit’ or - at least - longer cable (about 20mm longer than the original one). Here in Germany I am definitely not alone with this problem - all newer appartments are equipped with doors thicker than 55mm! Hoping for a solution & sending greetings from Lower Saxony - Kurt

2 Likes

Agree 100% with this… EU door are much thicker, and some sort of extension kit needs to be made available…

2 Likes

Urgh… I have the exact same issue… 4mm difference but can’t find an adaptor…

I have the same problem, moved to a new apartment and the door is 65 mm thick is there anything I can do to?

Love this product but can’t use it in a new house. The door is too thick for it.

Thank you so much Niall! Your solution worked very good!

@Ring! You should be ashamed of yourself. It’s not about the Ring device not fitting MY door. It doesn’t fit ANY modern door in any of the Scandinavian country’s. Why are you marketing it over here and selling it everywhere?

You have known about the situation from this community for over 2 years and you haven’t bothered to resolve it. Not even with a simple adapter you guys could have manufactured very easy. You could even have sold it separately and profited from it.

You also took the product off the market and you recently brought it back, even over here in Scandinavia. Why?

Since you don’t care about the community and our feedback, I will personally not buy any other Ring product again until we see some changes.

Hi,

Any news about this??

Regards,
Paulo

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.